Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Should I replace PB b'cause of bad pixel?

Should I replace PB b'cause of bad pixel?
JRusselC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2004, 09:11 PM

I just took delivery of a new PowerBook G4 17� yesterday. I am a college teacher and a dedicated PC user (though not a PC fanatic). This computer is really for my wife who is a student and recently announced her intentions to �switch�. I told her that I know almost nothing about Macs and would not be able to help her. She stated that if she got the PowerBook she would not need my help (Ouch!).

We ordered the PowerBook online through the Apple Education Store and I offered some advice on upgrades for the machine. I advised her to order the video upgrade (128mb) and the hard drive upgrade (5400rpm). I thought these upgrades would give the machine a little more �pep�.

I must say that I am impressed with the PowerBook. The design, features, and performance are outstanding! There was one major problem that came up though and my wife was heart broken. When she started to play a DVD movie on the unit, my wife told me that there was a �white spot� on the screen that would not go away. I took a look at the screen and sure enough, there was a stuck pixel in the middle of the screen about 3 inches down from the top. My wife chose the 17� model so that she could watch movies and the defect is indeed very distracting. My wife was very disappointed. I tried to explain to her that there can be defects with this kind of technology but she was still unhappy. I promised her I would call Apple tech support today and see what they could do.

After contacting Apple support I have to say that I was impressed with their support staff. They were knowledgeable, helpful, and sympathetic. And I found out the following:

1. because I just purchased the PowerBook, they would replace it for another!

2.The screen on the replacement should be OK, but there was a chance that the replacement might have more defects than the original and if the number of defects on the replacement were within Apple acceptable limits, I could not get another replacement after this one.

The people I spoke with at Apple seemed to think that it would be very unlikely to get a replacement with defects but they could not guarantee that would be the case.

My question for the group is:

What should I do? The stuck pixel is not so noticeable when doing regular things, but my wife likes to do graphics and watch movies. It is very noticeable at these times. Also, what are my chances of getting a replacement with a defect, or worse?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated from members of this group!

Regards,

JRussellC

twoworads
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2004, 09:55 PM

I am a college student and got a 17" Powerbook for school. I use it heavily for graphics (Adobe CS Products, 3D Rendering, and CAD), music compostition, and, of course, the long plane rides (movies). All my stuff is for theatre design.

I was a little concerned at first, but later realized it didn't matter as much as I thought it would. Everyone to whom I pointed it out was unaware until I told them it was a dead pixel.

It doesn't bother me, but others are different. Apple is known for their quality. But there are those times. However, generally speaking, the price we pay is for the best. I highly doubt you'll see another dead pixel in the replacement if you so choose to get one.

The Apple is a good choice though for school. I had many friends go down to technical services for help with viruses. No one has written viruses for Apple's operating software; as such there are no viruses for the system to catch.

Well, I hope some of that helps.

JRusselC  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2004, 10:38 PM

It does help. I am really leaning toward sending the PB in for a replacement because I got the impression that Apple quality will win out in the end and my chances of getting a replacement with another defect is "very rare" to quote one of the Apple support staff that I spoke with.

The particular stuck pixle on the PB in question is exactly at eye level and quite brite. It is hard to ignore.

Thank you for your advice.

Regards,

JRusselC

crouchingtiger
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2004, 10:53 PM

I say it's an easy call -- if the wife isn't happy with it and Apple has said they are willing to replace it then do it!
Both 17" Powerbooks I have seen did not have any bad pixels. Not a large sample size, of course, but at least it's possible...

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2004, 11:16 PM

I can't promise anything either but I would go for the swap. My old 1 Ghz had one dead pixel and at the end of the year developed a film of threadlike vertical lines on the right side of the screen. After 3 unsuccessful tries to repair it I was given a brand new 1.5 Ghz for my old 1 Ghz. The screen is perfect and the laptop is pretty flawless. I kinda suspect they inspected the screen before giving it to me to make sure but who knows. I am just one happy camper right now. Don't pinch me; I might wake up!

JRusselC  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2004, 11:55 PM

I was a happy camper also when I realized what a nice machine this is. It is perfect for my wife and she loves the features.

I do have one concern though.

Will the replacement be a refurbished? And if so, should that matter? I have heard that a well-refurbished machine is as good as or better than a factory-new model. It is like having a machine double-checked by experts.

I wonder though.....

ibook_steve
Jul 2, 2004, 01:30 PM

I *cannot* believe you are getting a complete replacement for a single pixel failure. Somebody at Apple must have been in a really good mood because, as has been discussed ad infinitum on this board, you shouldn't be able to get any sort of replacement unless you have at least 5 bad pixels closely grouped together. Take the replacement and be extremely happy in the knowledge that somebody at Apple likes you that much.

Steve

kafoochy
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2004, 01:56 PM

I'm also surprised that Apple is offering to replace the whole laptop with a new one because of one bad pixel. I currently have two stuck pixels (blue and red) but was told I need to live with them. I noticed the stuck pixels when I watched my first DVD, but haven't paid attention to them since and they don't bother me at all. I would imagine that a white pixel would be more distracting however.

The two stuck pixels that I have are on my 1.5Ghz 15" AluPB. My original 1.25Ghz model had a perfect screen with no dead-pixels (except for white spots of course). I just want to comment on Apple's replacement models. Yes, there is a chance of you getting a computer that has another dead pixel or other problems, but this is the chance that you take with a mass-produced computer. My original 1.25Ghz had enough problems and spent enough time being repaired that Apple replaced a month ago with a 1.5Ghz model. I received a new retail case and everything, new power adapter, manuals, DVDs, etc. I thought it was well worth it, especially since I have a computer that is now almost perfect (aside from the two stuck pixels and the slight buckle in the keyboard). I'd say go for it, since you have been given this opportunity and most people wouldn't be so lucky. Good luck!

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 2, 2004, 02:10 PM

( Last edited by azdude; Jul 28, 2004 at 08:59 AM. )
17" 2.33GHz C2D MacBook Pro / 320GB / 2GB

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 2, 2004, 02:26 PM

I would definitely go for it just because apple is letting you. As the other guys have said, this is not something that they (or most other computer manufs) let you do for 1 pix. Anyawy, I purchased a Samsung 191T last year for school to use with a new PC that I had just purchased. It came with 1 pix stuck green about 2.5 inches from the top center of the screan. It p***** me off for quite a while, but I eventually forgot about it. The awesomeness of the screan easily made up for 1 stuck pix. I'm betting this is the case with the 17" screan also. You'll notice it at first... but eventually it will fade in your head and you'll have to look to find it!

JRusselC  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2004, 03:04 PM

One thing I noticed when I first looked at the PB 17' as compared to the PC based 17' laptops (Gateway, Toshiba, Sony, Sager) is that the Powerbook has an extreemly thin screen. thinner than all the others. While this makes for a great design feature, I wonder if the thin design of the lcd could be responsible for pixel problems?

kafoochy
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2004, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by JRusselC:
One thing I noticed when I first looked at the PB 17' as compared to the PC based 17' laptops (Gateway, Toshiba, Sony, Sager) is that the Powerbook has an extreemly thin screen. thinner than all the others. While this makes for a great design feature, I wonder if the thin design of the lcd could be responsible for pixel problems?
From what I've read and understand, dead or stuck pixels are anomalies of the manufacturing process, and have nothing to do with the casing used in the final product. Better production techniques have yielded better screens, but they still can't be perfect. Apple does not manufacture the screens, other companies, Samsung for example, do. The dead/stuck pixels would be already present before the screen was given to Apple. The only possible side-effect of the thin screen frame/bezel was the "white-spot" issue that Rev. A Aluminum PBs suffered, and even that has been fixed. One theory is that there were pressure points created on the back of the screen, but even this did not cause dead/stuck pixels. If it makes you feel any better, a client recent came in with his brand new Gateway laptop and besides noting how thick, heavy and plastic-feeling the computer was, it had no less than 4 stuck pixels. In Steve Jobs' keynote address at WWDC, he said that "Our competitors buy the panels we reject". I've seen how true this is. I'm happy with only two stuck pixels. My dad recently bought a "refreshed" 20" Cinema Display at an Apple store because it had three stuck pixels. Apple holds very high standards and I don't think you need to worry about anything Apple did to cause the stuck pixel you have.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 3, 2004, 12:22 AM

Yeah it's definitely not apple's fualt by any means. They do have relatively high quality screans compared to their lower end competitors (dell, gateway, etc...). There are PCs with great LCDs... you just have to pay lots and lots for them

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2004, 03:07 AM

now's probly a bad time to bring up a 12inch powerbook replaced by a new one for one stuck green =) .. i rather have a dead pixel then a stuck one .. assuming the stuck one doesnt fix itself. black is less distracting then bright green .. one can imagine it to be a spec of dust. a lit one bugs me to no end ... switch it out . .my new one was plenty defect free ... so far!

i feel bad for people with 30 inch cinema displays .. 4.1 million pixels? holy moley ..

crouchingtiger
Forum Regular
Jul 4, 2004, 04:12 AM

I'm pretty sure that Apple's LCD replacement policy includes exceptions for single dead/stuck pixels that are directly in the middle of the screen (and hence much more distracting).

TommyLeeRoth
Forum Regular
Jul 4, 2004, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
now's probly a bad time to bring up a 12inch powerbook replaced by a new one for one stuck green =) ..
How'd you manage that?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2004, 10:42 AM

Have you tried massaging the pixel? That can help.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2004, 01:19 PM

If Apple offers, I would say go for it. If not, I would not bother.

I guess I am lucky to have no bad pixels.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2004, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by azdude:
IMPORTANT: Do not release the specifications to customers. Instead, inform them that a certain number of subpixel anomalies are considered acceptable, and these factors apply to all manufacturers using LCD technology--- not just Apple products.
Um... you don't work for Apple, do you? If you do, you won't be for too much longer...

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2004, 11:23 PM

The reason for replacement is term "white spot" not stuck or dead pixel! If it is a pixel ..... good luck.... I think communication is the problem!

Cohenista
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2004, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Have you tried massaging the pixel? That can help.
Thank you so much for posting this! Until a couple of hours ago, I had a bright green pixel stuck in the top-centre of the left-hand side of my screen, and it was driving me mad. A couple of massages, and it seems to have gone for good.

Forum Links
Forum Rules