Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Phunny acting Safari!

Phunny acting Safari!
theCleaner?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2003, 08:18 PM

Two problems I'm having, one major, the other no big deal.

#1. It's not rendering pages correctly. Sometimes skips several lines in sentences.
#2. Sometimes it puts Japanese letters in some words.

Anyone else having these problems? I know it''s still just a beta, but looks real promising to me.....very fast.
sig violation. temporarily changed to prevent mass hysteria.

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2003, 01:20 PM

erhm, maybe submit it to apple feedback if you haven't already?
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

beb
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2003, 03:53 PM

Why don't pdf files open directly in Safari? Why do they download to the desktop?

amo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2003, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by beb:
Why don't pdf files open directly in Safari? Why do they download to the desktop?
Download this pdf browser plug-in. It's fantastic and should have been supplied with OS X (or Safari) in my opinion.

http://www.schubert-it.com/download/

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2003, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by beb:
Because Safari is a Web browser, not a PDF viewer.

As for the Japanese characters, I'm seeing this too. I think I've figured out the problem, but not how to fix it. For some reason, Safari is trying to render ISO-Latin1 pages (such as this one) as UTF-8. This is similar enough to UTF-8 that most characters work right, but if someone uses special characters like �, �, or �, it tries to use the UTF-8 character, which thus far seems to happen to be a Japanese character for most special characters (because of the way UTF-8 works, characters following the special character tend to get "absorbed" into the Japanese, until you get to one which works the same as Latin-1; that last one is absorbed, and then things return to normal).

If you come across a page which does this, you can correct the page by using "ISO Latin-1", which is under Text Encoding in the View menu. However, you'll have to do this on every page which has this problem.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Forum Links
Forum Rules