Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Faulty hard drive on iBook G4

Faulty hard drive on iBook G4
qhtrinh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2007, 02:34 PM

Hey,

Well I'm not on the warranty anymore... and my iBook's hard drive suddenly died. It already happened once when I was on the warranty and now that I'm not, it's gonna cost me 200$ to repair. So I was thinking about buying a hard drive on eBay for about 40$ and doing it myself. And after much thought, if it doesn't work I can bring the whole thing and ask them to repair it for me with the hard drive I bought for a lesser 80$.

Any thoughts about this? And has anyone ever tried replacing the hard drive themselves? Is it that difficult and risky or if I'm careful I should be able to do it? I've already built a desktop computer from nothing so can I do the same with a laptop?

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
May 17, 2007, 03:58 PM

The iBooks are a horror show.
Go here:
iFixit: iPod, iBook, & PowerBook Parts and Accessories
They got the parts and the instructions. If you decide to do it, just spread out on a big table, use pieces of paper to label the screws, stay organized.

Northeastern292
Forum Regular
May 17, 2007, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post
The iBooks are a horror show.
Go here:
iFixit: iPod, iBook, & PowerBook Parts and Accessories
They got the parts and the instructions. If you decide to do it, just spread out on a big table, use pieces of paper to label the screws, stay organized.
So are MBP hard drive repairs/upgrades. Just upgraded the 100GB stock to a 160GB and it is a frustration waiting to happen.
The Mac Collection:

Power Mac G4 Sawtooth at 450MHz, Power Mac G4 Gigabit Ethernet at 400MHz, three Power Mac FW800's at 1.0GHz, MacBook Pro at 2.0GHz, my late father's G3 iMac at 350MHz, an iMac at 500MHz, a PowerBook G4 (12-inch VGA) and a PowerBook 170

rach
Forum Regular
May 17, 2007, 05:31 PM

It is not that hard but make sure that you have all the right tools if you are going to do it yourself. If you do not use all the right tools you can easily strip a screw and getting it out will be difficult.

Also, there are three connectors on the motherboard that are very easy to pull of. The power connector socket can easily come of if you apply to much pressure or pull at it.
The iFixit website suggest that you need to remove the power connector cable and speaker cable out in order to fit the HD. You don't really need to do this. People have pulled of their power connector socket by mistake while attempting this. If i was going to upgrade myself again i would not take those connectors out because the power connector as i said can come of quite easily.
The only connector that really needs to be taken of is trackpad power connector cable.

Also, just thinking about it depending on what HD Apple used as a replacement for you that HD may still actually be in warranty. Maybe you could contact the HD manufacturer as you should have a HD serial number and ask them about this. I imagine that you may want to upgrade to something bigger or faster anyway now you have the opportunity to do so.
( Last edited by rach; May 17, 2007 at 06:11 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules