Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > skinning

skinning
TheConstantEvolution
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2007, 02:48 PM

i want to skin os x. the problem is that everything i find is just new colors and icons and backgrounds. i'm looking for more. i'm looking for something entirely different.

back when i used weendoze, i had the whole thing skinned out in an lcars theme.
i wanna skin osx with lcars.

anybody point me int he right direction?

also, i'm using osx 10.4.10

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2007, 02:18 PM

Grab a screenshot of your old desktop and get to work in ThemePark! Okay that was not helpful... LCARS will not translate well in OSX but give it a shot, maybe we just need some new eyes to see something we all missed while trying. I recommend trying some MODs before a scratch build. Here is some direction in MODding. Welcome and good luck.

DankOnlee21
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2007, 01:21 AM

Mac OS X SUCKS when it comes to any type of visual customization. For an OS that is all about individuality, I can't understand why.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2007, 11:16 AM

I agree, its harder then it should be, and what you exactly can change is limited. Even the skinning engine, can interfere with other apps. I had SS on my machine, but APE just gave me problems so much so that I gave up on it

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 20, 2007, 11:19 AM

As long as you don't go too far away from OS X's theme you can change LITTLE things.

For example I am going to change all the scrollbars and the stoplight widgets in 10.5
So as far as being able to customize the GUI you can without SS. You just have more limitations.

I made an OS 9 theme called Sosumi back in the day without having to use SS.

SS isn't REQUIRED to run a theme. Some theme makers even have installers they offer instead of the SS theme.

stevebez
Dec 5, 2007, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Some theme makers even have installers they offer instead of the SS theme.
What! Who?

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 5, 2007, 03:11 PM

Well Max did. But that doesn't matter. These themes really don't "Work" in 10.5 anymore.

The only thing that would change basically is the scroll thumbs, scroll bars, and scroll track. The rest 10.5 draws differently. And has nothing to do with the Extras.rsrc file.

Forum Links
Forum Rules