Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > question about macbook packaging.

question about macbook packaging.
StevenWRX
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2006, 09:04 AM

just a simple question..

is the macbook supposed to ship from the factory with clear plastic protection tape all over the outside of the computer (on the computer itself once you remove it from the box) that you need to peel off??

i remember the ibook had plastic tape around it from the factory that you had to peel off.. just checking to see how the macbook ships..

thanks..
( Last edited by StevenWRX; Jun 9, 2006 at 09:35 AM. )
-Rev. C PowerBook 17" 1.5GHz
-iPod Mini 4gb Silver (Rev. B)
-Gaming Rig: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester, Asus A8N-E, 2 Gig Corsair XMS, nVidia GeForce 7900GT PCI-E, Seagate 320gb Barracuda HDD, Samsung 16X Dual Layer w/ LightScribe, Thermaltake Tsunami, Antec 550W True Power 2.0, Saitek Eclipse Keyboard, Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse, Samsung 19" 931B.

snoopy199
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2006, 09:06 AM

I bought my MB at the applestore and it did indeed have plastic protective tape on the outside of the computer (but not the ventelation grill).

StevenWRX  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2006, 09:12 AM

sticky clear tape all over or a fabric type slip cover?

just trying to clarify some stuff.. thanks
-Gaming Rig: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester, Asus A8N-E, 2 Gig Corsair XMS, nVidia GeForce 7900GT PCI-E, Seagate 320gb Barracuda HDD, Samsung 16X Dual Layer w/ LightScribe, Thermaltake Tsunami, Antec 550W True Power 2.0, Saitek Eclipse Keyboard, Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse, Samsung 19" 931B.

bkpbc1
Jun 9, 2006, 10:13 AM

(As for mine Both.

StevenWRX  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2006, 10:17 AM

very interesting.. i guess they are shipping them differently during different times of productions.. some are shipping with a fabric type sleeve and some have plastic tape.

i wonder why?

snoopy199
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2006, 10:32 AM

Mine had both, you first post didn't ask if the MB arrived in a protective sleeve and had the protective plastic tape.

Not only was it in a sleeve but the same fabric was inbetween the keyboard and display.

StevenWRX  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2006, 10:42 AM

so you had to peel your clear tape off the outside of your macbook?

the only ones ive seen have the fabric sleeve with a small warning label sticker. once you take it out of the sleeve, their is no additional protective tape to protect the surface of the macbook.

snoopy199
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2006, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by StevenWRX

the only ones ive seen have the fabric sleeve with a small warning label sticker. once you take it out of the sleeve, their is no additional protective tape to protect the surface of the macbook.
Yup, and before I could peal the clear tape off, I had to break the sticker seal in that kept the flap on the fabric (or what ever it is) and removed the MB from that sleave.

maximusbibicus
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2006, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by StevenWRX

Mine was the same thing. Fabric sleeve with warning sticker, no plastic protecting the case. Piece of foam between the keyboard and screen. I would feel better if the case was wrapped in plastic. Also, the power button didn't have the orange sticker Apple laptops normally do.
Macbook 2ghz|2GB|160GB|SD
Mac Mini 1.83ghz|4GB|320GB 7200RPM|Combo
Mac Mini 1.83ghz|4GB|320GB 7200RPM|Combo
iMac 500mhz|768MB|30GB|DVD
iPod Nano 4GB iPod Shuffle 1GB iPhone 16GB White & 8GB Black

masugu
Senior User
Jun 9, 2006, 12:34 PM

Got my BlacBook at the San Francisco Apple store. Was in a sleeve / had to "break the seal" but no protective tape. Maybe the black paint would have flaked off. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2006, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by maximusbibicus
Mine was the same thing. Fabric sleeve with warning sticker, no plastic protecting the case. Piece of foam between the keyboard and screen. I would feel better if the case was wrapped in plastic. Also, the power button didn't have the orange sticker Apple laptops normally do.
Every single Apple laptop I've sold in the past year and a half was wrapped in a sleeve/bag (either sheet foam or fabric) with a warning sticker taping shut the flap, and a foam sheet between the screen and the keyboard.

Nothing else.

And that includes all MacBook Pros and MacBooks.

The orange sticker was on the iBooks, and it had nothing to do with the power button - it explained that you needed to press the eject key to eject an optical medium, that's all.

StevenWRX  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2006, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
Every single Apple laptop I've sold in the past year and a half was wrapped in a sleeve/bag (either sheet foam or fabric) with a warning sticker taping shut the flap, and a foam sheet between the screen and the keyboard.

Nothing else.

And that includes all MacBook Pros and MacBooks.

ok, thats what i thought..

Forum Links
Forum Rules