Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Jonathan Peter "Jonny" Wilkinson OBE

Jonathan Peter "Jonny" Wilkinson OBE
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2013, 04:57 PM

In Australia, against Australia nearly 10 years ago he 'helped' England win a World Cup Final.

Less than a week ago, he won a European Championship with Toulon.

And tonight as Captain he's put Toulon into the French Final, beating 19 times champions Toulouse, for the coveted Bouclier de Brennus.

What a player, humble, speaks fluent French, never in the papers for being an idiot.

Long Live Jonny Wilkinson!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 25, 2013, 04:21 AM

Hmmm.

This is about sports, isn't it?

Phileas
Mac Elite
May 25, 2013, 06:47 AM

Rugby, to be precise. A game for thugs, played by gentlemen. As opposed to soccer, a game for gentlemen, played by thugs.

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 25, 2013, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Rugby, to be precise. A game for thugs, played by gentlemen. As opposed to soccer, a game for gentlemen, played by thugs.
That just about sums it up.

There's no wussy stuff like being dressed up as a Warhammer soldier either

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2013, 07:16 PM

If anything Football armor allows for even worse injuries thanks to players being able to hit harder and more vicious as protection got better.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 26, 2013, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
If anything Football armor allows for even worse injuries thanks to players being able to hit harder and more vicious as protection got better.
I'm not sure you'd think that way if you played Rugby.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2013, 12:14 PM

Having played them both, American football doesn't (in my short experience) teach you how to tackle like rugby does. In rugby, you genrally want to player on the floor, knowing that the game continues. In American football, you just want to stop the player, because you know that they will have to start again with the quarterback, defensive-linemen etc. Its not the same way of thinking.

I don't think that padding helps American football. If they had (for example) skull caps and only light shoulder pads, they might actually see less injuries and more tackling to stop the player instead of injure the player.

However, the games are so different. Rugby is flowing, same 15 on the pitch (mostly) with advantages given to try and keep the flow going. American football is about short bursts of high-impact, high player usage, sanctioning every foul (they have 7 officials on or around the pitch).
( Last edited by mattyb; May 26, 2013 at 12:24 PM. )

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 26, 2013, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
American football is about short bursts of high-impact advert breaks.
Fixed.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2013, 10:29 AM

I don't think that padding helps American football. If they had (for example) skull caps and only light shoulder pads, they might actually see less injuries and more tackling to stop the player instead of injuring the player.
That was my point, as the gear got more and more tank-like it allowed them to hit harder and harder. A defensive tackle isn't always just trying to down the guy with the ball, he's trying to put him out of commission for the season.

Sealobo
May 27, 2013, 02:07 PM

American football is about taking convenient breaks for selling TV commercials.
fixed.

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 27, 2013, 02:54 PM

American Football sounds shit

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2014, 03:03 PM

It couldn't last forever : Jonny retires.

I'd like him to win the Bouclier, but Saracens to win the H Cup.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2014, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
There's no wussy stuff like being dressed up as a Warhammer soldier either
American football players are stronger, faster, and hit much harder than rugby players. I love both sports and that's no shit, it's a fact. Something that Brits and those from the EU like to casually ignore. I played the former in high school and the latter in a club league in my early 20s. If NFL players didn't wear that "armor", you'd see death and/or maiming in the game, practically every game. Anyway, carry on.

and no, I don't care if the post is a year old.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2014, 06:10 PM

Strange : 1. Chris Johnson - RB - 4.24 seconds - TheRichest vs Carlin Isles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia but then 40 yards doesn't mean much in rugby since the players stay on the pitch for so much longer. What is it, 45 players for the day of a game in NFL?

I put to the court, Jonah Lomu as evidence that NFL players are nothing but sissies, who couldn't last 80 minutes on a pitch and couldn't do anything without their padding. Apparently the Dallas Cowboys wanted him.

A nice reddit posting : If America's top NFL players formed a Rugby team, how would they fair against professional teams abroad? : AskReddit

Also interesting : All Blacks measure up for American football | Stuff.co.nz

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2014, 07:20 PM

I've read those idiots, they don't understand the differences in the games. In fact, they seem to take pride in their ignorance. There's a lot more incidental running in futbol and rugby, whereas in American football it's about shorter, more intense bursts ending with much greater impact, and that's when a person is more likely to be injured. Line up 2 teams of pro rugby players, sans protective gear, and have them play a whole game of American football, at the same level of intensity as NFL players, and they would be dropping like flies.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 20, 2014, 04:57 AM

I thought this thread coming up again was going to be because of this: BBC Sport - Jonny Wilkinson: England World Cup winner to retire

"Long Live Jonny Wilkinson!"

Ω
Mac Elite
May 20, 2014, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
I thought this thread coming up again was going to be because of this: BBC Sport - Jonny Wilkinson: England World Cup winner to retire

"Long Live Jonny Wilkinson!"
Cough cough. Glad he is gone as was part of Dads Army where running rugby was ruined. Trys and not penaltys should rule the day.
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2014, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I've read those idiots, they don't understand the differences in the games. In fact, they seem to take pride in their ignorance. There's a lot more incidental running in futbol and rugby, whereas in American football it's about shorter, more intense bursts ending with much greater impact, and that's when a person is more likely to be injured. Line up 2 teams of pro rugby players, sans protective gear, and have them play a whole game of American football, at the same level of intensity as NFL players, and they would be dropping like flies.
45 rugby players, that could be replaced as much as NFL players? No sweat. As the articles I gave links to stress, NFL players are trained to do one thing very well, in short bursts. The NFL players couldn't handle 80 minutes on the pitch of running from try-line to try-line.

Some interesting figures about distance during rugby matches here : http://www.rfu.com/news/2011/april/n...ps_premiership

And NFL : http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...055561406.html

Originally Posted by Ω View Post
Cough cough. Glad he is gone as was part of Dads Army where running rugby was ruined. Trys and not penaltys should rule the day.
I somewhat agree. The game is stopped far too often and the team with the best kicker usually wins nowadays - the Toulouse v Racing Metro game last week was an excellent example, although the Wasps v Stade Français game wasn't. Penalties need to be sanctioned, but tries should count for more, with a conversion perhaps being only 1 point. Just don't want it to end up like NFL ;-).

Rugby League and Sevens is even more of a running game, but I do like contested scrums in Rugby Union.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2014, 09:55 AM

45 rugby players, that could be replaced as much as NFL players? No sweat. As the articles I gave links to stress, NFL players are trained to do one thing very well, in short bursts. The NFL players couldn't handle 80 minutes on the pitch of running from try-line to try-line.
That's the point, they aren't conditioned to. It isn't something that would help them in American football. NFL players are conditioned for short bursts of speed, and power, freakish amounts of power. When an All-Pro guard comes off the line, within 2' he's generating more impact pressure than a average saloon car going 25mph. That means, by the end of a game, the guy across from him feels like they've been in 75-90 low-speed car wrecks. Rugby players aren't conditioned, nor equipped, for that. That's not even the worst of the impacts either, receiver crossing routes have left a large number of players unconscious or paralyzed, and in a several cases even dead. No guts, no glory.
- Thomas Paine

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2014, 02:35 PM

Rugby players aren't conditioned, nor equipped, for that. That's not even the worst of the impacts either, receiver crossing routes have left a large number of players unconscious or paralyzed, and in a several cases even dead. No guts, no glory.
Wrong again. A little searching on YouTube will give you several links to hard hitting rugby moments. The players stats are easy to find. You'll see that the Richie McCaws, Mathieu Bastarauds and Ashley Johnsons are hitting all over the pitch, running, and playing attacker as well as defender.

Take Ashley Johnson. 6ft 1in, 231lbs and he runs. The whole match. Here, I'll make it easy for you : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thsrmjigmk4

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2014, 03:13 PM

"Ra, ra, my sport is better than yours!"

No, I'm not wrong. That's not even close to being on the same level of impact force, but you can continue to believe that, if you want. As I said before, unlike you, I love both sports, and some futbol too, and it isn't difficult for me to understand the strengths and limitations of the people competing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1BASrpn9Sc
- Thomas Paine

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2014, 05:41 PM

If Rugby players crashed into each-other with as much force and self-disregard as NFL players they're would be deaths on the pitch. As I said in this very post already, NFL players are able to careen into each-other at very high forces because of their armor.

This doesn't mean that Ruby players are "sissies" the sports are simply geared differently.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2014, 02:37 AM

I posted this :

You reply with this :

American football players are stronger, faster, and hit much harder than rugby players. I love both sports and that's no shit, it's a fact. Something that Brits and those from the EU like to casually ignore. I played the former in high school and the latter in a club league in my early 20s. If NFL players didn't wear that "armor", you'd see death and/or maiming in the game, practically every game. Anyway, carry on.

and no, I don't care if the post is a year old.
And then you spout this, because I'm defending rugby?!?!

"Ra, ra, my sport is better than yours!"

No, I'm not wrong. That's not even close to being on the same level of impact force, but you can continue to believe that, if you want. As I said before, unlike you, I love both sports, and some futbol too, and it isn't difficult for me to understand the strengths and limitations of the people competing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1BASrpn9Sc
Poor Shaddim.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2014, 02:59 AM

If Rugby players crashed into each-other with as much force and self-disregard as NFL players they're would be deaths on the pitch. As I said in this very post already, NFL players are able to careen into each-other at very high forces because of their armor.

This doesn't mean that Ruby players are "sissies" the sports are simply geared differently.
I agree, about the deaths. Take the helmet and pads away and NFL players would soon stop hitting like they do. And you'd probably have less injuries since people would learn to floor people in a sensible manner instead of using their body as a missile. I still do not agree with the statement that Shaddim made : American football players are stronger, faster, and hit much harder than rugby players.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2014, 03:24 PM

You reply with this :
There's your problem, I wasn't replying to you in the first place, unless you're also ajprice.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2014, 03:28 PM

I still do not agree with the statement that Shaddim made : American football players are stronger, faster, and hit much harder than rugby players.
They are, while rugby players have better endurance and coordination, in general. There are some NFL linemen who benchpress nearly 700lbs. Each sport has its superlatives.
- Thomas Paine

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2014, 05:56 PM

Toulon become only the third team to win back to back European Cup finals. And Jonny was magnificent.

Next weekend, his last game will be the Top 14 final against the team that beat Toulon last year, Castres.

Come on Jonny!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules