Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Serious Win XP pro help...

Serious Win XP pro help...
theCleaner?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2003, 07:45 PM

I doubt if Bill Gates himself could help me with this, but alot of you guys are very smart, so maybe you can help me. I have a PC with win xp pro that I have for work, I rely on getting email daily for my work orders for the next day. I have Charter's pipeline cable internet and it runs fine, but my major problem is with my PC. It connects to the internet, meaning it shows it's connected, but I can't recieve emails or connect to web pages, when it tries to go to a web page, I just keeping getting the page not found and at the top of the address bar it keeps showing a bunch of code constitely. It's like it keeps trying to connect to a server, but it immediately blocked. I did have Zone alarm firewall and also tried to install Norton's anti-virus and firewall. Some of the data tech's I've talked to said it was the firewalls, but they still couldn't help me, I unistalled all the firewalls and it still keeps doing this. I have had the cable people install all new cable lines, new modem and they even sent out there data tech, but no one can figure this out, I have spent countless hours on the phone with charter tech support, but no one knows. If ANYONE thinks they can help, I would GREATLY appreciate it. My email is down so reply with this thread.

Thank you!
sig violation. temporarily changed to prevent mass hysteria.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2003, 08:32 PM

Originally posted by theCleaner?:
I doubt if Bill Gates himself could help me with this, but alot of you guys are very smart, so maybe you can help me. I have a PC with win xp pro that I have for work, I rely on getting email daily for my work orders for the next day. I have Charter's pipeline cable internet and it runs fine, but my major problem is with my PC. It connects to the internet, meaning it shows it's connected, but I can't recieve emails or connect to web pages, when it tries to go to a web page, I just keeping getting the page not found and at the top of the address bar it keeps showing a bunch of code constitely. It's like it keeps trying to connect to a server, but it immediately blocked. I did have Zone alarm firewall and also tried to install Norton's anti-virus and firewall. Some of the data tech's I've talked to said it was the firewalls, but they still couldn't help me, I unistalled all the firewalls and it still keeps doing this. I have had the cable people install all new cable lines, new modem and they even sent out there data tech, but no one can figure this out, I have spent countless hours on the phone with charter tech support, but no one knows. If ANYONE thinks they can help, I would GREATLY appreciate it. My email is down so reply with this thread.

Thank you!
One of the firewalls may have botched something in the registry (it's happened to me before).

Try doing a full reinstall of XP. Unless you can pinpoint what keys have been changed/corrputed that is. I believe I had the EXACT same problem with zonealarm in the past. It's a pos.

Sorry if that doesnt help much, but it's hard to diagnose a problem like that without actually seeing the system and it's settings.

Chris

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 10:54 PM

So basically, you are getting no internet connectivity at all?

I'm assuming the cable modem is fine, so let's start where it all enters your computer.

Make sure the drivers for your network card are properly installed.

Check your Network Card's TCP/IP settings to make sure that it is configured to get it's IP via DHCP from the Cable Modem. (And turn off the QoS Scheduler, and if you don't need them, the Client for MS Network and File and Printer Sharing.)
In the IE "Tools" Menu -> Internet Options -> Connections Tab -> LAN Settings Button, make sure the proxys are turned OFF, and that everything else is turned OFF.

Can you copy the codes that you are getting, and paste them here?

Worst Case, Just reinstall XP. I like to reinstall my machine every 6 months just to keep things running nicely. If you don't want to do this because of activation "Issues", then PM me and I'll fix you up so you can reinstall.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2003, 02:11 AM

Nuke and repave. Why is it people always do a list of rediculously stupid things before they come to their senses and just do the inevitable?

Lesson learned: Never use any "anti virus", "firewall", "internet accelerator" or other 3rd party &*(@#$ apps.

The solution to most of your problems is to get a non-outlook email program (eudora maybe), and mozilla firebird instead of internet explorer.

You'll get no popups and no viruses that way

And then use common sense, save what you consider delicate and important information to CDs and other disks and keep it safe.

to be PERFECTLY HONEST there is no true way to fix your problems in most any scenario (viruses, hard drive problems, etc), then to nuke and repave.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2003, 02:29 AM

Damn Zone Alarm and all other Windows "firewalls".

Zone Alarm is probably your problem. A family friend had this exact same problem on a Windows ME computer and I just ended up reformating it..

christ
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2003, 12:02 PM

On XP Pro you can do a system restore to a restore point before the installation of zone alarm, and that should undo the evil magicks without a complete re-installation. (If your machine was set up to allow system restores, which XP Pro is by default)
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

The Mick
Senior User
Jun 20, 2003, 12:11 PM

Try resetting your TCP/IP protocol to it's original condition by running this at a command prompt:
netsh int ip reset cresetlog.txt
Reboot and try it again. It may not work since lots of those firewalls are network stack shims, so you'd have to reinstall the OS.

I'm not going to call an ambulance this time because then you won't learn anything.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2003, 12:32 PM

I think your sig has something to do with it.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

klinux
Senior User
Jun 20, 2003, 05:19 PM

DO NOT listen to the people whose first solution is to reinstall. Not only is that a cop-out solution that may not fix your problem but it is also time-consuming.

First things first, Check all hardware is on, cables in, etc. Second, confirm that you can connect to the internet. Can you ping/access any internal addresses i.e. the router, modem, or another machine on the network?

<Start>Run>cmd>ping 192.168.1.1 (or put other IPs here) What do you get?

Second, are you using DHCP? Check your own IP address. type ipconfig /all

Can other machines connect to the internet on your network?

Does anothe browser i.e. Mozilla work?

What if you log in as the admin? (ctrl-alt-del twice at the log-in screen)

Just trying to isolate the problem for you here...

theCleaner?  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2003, 09:00 PM

Klinux,
yep, I tried all of those except Mozilla, IE is the only browser I have. I can't do the restore thingy, becuase for some wierd reason, mine was not turned on.

sorry about the sig. I'll get rid of it.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2003, 11:25 PM

Originally posted by klinux:
DO NOT listen to the people whose first solution is to reinstall. Not only is that a cop-out solution that may not fix your problem but it is also time-consuming.

First things first, Check all hardware is on, cables in, etc. Second, confirm that you can connect to the internet. Can you ping/access any internal addresses i.e. the router, modem, or another machine on the network?

<Start>Run>cmd>ping 192.168.1.1 (or put other IPs here) What do you get?

Second, are you using DHCP? Check your own IP address. type ipconfig /all

Can other machines connect to the internet on your network?

Does anothe browser i.e. Mozilla work?

What if you log in as the admin? (ctrl-alt-del twice at the log-in screen)

Just trying to isolate the problem for you here...
It's not a cop-out solution. I've had this problem, and if he's using ZA like he says he is, I can almost 99.999% guarantee that's the problem. There was no solution except reinstalling which will only take 30-45 minutes on a modern PC, and the machine will run like new again Win win. I suggest using a good firewall program, and making sure you turn off XP's default firewall before installing any other 3rd party one.

Chris

klinux
Senior User
Jun 21, 2003, 02:34 AM

Originally posted by theCleaner?:
Klinux,
yep, I tried all of those except Mozilla, IE is the only browser I have. I can't do the restore thingy, becuase for some wierd reason, mine was not turned on.
So what happens when you tried to ping an internal vs external IP? What does ipconfig /all say?

kmkkid: I have used Zonealarm for many years. It is a highly praised program in the PC community. I do not see how you can "guarantee" that ZA is the issue.

Forum Links
Forum Rules