Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Do the keys hit the display on the current Powerbooks?

Do the keys hit the display on the current Powerbooks?
striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2004, 03:31 PM

If you close your Alumminum Powerbook without anything between the keyboard and display do the keys mar the display?

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2004, 03:45 PM

Not on the 12". If the 15" and 17" are pressed in the center (where the apple is), I think they touch the key's but that's only on a forced issue. In other words, these PB don't have the display marking problem of the TI's, but don't quote me on any of this because I only own a 12", and have relatives with the other models.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

SpaceRockness
Sep 22, 2004, 04:26 PM

I'd say it depends upon how much pressure is squeezing the PowerBook closed, on my 15" PowerBook(1.25Ghz) it does touch the screen a bit if I don't use a cloth to give some protection. If your a uni student it'll surely get squeezed closed by a heavy book... esp psychology textbooks and that issue made myself get a 12" PB.

On my 12" PowerBook(1.33Ghz) it doesn't touch the keyboard because of the slightly larger rubber buttons on the top corners. I could put two uni psychology textbooks upon my PB's lid for 5-8 lb of pressure and the keys still wouldn't touch the screen. On the other hand this may change considering I just bought it over the weekend and I'm only on day three of classes and ownership.

also I feel stupid for buying a new PowerBook in such a short period of time... blah I need to invest in Apple now

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 22, 2004, 04:49 PM

On the 15", yes, but not as much as in previous models.

tooki

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2004, 05:17 PM

I've read that these protect the screen from touching the keyboard, look pretty safe to me but I have a 12" and therefore I don't really need it.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

StevenWRX
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2004, 10:42 AM

i use the radtech screen cushions on my new 17"

no problems.
-Rev. C PowerBook 17" 1.5GHz
-iPod Mini 4gb Silver (Rev. B)
-Gaming Rig: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester, Asus A8N-E, 2 Gig Corsair XMS, nVidia GeForce 7900GT PCI-E, Seagate 320gb Barracuda HDD, Samsung 16X Dual Layer w/ LightScribe, Thermaltake Tsunami, Antec 550W True Power 2.0, Saitek Eclipse Keyboard, Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse, Samsung 19" 931B.

ryju
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2004, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
On the 15", yes, but not as much as in previous models.

tooki
They don't seem to touch mine at all, or I just haven't noticed any marks or whatnot.

Fiend
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2004, 11:44 AM

No touching on my 12" rev c.

Josh Reid
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2004, 03:40 PM

DEFINITELY touching (proved by oil marks on screen the shape of the keys) on my 12" Rev B Powerbook. When the screen is closed, the keys don't look to be touching the screen, but they do just enough on the edges to put the oil marks all over my screen

I was using a sheet of paper as a screen protector for a while but got lazy...and have since gotten marks on the screen. Not many, and not noticable when the computer is in use....but being able to see them when the screen is turned off & on an angle still bothers me and is something Apple should fix...especially after their portables doing this for the past..what, at least four years.

-Josh

JBgrim
Sep 23, 2004, 08:20 PM

15" 1.5Ghz Al book. I just took a good look at my screen, there's a fine layer of dust and no indication of the buttons touching as the dust layer is uniform.

I find it hard to believe that Apple of all companies would design a laptop where the screen could be damaged by it's own keyboard. But I guess anything is possible.

Forum Links
Forum Rules