Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Buying Reconditioned/Refurbished?

Buying Reconditioned/Refurbished?
Miles Davis
Nov 16, 2002, 11:46 AM

Hey all,

Because of price issues and possibly waiting until Apple creates the next iBook, I was thinking of buying one from their Refurbished store. Has anyone had any experiance with this and can they comment on it?

thanks,
-m

dagmar
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2002, 02:55 PM

I have purchase numerous Apple factory refurbished systems, going back as far as a 6360, a beige G3, and two original imac's for my daughters to use in college. I personally have been very pleased, and have never had a problem

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2002, 06:05 PM

I love the refurbished equipment. It's every bit as good as new (you won't notice any difference,) it comes with the same warranty(!) and it will save you money. All three of those are excellent reasons to buy refurbished. The only thing you don't get is an original box. The refurbished equipment I have purchased comes in brown boxes.

Chris

Miles Davis  (op)
Nov 17, 2002, 05:06 PM

Does it come with all of the original software like Quicken etc..?

Can you use a student discount there?

skyman
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2002, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by chabig:
I love the refurbished equipment. It's every bit as good as new (you won't notice any difference,) it comes with the same warranty(!) and it will save you money. All three of those are excellent reasons to buy refurbished. The only thing you don't get is an original box. The refurbished equipment I have purchased comes in brown boxes.

Chris
I thought refurbs only come with a 90 day warrantee vs. the standard one year warrantee for brand new equipment?

-Q-
Nov 18, 2002, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by skyman:

I thought refurbs only come with a 90 day warrantee vs. the standard one year warrantee for brand new equipment?
That used to be the case, but after some pressure from customers, they changed their policy some time ago (it's one of the selling points for buying refurbished on this page.

I've only ever bought refurbished once and it was an old Apple MultiSync 15". It was a POS monitor before and after the refurb, so I don't know that it's a good example of buying refurbished. A couple friends have gone that route and have been very happy with their machines...

Red Wolf
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2002, 12:24 AM

I actually bought my last iBook (G3/500 Combo) as a used machine from an online dealer. I would advice you only shop at a Mac dominated store and AppleCare will be your friend since you won't get a full year warranty with a non-Apple refurb/used machine but generally you'll do okay. Mac people take care of their machines and if you already know what you want and stick with people who know Macs you'll do well. The only cost to saving money is have to spend all the extra time looking for your Mac for sale.

That being said I did get a iBook G3/800 new in the box but that was through work so it was still a good deal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules