Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > AppleAHCIDiskQueueManager Timed Out

AppleAHCIDiskQueueManager Timed Out
schalliol
Mac Elite
May 11, 2009, 12:08 PM

There's a MacBook here that won't boot. Setting it into verbose mode, I see that the AppleAHCIDiskQueueManager Timed Out. Does anyone know what could cause this? The boot camp partition no longer fully boots either, so I am not excited about what this might mean.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2009, 12:43 PM

AHCI is part of the SATA controller. So if that's where it hangs, it's either a hard drive problem or an SATA controller (logic board) problem.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

schalliol  (op)
Mac Elite
May 11, 2009, 12:57 PM

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I got Target mode to work on it, and then it hung my Mac Pro. I was however able to check the disk from single-user mode ok. I booted off the original disk opened disk utility, which took a long time to get the volumes to show up. I tried repairing the permissions, with no success after about 10 minutes. Something's working for that function to work in single-user, but perhaps the issues are just intermittent.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

ChrisF
Senior User
May 11, 2009, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by schalliol View Post
Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I got Target mode to work on it, and then it hung my Mac Pro. I was however able to check the disk from single-user mode ok. I booted off the original disk opened disk utility, which took a long time to get the volumes to show up. I tried repairing the permissions, with no success after about 10 minutes. Something's working for that function to work in single-user, but perhaps the issues are just intermittent.
You can actually take the disk from the Macbook and plug it right into the Pro- you'll just need to find a way to support it in the Pro so that it isn't dangling from the connectors on the motherboard. However, given the other symptoms, it appears likely that you've got major corruption at best, and perhaps hardware failure. Repairing permissions is not the correct approach, however. You need to use disk first aid instead, though something like DiskWarrior is going to have more success, assuming you aren't having some sort of hardware issue with the disk.

schalliol  (op)
Mac Elite
May 11, 2009, 03:08 PM

I do have Thermaltake hard drive docking mechanism I can use, but good call on the Mac Pro! I did use disk first aid, which thought the drive was ok, do I tried the permissions repair in the hopes that some important flag was set to deny access. I did boot off my TechTool ProToGo USB volume I created and added DiskWarrior. After doing a rebuild of the directory structure, the system now boots, but we'll see if it continues to operate. I suspect hardware since Windows via Boot Camp didn't function, though that has yet to be tested. Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules