Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Login problems

Login problems
Titanium Man
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2008, 08:53 PM

Is anybody else having problems with logging in to comment on articles? I can't seem to do so, even though I can log into the forums just fine. When I try on an article, I get, "The login authentication failed. Please re-enter your login information." This is autofill information and therefore can't possibly be wrong. I even tried typing the information in manually and still no go. It happens on all the NN sites, including Electronista.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 28, 2008, 09:15 PM

Please note that the main MacNN page is quite separate from the forums. We on staff don't have access to anything behind the scenes on the main page.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Titanium Man  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2008, 10:38 PM

Yes, but the instructions clearly say "In order to post comments: If you are a registered member, please login with your MacNN Forums username and password." Which clearly does not work for me. I've tried at least ten times on several different articles. Something is wrong with the site and the programmers should be told.

Cold Warrior
Nov 28, 2008, 10:40 PM

I get the same thing.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 29, 2008, 12:46 AM

I've logged into the news articles a few times in the past to comment. It worked as expected, but doing so wipes our forum cookie - I have to log in again on the next forum visit. This was annoying enough that I seldom comment on news stories.

Checked just now, news login failed. And the most recent News stories all have no comments. Most recent news comment: 5+ hours ago. (6:28 PM EST)

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 29, 2008, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Titanium Man View Post
Yes, but the instructions clearly say "In order to post comments: If you are a registered member, please login with your MacNN Forums username and password." Which clearly does not work for me. I've tried at least ten times on several different articles. Something is wrong with the site and the programmers should be told.
Sorry about that. I was not aware that the main page login messed with the forum cookies.

It looks a lot like there's something amiss with the main page's login code. I just tried and had the same login failure everyone else is talking about. We'll see if that messed up my forum cookie too...

Later... No, it doesn't seem to have hurt anything for me.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cold Warrior
Nov 29, 2008, 11:09 AM

I've had the same cookie problems too where it logs me out of the forums. However, since we can't login to the comments, it's probably not doing anything with our forum cookies at the moment.

lexapro
Baninated
Dec 2, 2008, 03:29 AM

Yes this is annoying. Can it be speedily fixed?

Rumor
Dec 2, 2008, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by lexapro View Post
Yes this is annoying. Can it be speedily fixed?
I am pretty sure that the forum staff have little, if anything, to do with the main site.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 2, 2008, 04:44 PM

Try submitting the problem here. They won't bite.

Forum Links
Forum Rules