Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook Bad Motherboard?

iBook Bad Motherboard?
playtone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2007, 04:25 PM

I'm having a very frustrating problem with my White iBook. The other day I was just trucking along on the internet and the computer froze. Now every time I try to boot it, it freezes earlier and earlier in the boot up process.

I have tried PRAM and NVRAM, and even tried resetting the PMU. None of that worked. the next thing I did was pop in my diagnostic disc and boot from it, and everything came back fine on both sets of tests time and time again as I tried each test 10 times looking for an intermittent problems. Finally I decided to just wipe it an start over, but it won't boot from my restore disc, or my OS X disc that I bought for my G4 tower. I have also tried this with and without the batter in the laptop.

So to me it looks like the motherboard has died , which I have never seen happen in a mac and I've been repairing macs and other pc's since the early 90's.

Does anybody have any other suggestions for me to try?

Thanks!

Dork.
Professional Poster
May 17, 2007, 05:24 PM

Some white iBooks have known logic board problems. How old is it? If it's less than three years old, the extended logc board warranty may apply.

Apple - Support - iBook - Expanded Logic Board Repair Extension Program - FAQ

playtone  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2007, 06:08 PM

Thanks for that tid bit of info. I checked out the link and gave Apple a quick call, after getting the guy to understand I was just checking on the extended logic board replacement so I didn't get charged $50 for tech support I was told that this laptop does not fall under that replacement program and that a new board would cost $1000 plus labor for the work from any "licensed" Apple repair store, preferably an Apple Store.

I guess I'm out of luck then, and will look at another mac laptop unless you guys have any more suggestions?

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
May 17, 2007, 07:21 PM

If you have a G3, read this:

http://forums.macnn.com/66/ibook-and...b-logic-board/

If you have a G4, read this:

ibook G4 logic board fix

Forum Links
Forum Rules