Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Will 10.5 ever run on my Pismo?

Will 10.5 ever run on my Pismo?
Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2007, 02:57 PM

I can't recall if it's on the official list of supported machines for 10.4, but I've had no problems keeping my 400mhz G3 powerbook up to date until now. It will be a few more revisions before I lay down cash for 10.5 anyway, but I'm already wondering if I'll be able to run it on my Pismo, either by virtue of the installer or just the plain old hardware's abilities. Your thoughts?

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2007, 03:10 PM

I don't think it will work, stick with Tiger.
Signature depreciated.

SVass
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2007, 03:17 PM

Somewhere I read that if you format an external drive with Leopard using another machine, then you can boot slower machines off the external. sam

mfbernstein
Senior User
Oct 31, 2007, 05:08 PM

The processor speed limitations can be worked around easily enough. However, G3s are officially not supported, so it's not likely to run at all without major hacking.

Much of Leopard's appeal is eye candy, which won't work all that well on the Pismo anyways, so I don't see the point of trying it other than as a proof-of-concept.

Matthew Attoe
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2007, 08:08 AM

Hi,

Would you mind telling me how to work around th processor speed limitations. Sounds like a useful thing to know.

Many thanks,

Matthew
Early 2008 Mac Pro (8 x 2.8), original Core Duo 2.0GHz MacBook Pro

VetPsychWars
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2007, 08:27 AM

In short, the answer is no.

Some people have gotten Leopard running on Pismos with G4/550 upgrade cards, but there's a lot that just doesn't work right. It's been optimized to run on Intel and PPC for a lot of people is actually slower than Tiger. In addition, the video on the Pismo is just so out of date that it's probably not even worth the attempt.

And, as others have mentioned, Leopard won't run on G3s.

As others have mentioned, stick with Tiger.

Tom

PaperNotes
Nov 7, 2007, 03:31 PM

You won't lose anything sticking to Tiger. The cat has a long life.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2007, 06:17 PM

Has anyone actually tried running it on a G3? It should be an unsupported CPU, but the instruction set is the same as the G4. If leopard can recognise a G3, it should be able to run on it. Though if it can recognise it, its probably blocked by Apple.
Also Leopard will contain no G3 optimised libraries or code. Whether it can run the Rage Mobility 128 is another potential stopping point. Though if it runs on G4 upgraded machines, thats obviously not an issue. Perhaps its similar enough to the Rage128 from the G4s to work.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

mfbernstein
Senior User
Nov 8, 2007, 05:50 PM

The G4 and the G3 do _not_ have an identical instruction set. The G4 also has Altivec which is used in a substantial number of Apple's apps/libraries.

There are G4 upgrades for the Pismo. People with the upgrades have reported success in installing Leopard.

The processor-speed work-around was posted here. Basically you need to duplicate the installer and remove the CPU-speed check.

freudling
Banned
Nov 10, 2007, 05:24 AM

USE THE SEARCH. Same old stuff, people post without searching.

What has happened to the days when MACNN did not have much of this kind of stuff, when people would post when the search came up dry, not just blindly posting the same stuff over and over. Another instance of why MacNN is on the slide. There are so many posts now, but only a few are worth anything.

yticolev
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2007, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
USE THE SEARCH. Same old stuff, people post without searching.

What has happened to the days when MACNN did not have much of this kind of stuff, when people would post when the search came up dry, not just blindly posting the same stuff over and over. Another instance of why MacNN is on the slide. There are so many posts now, but only a few are worth anything.
Perhaps a year ago, search stopped working and I stopped using it here. Just tried it now, every search comes back with no results (and does not even say so). This would lead any new user to just post a query.

I discovered that this is the case for a new user, and old users who are not signed in. Once you sign in, then search results are returned. However, search does not work as well as in the past. If MACNN fixes these bugs, you will not see as many of these queries. Until then, stop blaming the victim.

Forum Links
Forum Rules