Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Buy MBP now or wait for Merom?

Buy MBP now or wait for Merom?
spice003
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2006, 05:31 PM

I'm trying to buy a MBP was just wondering i should wait for the new ones with Merom chip or buy one now. will the new chip make a big difference? i know 4MB L2 should. thanx for your advices

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2006, 05:41 PM

Wait. It will be out within 60 days.

In addition to the extra cache, it has an additional execution unit. Performance is up about 20%, but power consumption is the same.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2006, 07:42 PM

Well, it's a given that Apple will soon update to Merom... Now what I'm really wondering if there will be any case design changes or do those usually happen at 'keynote' moments (who knows when the next one is!?) I can't even remember the unveiling of the macbook.. was it at a keynote event? Oh well.. It would be nice to have the dual layer burner in these things though!! OR better yet.. bluray tech.. But that'll be awhile I bet...

Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2006, 08:27 PM

Apple could hold a press event to release a new case, but I doubt they will change the case.

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006, 08:41 PM

why wait? i mean when you buy the merom a week or so after a new one will be released and you will be outdated.
like a car the moment the car is driven out of the lot it looses its value same with the computer the moment you pay and and you open the pc its value goes down.

so if you want it buy it why try to stay on top of techonlogy when it will always stay on top of you?
you dont think they already know how far to push a product? dont you think their already way of ahead of what their releasing? this companys toy with peoples wants by pushing the low end first make money of level 1 then push it to level 2 and so on when since the beggining they already finished the highest peak a certain processor can take.
I mean 20% increase? are you really going to be doing some really extensive stuff that you need the 20% on a enigeering level 20% is more like 2%. If they release the merom doesnt that tell you that core duo reached its peak at whatever processing level it sops when merom ships? dont ya see the big picture? it really makes no diffrence..now when power consuption is improved then thats diffrent that means they did a whole rework of their structure to allow low power consuption.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2006, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Javizun
why wait? i mean when you buy the merom a week or so after a new one will be released and you will be outdated.

<snip>

I mean 20% increase? are you really going to be doing some really extensive stuff that you need the 20% on a enigeering level 20% is more like 2%. If they release the merom doesnt that tell you that core duo reached its peak at whatever processing level it sops when merom ships? dont ya see the big picture? it really makes no diffrence..now when power consuption is improved then thats diffrent that means they did a whole rework of their structure to allow low power consuption.
No, another significant (I'm not counting 167Mhz bumps) upgrade won't happen for ~6 months after the impending upgrade to Core 2 Duo.

What the heck does "on a enigeering level 20% is more like 2%" mean? I'm an engineer and you're speaking jibberish.

Power consumption is flat, performance is up.

StevenWRX
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2006, 08:54 PM

wait.
-Rev. C PowerBook 17" 1.5GHz
-iPod Mini 4gb Silver (Rev. B)
-Gaming Rig: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester, Asus A8N-E, 2 Gig Corsair XMS, nVidia GeForce 7900GT PCI-E, Seagate 320gb Barracuda HDD, Samsung 16X Dual Layer w/ LightScribe, Thermaltake Tsunami, Antec 550W True Power 2.0, Saitek Eclipse Keyboard, Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse, Samsung 19" 931B.

spice003  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2006, 08:55 PM

all i'm saying is should buy one now or wait for new chips bcause the prices re going to be the same or you can prob buy the v.A for cheaper price where v.B will be the same prices as v.A now.

NateEssex
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2006, 10:52 PM

I'm going to wait. It'll be a faster processor and MAYBE a new case. So for me, it's worth the wait. I can get by with my old PB 12" G4 There aren't any "good" new MMORPGs due out soon anyhow
MBP 15" 2.33 ghz 256Video Card
40 Gig iPod, Airport Extreme

Susan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2006, 11:51 PM

I just posted in another thread that several resellers are selling the MBP 15" 2 Gig model for $1550-$1650. They've got a large supply of cheap books, which means to me an upgrade release is likely within a few weeks.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2006, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Susan
I just posted in another thread that several resellers are selling the MBP 15" 2 Gig model for $1550-$1650. They've got a large supply of cheap books, which means to me an upgrade release is likely within a few weeks.
Or they're just pushing refurbs for the same price as Apple (give or take $50).

Susan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2006, 12:20 AM

Nope, they're new.

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 9, 2006, 12:49 AM

Nate i highly doubt they will change the case on the macbook pro-maybe some added features but the design is a winner how many times do a company really change thier design?
i dont see apple changing the case for another 2-3 years being that all they did to mac pro was just add an extra drive (and the inside of course).

i just see them upgrading alot of thier hardware and adding features.

NateEssex
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2006, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Javizun
i dont see apple changing the case for another 2-3 years being that all they did to mac pro was just add an extra drive (and the inside of course).

i just see them upgrading alot of thier hardware and adding features.
Well, I hear/read a lot of people really like the look of the BlackBook. I was thinking they may have a BlackBook Pro in the wings
MBP 15" 2.33 ghz 256Video Card
40 Gig iPod, Airport Extreme

matherman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2006, 07:49 AM

A Blackbook pro would be nice, but I think I will wait until next year after they release one or two runs of the intel laptop. Apple hasn't been doing a great job with quality control this year.

Forum Links
Forum Rules