Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Add Outlook to Office 2011 home and student?

Add Outlook to Office 2011 home and student?
Cold Warrior
Oct 30, 2010, 11:25 AM

Anyone with home and student Mac Office 2011, can you tell me how to add Outlook (or if it's available that way)? I've read a couple press/site blurbs that mention it without actually elaborating on how, if, or when.

I don't have a copy, but it'll affect my decision to buy it or not. Thanks.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2010, 11:36 AM

Good question, I was wondering about this, too.

So far, I haven't found any way to "add it on". It seems that you have to pay the higher price for the Pro version.

-t

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2010, 04:22 PM

I haven't seen the 2011 apps individually, just the Home & Student or Home & Business bundles. It may also be available through licensing from your Exchange provider if you're using it for Exchange.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2010, 08:47 PM

I don't know if your in academics or anything, but you can get the academic version for just $99.95 and it includes Outlook.

Office for Mac Academic Discount | Office For Mac
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2010, 08:35 AM

Now I wonder if one had both versions, would/could he successfully (and legally) do a custom Install of Outlook on his Home & Student edition, or would that be license violation?
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2010, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by pendragon View Post
Now I wonder if one had both versions, would/could he successfully (and legally) do a custom Install of Outlook on his Home & Student edition, or would that be license violation?
What would be the point of that?

-t

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2010, 06:44 AM

What would be the point of that?
At some point it would have a financial advantage, e.g., depending on how many copies of each version were needed.

But the more I think about it, the more inclined I am to conclude that even if it were doable, doing what I envisioned is most assuredly a license violation.
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2010, 09:04 AM

Well, yeah, that was sort of my thinking. You'd end up installing Outlook twice, but only having one license.

My question re: "the point" was why would you even bother to get the Home and Student, if you're gonna pirate part of the Academic anyways.

-t

Cold Warrior  (op)
Nov 2, 2010, 11:12 AM

I don't worry too much about license minutiae, just the real-world implications. For example, the new activation scheme enforces whatever computer-based license restrictions MS wants across LANs. There used to be LAN-only traffic that ensured duplicate copies of the same license couldn't be running simultaneously, which would enforce desktop/notebook-style restrictions. Not sure if that's still around (the LAN traffic); I'll probably do some packet sniffing to see. I ordered the x3 license home and student. Found this kb article, which I'll try to see if I can pay a reasonable upgrade fee to bring x1 license to business.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2010, 11:15 AM

I ordered the Home & Student as well.

I don't have the need for Outlook or Sharepoint.

-t

Cold Warrior  (op)
Nov 3, 2010, 10:37 PM

Got my copy today, am pleased enough with the entire suite.

The Home and Student will install Outlook and one can run it in trial mode for 30 days (independent of entering the product key for Word/Excel/PPT, which will successfully activate those three but not Outlook).

The kb article is accurate in describing an upgrade page. It's pretty generic though, just offering to upgrade you for $99 from home-student to home-business. I had hoped for a sort of "in app" purchase of Outlook.

Oh well. These three licenses were for my home Macs anyway. Work will give me a business copy soon enough, but it would've been nice to get Outlook at least on a couple more machines since it seems like a darn good email app for the Mac.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2010, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
The kb article is accurate in describing an upgrade page. It's pretty generic though, just offering to upgrade you for $99 from home-student to home-business. I had hoped for a sort of "in app" purchase of Outlook.
Home & Student (3 seats) at Amazon: $ 127
Home & Business (1 seat) at Amazon: $ 175

So I guess the $ 99 buys you 3(!) Outlook licenses ?

-t

Cold Warrior  (op)
Nov 4, 2010, 05:17 PM

Unfortunately it's 1 license 1 install. https://buy.officeformac.com/DRHM/st...ctID=204571300

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2010, 06:37 PM

That makes no damn sense. That "upgrade" is a rip off.

-t

Cold Warrior  (op)
Nov 11, 2010, 02:10 PM

Something weird just happened. I've been running Outlook 2011 in trial mode. Every day when I start the app, it dutifully asks whether I'd like to enter its product key or continue in trial mode.

Except after installing 10.6.5. Now it never asks.

I thought it might be set to just stop asking after x days, but I tried it on a second Mac: installed O2k11, opened Outlook in trial mode, ran it and imported some Entourage stuff. Then I installed 10.6.5 and it no longer asks at startup for key-or-continue trial, it just opens.

I assume it will still stop working after 30 days, but I thought it interesting enough to note it.

Edit: now it asked. Huh.
( Last edited by Cold Warrior; Nov 11, 2010 at 11:09 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules