Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Are Later Models Cooler?

Are Later Models Cooler?
bo989
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2006, 02:37 AM

I recently posted about my experience at the Apple Store. I found that all of the MBs and MBPs on display ran very hot. These units were likely from the early production runs. I am wondering if anyone can comment on whether the more recent builds of either laptop run cooler? Also, how much cooler is each laptop when running off battery vs. being plugged in?

StevenWRX
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2006, 09:20 AM

my friends and i ordered 4 macbook's together and received them a few days ago. We dont hear any "whine" "moos" or other noises. Also our temps hover around 55c.. and peak around 65c.

it gets warm, but not scalding hot like some people are saying.
-Rev. C PowerBook 17" 1.5GHz
-iPod Mini 4gb Silver (Rev. B)
-Gaming Rig: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester, Asus A8N-E, 2 Gig Corsair XMS, nVidia GeForce 7900GT PCI-E, Seagate 320gb Barracuda HDD, Samsung 16X Dual Layer w/ LightScribe, Thermaltake Tsunami, Antec 550W True Power 2.0, Saitek Eclipse Keyboard, Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse, Samsung 19" 931B.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2006, 10:33 AM

Mine cooled after owning it for a few weeks. I don't know why.

Heavy
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2006, 11:44 AM

Mine's one of the first and I've never felt it scorching hot either. Warm yeah, but I never use it on my lap anyhow, so I don't care.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2006, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Hi I'm Ben
Mine cooled after owning it for a few weeks. I don't know why.
Do you have before/after temps? Or was it just a perceived cooling?

All glory to the hypnotoad.

masugu
Senior User
Jun 17, 2006, 04:05 PM

I know where to look to find info about the machine....but where do I look to specifically find the rev of the MB / how do I decode when it was made???
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2006, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by masugu
I know where to look to find info about the machine....but where do I look to specifically find the rev of the MB / how do I decode when it was made???
Check this post.

masugu
Senior User
Jun 17, 2006, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Simon
Check this post.

Thanks Simon.

I used the tool you linked to. I did not get the actual city in China like you did, but I know my MB was made in workweek 22. Wonder if these guys are doing anything with all the serial numbers
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

The Ancient One
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2006, 09:07 PM

My week 21 MacBook runs fairly hot but not "scalding" by any means. Off topic, I was very pleasantly surprised by the Excel and FileMaker Pro performance under Rosetta. Pretty much on a par with my late dual 800 which recently suffered an untimely end about four years after eating a bolt of lightning through the ethernet port (logic board failure). Now if Apple would just ship those new Mac Pro boxes...
The first commandment of ALL religions is to provide a comfortable living for the priesthood.

HarriganC
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2006, 10:00 PM

I ordered my blackbook the day they were released and received it about a week later. Mine runs around 65 when running Adium, Camino, iTunes, Entourage, generally what I have going whenever I'm using it, that leaves the bottom case fairly warm, but by no means hot, or uncomfortable. When I really tax it, I have to say, I have to TRY to do this, because for the most part my normal usage isn't really all that intensive.. it heats up to 80ish, and then the fans blare and bring it back into the 60's relatively quickly. However, I must say, at 80, and during the cooling process, the bottom case is extremely warm, and could be uncomfortable if I were wearing shorts. (I still don't think I would use scalding to describe)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2006, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by masugu
Thanks Simon.

I used the tool you linked to. I did not get the actual city in China like you did, but I know my MB was made in workweek 22. Wonder if these guys are doing anything with all the serial numbers
You're welcome. MacBooks are manufactured in Suzhou, China, close to Shanghai where they get airfreighted from.

Lucky8
Forum Regular
Jun 18, 2006, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by StevenWRX
my friends and i ordered 4 macbook's together and received them a few days ago. We dont hear any "whine" "moos" or other noises. Also our temps hover around 55c.. and peak around 65c.

it gets warm, but not scalding hot like some people are saying.
Mine also hovers around 55c.. and peak around 65c but my trackpad button is not responsive unless I hit dead on the middle.
Went to Apple retail store to see if they can replace it for me but they don't even have the part in-stock.
Should I exchange my MacBook?

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2006, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82
Do you have before/after temps? Or was it just a perceived cooling?
It was running 65-70C. Now runs 60-65C. Well.. actually I just checked it. 54C.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2006, 07:24 PM

My week 20 AND week 23 macBooks both had the same build quality and temperature averaging at 65-70.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2006, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lucky8
Mine also hovers around 55c.. and peak around 65c but my trackpad button is not responsive unless I hit dead on the middle.
Went to Apple retail store to see if they can replace it for me but they don't even have the part in-stock.
Should I exchange my MacBook?

I had the same problem and they just exchanged the whole unit for me and even offered to transfer the information.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

photoeditor
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2006, 02:57 AM

My week 22 runs cool enough -- idling or light browsing performance typically in the mid 50s -- and is free of sleep problems, hard disk vibrations or most other irritations --- but there is a serious noise problem similar to the whine when charging.

There are loud sizzling noises from the AC adapter and the identical noises in unison except quieter coming from the computer itself. The only thing that stops the sound is the battery becoming fully charged, the computer being put to sleep, or an application being opened (the sound immediately returns after the app is open). Having a demanding app open like PhotoBooth reduces the sound but does not eliminate it, and the sound returns fully after it is closed.

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2006, 03:44 AM

bring it in

Forum Links
Forum Rules