Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > i hate safari!!!

i hate safari!!!
drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Jan 19, 2003, 04:06 PM

ok, i got the safari problem (cant print, cant boot into classic etc.) so i downloaded the new version and i cant install it! the damn disk wont mount! and i still have all the safari problems, even after deleting safari! what the hell is apple doing? going microsoft?

anyways can someone gimme a hand??

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2003, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by drnkn_stylz:
ok, i got the safari problem (cant print, cant boot into classic etc.) so i downloaded the new version and i cant install it! the damn disk wont mount! and i still have all the safari problems, even after deleting safari! what the hell is apple doing? going microsoft?

Sorry, no one here can give a brain.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

JB72
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2003, 04:32 PM

You may need to manually make a /tmp file. People here will surely be able to help you with that. Good luck.

MPC
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2003, 04:51 PM

In the terminal type (or cut and paste)

sudo ln -s /private/tmp /tmp

hit enter
I can hear the goose-steps getting closer.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2003, 06:23 PM

ohh thats nowhere near as bad as what ms did to my pc, installing an update of msn messenger (a box kept coming up and harasssing you till you did) well it made my win2000 machine bluescreen on boot, before you even got to a login, and of course to try and hide the bluescreen it would reboot, had to reinstall it to fix it and of course:
"windows installtion has alerady detected a copy of windows 2000 on this drive, warning your my documents and desktop files will be wiped"
errrrr how moronic is ith that they couldnt be arsed to add copy documents and settings to backup documents and settings

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2003, 06:54 PM

Originally posted by sushiism:
ohh thats nowhere near as bad as what ms did to my pc
You mean like when you install XP SP1 and it totally fubars your computer?

frawgz
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 19, 2003, 07:05 PM

Type what the above have suggested into the Terminal. That will fix your classic/print/etc problems.

I had the same problem as you (image wouldn't mount), so I had a friend stuff his new Safari and send it to me. I'd like to help you on this front, but I won't be on my Mac again for another day or two.. anyone else?

MPC
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2003, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by frawgz:
Type what the above have suggested into the Terminal. That will fix your classic/print/etc problems.

I had the same problem as you (image wouldn't mount), so I had a friend stuff his new Safari and send it to me. I'd like to help you on this front, but I won't be on my Mac again for another day or two.. anyone else?
The terminal command should allow you to mount the Safari Image. I can't remember if I restarted after using the command, but I was allowed to mount the image. So you might want to restart, just to be safe.
I can hear the goose-steps getting closer.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2003, 09:34 PM

1) If you can't have your system down for a few hours or can't live with an error... Don't Install Beta Software!!!

2) Hate Safari? Please... More like you hate the install application.

3) Nice way to start a flame...

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2003, 05:16 AM

apart from the erasing of your home folder bug which was quickly quashed, Safari has been a very well behaved beta for me. My dad has had it crash on a few sites but as yet I've had no problems. Its faster than everything else and I didn't really get into chimera enough to miss tabbed browsing. My one complaint is to do with its rendering of tables but I haven't looked at it closely enough to see what the exact problem is, all I know is that it renders properly in Netscape, Chimera, IE and Omniweb. I guess Apple are just thinking different or something.

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Jan 20, 2003, 04:43 PM

ive never had to deal with something like this with a beta software. i mean some software conflicts is one thing, but not being able to print, boot into classic, or open an image file is garbage!

anyways i did the terminal business and it didnt work. said command not found. im really new with terminal etc since i havent had x too long. someone wanna tell me how to do this, or point me in a direction where i can find out?

mitchell_pgh ---> im entitled to my own opinion about a program or its install package. prick.

thx again.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2003, 04:53 PM

you must be insane to hate Safari it rocks !
we don't have time to stop for gas

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2003, 05:06 PM

mitchell_pgh ---> im entitled to my own opinion about a program or its install package. prick.
Its an opinion that plaid tastes good. Entitled? Uh...

Mitchell had some good points:
Its beta software. If you install beta software, you should expect something to go wrong.
The problem lies in apple's bungled install process not safari. (right?)
Your original post was a flame. So was the title to this thread!

You might try civility next time and see where it gets you.

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2003, 06:41 PM

You must be the only one.

I also had the mounting problems, fixed using the terminal and commands line propossed by some folks from macnn. Not a problem since them

sandsl
Senior User
Jan 20, 2003, 07:48 PM

Why whenever somebody has a problem with their mac they blame it on Apple and say "what the hell is apple doing? going microsoft?"

Um....no ....either you have caused the problem or there is a bug in a BETA version of Safari. It is a beta people, if it didn't have any bugs Apple would have released it as 1.0. What did you expect? You agreed to accept the risks involved with using Safari.

I'm not against you asking for help though, and your also entitled to your own opinions but theres not need to flame:
- "i hate safari!!!"
- "what the hell is apple doing? going microsoft?"
Luke

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 21, 2003, 09:51 AM

i love safari!!!
*gives safari a big hug*
24" iMac 2.13ghz C2D | 15" MBP 2ghz CD | "Soundwave" 60GB 5G iPod

Lew
Senior User
Jan 21, 2003, 10:00 AM

I miss Safari!!!

(My PowerBook recently died in a tragic beer-related accident and I'm stuck with WinXP for the time being )

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2003, 10:32 AM

Instead of doing the repairs in the terminal, go to versiontracker and look for "Print Center Repair."

Download this app. Open it and click on the button that says "Delete Temporary Files."

Then click on the "all applications" button.

This will take about 20 seconds.

Your printer will work again and for all users on your machine if you have this setup. At least, it worked great for me.

Avon
Senior User
Jan 21, 2003, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by SMacTech:
You mean like when you install XP SP1 and it totally fubars your computer?
My PC got FUBARed when I tried to upgrade from NT to 2000. Totaly messeed up, would not boot. I was pissed.

Why do they even give the option to upgrade if it does not work 80% of the time. MS is slime.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2003, 11:01 AM

You must have missed the word 'Beta'.....

theCleaner?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2003, 01:14 AM

One thing that gets on my nerves is everything is not in the right space. Things are so spread out on some sites, how do you fix that?
sig violation. temporarily changed to prevent mass hysteria.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2003, 03:16 AM

Originally posted by theCleaner?:
One thing that gets on my nerves is everything is not in the right space. Things are so spread out on some sites, how do you fix that?
Whoa, first post for you on the forums. Welcome

Are you talking about the way that Safari renders the HTML? The only way to change that is to change your HTML or to change the way Safari renders it
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

theCleaner?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2003, 11:43 AM

Thank You
sig violation. temporarily changed to prevent mass hysteria.

Forum Links
Forum Rules