Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The Official MacNN COVID-19 Thread

The Official MacNN COVID-19 Thread (Page 33)
ghporter
Administrator
May 30, 2022, 02:04 PM

My wife and I got our second boosters today, just before lunch. So far (90 minutes later) my arm is a little tight feeling, but otherwise nothing bad. My history says that I should wait for a while to declare myself “just fine,” but fortunately I don’t have a lot scheduled for the next couple of days, so if I have to sit in the recliner with my feet up and my MBP on my lap for a day or so, that’ll work too.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

bstone
Mac Elite
May 30, 2022, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
My wife and I got our second boosters today, just before lunch. So far (90 minutes later) my arm is a little tight feeling, but otherwise nothing bad. My history says that I should wait for a while to declare myself “just fine,” but fortunately I don’t have a lot scheduled for the next couple of days, so if I have to sit in the recliner with my feet up and my MBP on my lap for a day or so, that’ll work too.
Where is the like button?

I've heard from many that they had no symptoms post-second booster.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

OreoCookie
May 31, 2022, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by bstone View Post
Where is the like button?

I've heard from many that they had no symptoms post-second booster.
That'd be great. Here in Japan it'll be months until the government decides to let people get a second booster. My body's reaction after the third shot of Moderna wasn't as bad as after the second. The second one was just 24 hours of misery, after that I felt great. I love the miracles of modern medicine!

My wife finally got her 3rd shot = 1st booster this month. (She wasn't dragging her heels. She was pregnant when vaccines finally became available and her OBGYN recommended Pfizer/Biontech rather than Moderna, which is more common. That meant she had to wait for an allotment until September 2021.)

It looks like there will be vaccines specific for young kids, and I am looking forward to the day we can vaccinate our two little ones.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 3, 2022, 12:07 PM

We did feel pretty “not so good” the next day. Tired, out of sorts and achy. Which is an indication that our immune systems were active, though not as super active as when we got our second initial shots. Since then the sore spot on my arm is no longer sore, and I otherwise feel great.

We took it easy Tuesday, the day after the shots, but my wife worked Wednesday. She said it was fine. I did a longish walk, 3.2 miles at a 15:03 pace. It felt great, I just wasn’t as fast as I want to more that I hadn’t done any speed walking for a while, not because of the shot.

andi*pandi
Jun 3, 2022, 12:38 PM

Spouse has tested positive. Which throws our weekend plans in a kerfuffle. Seems mild so far.

bstone
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2022, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Spouse has tested positive. Which throws our weekend plans in a kerfuffle. Seems mild so far.
Talk to MD/PA about paxlovid. Supplies are good, we strongly recommend it for those who qualify.

andi*pandi
Jun 5, 2022, 12:24 PM

tested negative yesterday morning, yesterday evening I had a fever and positive test. Paxlovid is waiting for me at pharmacy. Surprisingly spouses dr did not recommend but I have had a racking cough for several weeks so I sound horrible.

Side effects don't sound great but will deal.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 5, 2022, 03:25 PM

Side effects for a few days should be tolerable if the drug does its job. Even “mild” cases of COVID can have some pretty unpleasant long-term impacts, so knocking the virus out fast should be well worth the unpleasantness…

I have a coworker who was out for about a month with mild enough symptoms that she wasn’t hospitalized. But months after she returned to work she continued to have inappropriate fatigue levels, and reported difficulty focusing. That’s not good for an occupational therapist who works with folks in rehab for strokes or head injuries…

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 6, 2022, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post

...because I sure am.

Started with drainage/sore throat over the weekend. Monday started coughing at work. Went home, tested positive with an at-home test. Went to urgent care, tested positive for real.

Wife has symptoms, too, waiting on her real test results. Kids seem fine (9yo is vaccinated, 4yo is not) so we're keeping them home, but also trying to keep our distance.

No solid path to infection this time - I don't go anywhere or do anything, still not eating indoors or doing anything with other people indoors outside of immediate family. Our direct neighbors moved in two years ago, our kids play all of the time, and we've never ever been in each others' houses.

Dr. checked my vitals, everything looks perfect and lungs are totally clear, where they were pretty rough last time and I spent a good month on an inhaler.

Working from home for now, expect to get better in a couple days.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2022, 12:37 PM

Andi? You there?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2022, 02:42 PM

I hope I’m not crossing a line by revealing this, but according to Facebook she was still with us as of a day ago.

Been kinda freaked out tbh.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 10, 2022, 02:48 PM

I will miss her - she was good company. COVID has taken so many good people.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2022, 03:34 PM

Wat

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2022, 05:30 PM

WHAT!?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2022, 05:41 PM

Let me rephrase this.

She posted on Facebook yesterday. She’s fine.

Apologies for not stating this more directly.

Edit: what was freaking me out was not knowing she was okay until I finally realized I could check Facebook for potential information.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2022, 05:52 AM

Yeah, just saw her post earlier. Phew.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Jul 11, 2022, 06:10 PM

Been working remote since March 2020. We have all been doing our jobs and killing it. Work wants everyone to start coming to the office 3 days a week, no masks required, in a county that's BARELY 50% vaccinated. Meanwhile, cases are now up 140% from a year ago.

lol. This winter is going to blow up in everyone's faces, it sucks so many people are going to get sick and die but idk what to do except laugh at how ridiculous it all is. Corporate america does not give a single fuck anymore.

If we go into winter like this with zero masks, distancing, and large events everywhere, shit is going to blow the fuck up. Nobody is listening. Lmao. Hubris is powerful stuff.

andi*pandi
Jul 14, 2022, 11:42 AM

Thx guys we are ok. Sorry for not updating! Everyone else had mild cases, I still have an occasional lingering cough/wheeze but not bad.

Laminar, round2? did the kids end up getting it? My neighbor's kids came back from a visit with other parent, one with covid, one without, and somehow they managed to keep it from spreading through the house... our house is not big enough to create an "isolation zone."

Rob, it's weird seeing that the numbers are very very high but not as much hospitalization.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Jul 14, 2022, 12:00 PM

Yeah, milder for people with normal immune systems. For now. Hospitalization rates are climbing tho.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/13/world...-22/index.html

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 14, 2022, 12:40 PM

Here in San Antonio, our risk level is characterized as “moderate and worsening.” As of yesterday afternoon, there are 336 people hospitalized with COVID, 58 in ICU and 19 (almost 1/3 of the ICU patients) on ventilators.

The increase in hospitalization rates seems to be related to pandemic fatigue and/or lack of attention, thus failure to use basic prevention techniques. When hand sanitizer is everywhere, it sort of blends into the background and people don’t see the dispenser as a cue to USE THE DANGED STUFF.

And I’m still completely unsympathetic to folks that complain that “I can’t breathe in a mask!” Let’s start with health care workers who wear a mask for 12 hours at a time, every day. And we can ramp up as quickly as necessary to “ever wear a military gas mask, and full chem gear, in a Texas summer?” Yeah, the whining about wearing basic masks gets me very, very close to actually saying “STFU” out loud.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 14, 2022, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Laminar, round2? did the kids end up getting it?
Kids never showed symptoms. We ate separately, no snuggles, we were 100% masked if the kids were going to be around at all. We even paid the 9yo to do bedtime for the 4yo to avoid closeness. 9yo might be one of the invincible, or at least an asymptomatic carrier. He never showed symptoms when we had it back in 2020, he was exposed plenty of times at school, and even had a sleepover this spring where he slept on the couch with a friend that tested positive that next day, and never got it.

I was feeling all back to normal by Thursday and back at work Friday and through the weekend for plant startup, masked for 5 more days per policy. This Saturday will be my first day off after 19 straight days of working, including the 14+ hours days I was working from home when I couldn't go into work.

4yo went back to daycare on Tuesday - when I went to pick her up they let me know she was exposed in her class If we managed to keep her safe with two positive cases in the home, only to find out she got it at daycare...

She got her first (of three) Covid vaccination shots on Monday. Hopefully she's in the clear.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 15, 2022, 05:55 PM

Lam, if you could DO those hours, even with a desk job, you had recovered.

And you (and family) are empirical proof that “I had already so I’m safe” is a flat out lie.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2022, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Lam, if you could DO those hours, even with a desk job, you had recovered.
Yeah, it was a huge difference from 2020. Back then I did 3-4 hours of programming or whatever I had to do for the day, and I was spent, I spent the rest of the day on the couch with the kids watching movies. It wasn't an option this year, I spent 10-12 hours over Teams or on the phone with my intern who was running my projects on site, then another couple hours after dinner polishing up the programs and HMI screens. I was allowed back in Friday and got there at 4am to finish figuring some stuff out before startup at 6am.

My only real symptoms were a headache, sore throat, and cough. I didn't get the exhausting, loss of taste, or intense brain fog I had in 2020. Between the milder variant going around now and all of my shots, it was definitely a different experience. I'm glad I got tested and took actions so as not to spread it though, not everyone would have as peachy an experience as I did.

Thorzdad  (op)
Sep 20, 2022, 07:36 PM

Got both my Moderna bivalent booster and this season’s flu shots today. So far, so good.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 20, 2022, 08:15 PM

Any word on how effective the flu shot is this year? We've had a few years where it missed badly.

Thorzdad  (op)
Sep 20, 2022, 09:11 PM

No clue. I procrastinated last year and didn’t get the shot. My wife claims I got sick maybe twice. I don’t recall getting the flu at all. Whatever. But, it’s the only game in town, so *shrugs*

I got lucky with the covid shot. I’ve been totally Moderna so far, and had signed-up for the Moderna bivalent today. When we got there, the technician said they thought they had just opened their last Moderna ampule. They went and checked and they had just enough left for my shot. So, yay.

Thorzdad  (op)
Sep 21, 2022, 11:50 AM

I’ve not had a single issue with my previous covid shots. This one, though, is giving me a pretty constant headache today, and my arm is noticeably sore. Nothing debilitating, mind you, just unexpected, given my experience with the Moderna vaccines so far.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2022, 05:12 PM

Got my booster, and threw in a flu shot so I can tell people to stop fucking bothering me about getting one.

Kinda feel like shit TBH, but that could be unrelated.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2022, 05:12 PM

Now I really feel like shit.

No sleep from arm pain even though I took Aleve. Also feel nauseous, which I assume is the flu shot.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 24, 2022, 07:20 PM

My wife and I are going to get the latest booster and the flu shot. Not sure yet which will be first - it's supposedly OK to do both at the same time but I am not feeling that brave. I have to be at our local military hospital on Monday, so we'll find out what they have ready for us, and go on from there.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2022, 07:41 PM

I guess I’m “happy” with my choice because at least I’m getting it all over with.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 24, 2022, 08:41 PM

I plan to wait another week or two, to hear the reports. And to make sure I can take a day off if need be afterwards.

If I get the flu shot, it will be with the covid booster. I hate needles, so better to get both while the courage holds.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2022, 09:20 PM

Needles are the kind of thing I would totally expect myself to hate, but for some reason I was blessed not to be bothered by them.

It’s an extra blessing because I’m O positive, so the not fucking around needle they use for donations doesn’t interfere with me dumping a pint.

Thorzdad  (op)
Sep 25, 2022, 09:21 AM

I have no clue what my blood type is. I’ve never given blood, but I’ve had blood drawn many, many times. I guess they don’t type blood as a regular part of doing all the panels for physicals? I’ve also have a few surgeries over the years, but never had anyone ask what my blood type is.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2022, 12:02 PM

No one has ever asked me. I only know from donating.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2022, 05:41 PM

As far as the shots go, at this point I am survived. Arm still kinda sore though.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2022, 10:44 AM

4yo got her third shot today, so she's done with the initial regimen. Wife is hearing through work that Australia had a rough flu season, indicating that ours will be similarly rough. She, the 9yo, and I will likely get boosted later this fall in hopes of centering the effectivity window around the winter/holiday spikes.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2022, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I have no clue what my blood type is. I’ve never given blood, but I’ve had blood drawn many, many times. I guess they don’t type blood as a regular part of doing all the panels for physicals? I’ve also have a few surgeries over the years, but never had anyone ask what my blood type is.
When I asked, I was told that it’s pretty much irrelevant to know, because in any situation where it’s important, it would definitely be checked anyway with a quick test.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2022, 07:09 PM

Yeah. I only know because my blood works for more than 90% of the population. I get hit up for it.

andi*pandi
Sep 26, 2022, 07:50 PM

The first time I donated they told me. I had a red cross card with my type. I've since lost the card!
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Oct 3, 2022 at 11:50 AM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2022, 08:36 AM

Got my flu shot yesterday, work has them up in the medic's office. I'm reading that the latest booster is reconfigured to be more effective against Omnicron. I don't know if most people/news outlets have vaccine exhaustion but despite my never seeking out news, stuff like this usually makes its way to me somehow, but I hadn't heard about the new vaccine until yesterday. They're saying wait about three months after an infection to get boosted for maximum vaccine effectiveness, which would put me at early/mid-October.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 27, 2022, 09:37 AM

Yep, wait 2 months after a previous vaccination, or 3 months after a previous infection.

It's a bivalent vaccine this time - it contains two versions:
1) a dose of the original vaccine.
2) a dose recalibrated for omicron. (specifically for BA.4 / BA.5)

They discovered if they only gave the newer version, your immune system reacts as though it was the old version. Rebuilding the original antibodies, rather than building new ones against omicron. A shortcut that speeds up immune response - if it looks like a duck, dig out the duck sauce.

While this produces rapid immunity when a disease wave comes back, it's unhelpful against a disease with new variants. Doctors discovered that if they package both together, your immune system sees them separately. And builds immunity to the new one from scratch.

Since your body "sees" two infections at once, this may explain the stronger responses to the new vaccine.
( Last edited by reader50; Sep 27, 2022 at 10:25 AM. )

Thorzdad  (op)
Sep 27, 2022, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I don't know if most people/news outlets have vaccine exhaustion but despite my never seeking out news, stuff like this usually makes its way to me somehow, but I hadn't heard about the new vaccine until yesterday.
Obviously, you aren’t an NPR listener
They were all over the new vaccine’s development, approval, and release timetable.

I got my previous covid vaccines at my local big-box’s pharmacy, and they sent me a text with a link to schedule an appointment pretty much the day after the new vaccine started shipping.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2022, 10:59 AM

I didn’t really hear about it. Was more “it’s been 6 months”.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 3, 2022, 09:41 AM

Combined with the allergens, my latest booster took me about 4 days to “get over.” I’m not sure how much of that was the shot and how much was the allergens. Or, for that matter, how much had to do with the stuff my doc prescribed to help clear a Eustachian tube he figured was being irritated by post-nasal stuff. The tube is pretty much 100% now, but those inhalers can mess with you.

I’m A Pos. I’ve known this since I was 17 and made my first blood donation; my dad and I did that one together. I have donated - not as regularly as I’d like - ever since. With the local donation organization, I’m at the 4-gallon level. Knowing my type doesn’t make any difference day-to-day, but it is helpful at times. Once, on a cruise, they put out a call for blood donors, which meant somebody was in really bad shape. My wife and I (we’re both A Pos) showed up, even though the call wasn’t for that type. By the time we got there, there was a huge line of people who WERE the right type. Blood donors do that.

bstone
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2022, 11:45 AM

Three weeks ago I got my annual flu and bivalent covid shots in the same arm at the same visit at CVS. I'm glad to be protected. We're in the beginning of respiratory virus season now and I encourage everyone to get vaccinated for both covid and flu. I've seen several flu cases where the patients appeared much sicker than covid patients, so getting vaccinated for both is the smart thing to do.

Demonhood
Administrator
Oct 3, 2022, 05:06 PM

Got my bivalent and flu shots at the same time, like others.
Had the same basic reaction as all my other shots - slight arm soreness and nothing else. I've been lucky that way.
It's also possible my body was distracted by a recent bone break (and surgery) and couldn't be bothered to put up a fuss.

andi*pandi
Oct 3, 2022, 06:30 PM

thx for reminder just did this. earliest appt is next week, without driving 15 miles.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2022, 05:08 PM

Got my bivalent on Tuesday. Headache, running nose, sneezing the last few days. I also mowed a bunch of dusty leaves and grass on Wednesday, so all of the symptoms could be that, too. No noticable achyness or tiredness, at least none with good cause (daughter was up puking 11pm-4am on Wednesday night, so tiredness on Thursday has a perpetrator).

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2022, 03:54 PM

I got a flu shot and a Pfizer covid the other day. One in each arm. One arm went slightly numb for a few hours, the other one ached for a day. Otherwise nothing to report.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules