Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 13" vs the 13" vs the 13"...

13" vs the 13" vs the 13"...
fisherKing
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2010, 07:10 PM

am looking at the new 13" mbp's.
i HAVE the first-gen aluminum macbook (late 2008, BEFORE the "pro" and firewire were added).
works great.

wondering how much i gain if i go from my current 2.4g macbook to a new 2.4g macbook pro? and, what kind of difference is there between the 2 new 13"'s? i mean, is the jump from a 2.4g processor to a 2.66g make much difference? the only other difference between the 2 models is a larger harddrive, but i'd be replacing it with a 7200rpm drive anyway (damn u apple for not offering that).

any thoughts?
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2010, 08:09 PM

Stick with your Macbook. I am doing so with my 4-year white MB.

fisherKing  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2010, 09:57 PM

yeah, am thinking that the degrees of difference are not significant enough, and will probably hold out until the next round...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

Voch
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2010, 10:28 PM

I'm have the same machine (refurb Unibody 13" 2.4Ghz/4GB/250GB) and I'm holding off for at least one more revision, mostly because processor-wise it's a wash.

However, if you want the argument *for* the upgrade, the new MacBook has many improvements: double (or even triple?) battery life, double the RAM capacity, 80% faster video chip (according to Apple), and an improved viewing angle LCD (Gizmodo story link) if you bought one of the early ones like I did.

My big want is that improved internal LCD, but for ergonomic reasons (too much slouching) I've been using an external raised cheapie Dell DVI LCD most of the time these days...I may splurge on a refurb Apple LED Cinema Display for $599 someday.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2010, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
am looking at the new 13" mbp's.
i HAVE the first-gen aluminum macbook (late 2008, BEFORE the "pro" and firewire were added).
works great.

wondering how much i gain if i go from my current 2.4g macbook to a new 2.4g macbook pro? and, what kind of difference is there between the 2 new 13"'s? i mean, is the jump from a 2.4g processor to a 2.66g make much difference? the only other difference between the 2 models is a larger harddrive, but i'd be replacing it with a 7200rpm drive anyway (damn u apple for not offering that).

any thoughts?
The performance gain going from yours to the new 2.4 GHz isn't substantial (apart from the GPU). The 2.66 GHz MBP is $300 more than the 2.4 GHz model. Subtract the HDD upgrade and you still end up with $250 difference. That's way too much for 11% clock increase on a consumer portable. On the 13" MBP the low-end is the sweet deal.

You can yourself these questions:
1) Do I need FW?
2) Do I need 8 GB RAM?
3) Do I need better graphics performance? (relatively speaking, we're talking integrated graphics here)
4) Do I need more battery life?

The last point is actually the real difference. The new battery is awesome. If you frequently run out of juice the new MBP would help a lot. The first three are probably not an issue because otherwise you'd probably already have a 15" MBP.

Assuming none of those points are a big issue for you, you'd be better off waiting for the next update. You'll be looking at Core i5 (substantial gain over C2D) and possibly USB3. Plus maybe they'll make the optical optional. Bottom line, that's what you'll want to swap your MB for.

OreoCookie
Apr 15, 2010, 04:22 AM

I third the suggestion. The only real reason I'm upgrading my machine is that it has a faulty VRAM chip which gets on my nerves. It prevents me from enjoying editing my photos in Aperture Plus, I want/need more RAM.

Other than that, if you don't need FireWire (which apparently you don't), I don't think it's worthwhile to upgrade.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

fisherKing  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2010, 09:51 AM

funny, when i moved TO the first alu 13", i GAVE UP my firewire drives (one had usb, and i replaced 2 others with new usb drives); i DO do audio work, but elsewhere (then i work on the files on my macbook, on the internal drive). so for now, all is well (enough), and am gonna spend the $ on less important stuff (like rent, food...).

fall 2010? we'll see...

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2010, 01:39 AM

Apple certainly didn't put out a very compelling upgrade to the 13" models. It's like they're creating a 2-tier system, while still trying to call both the 13" and 15" by the same MBP name.

Makes for very confusing naming, so I really do love the title of the thread!

AltecXP
Apr 17, 2010, 03:28 PM

My question is that if they make the 13in while macbook the same hardware again, what will be the selling point of the 13in Pro?

I have a feeling there 13in will get a revision where the white will be the 2010 MacBook pro HW and the 13in pro will get an i3 or i5.

Forum Links
Forum Rules