Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mail can't use IMAP folders

Mail can't use IMAP folders
Thinine
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2005, 05:50 AM

For the past 2 years, with every Panther version of Mail, every Tiger version of Mail, and Panther and Tiger Server, I haven't been able to use IMAP folders to store my email. I've never really been able to find out why. I can transfer some messages but not others. Nothing shows up in my local console logs or my server logs and I'm at my wits end with this problem. All that pops up in Mail is "The message "Blank" could not be sent to the server." or something like that.

I want to use my freaking IMAP!

toffe
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2005, 06:04 AM

Interresting. I'm also using IMAP. Evertyhing works fine, but when i write emails, i often get the message (while writing the mail) that it "could not save the email".

Sending/receiving works fine.
But if i i.e. close a mail i am writng, and it asks if i want to save it, and select "save", it says that it could not be saved, and it goes back to the mail i just wrote.

Gavin
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2005, 06:43 AM

So you are running your own imap server?

Could you have some funny setting on your mailbox, ACL, etc.?

Does imap work for other users with this server?

Sounds like a server issue. I use several imap accounts just fine with Mail. Mostly from a linux server running Cyrus which I believe is what OSX Server uses.

Does OSX have cyradm? It's a tool that lets you talk directly to cyrus and see what the real mailbox settings are. You may also want to rebuild your mailbox, maybe it's simply corrupt.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...05804#comments
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

arenson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2005, 01:06 AM

(I hope this does not show up twice...I get an error when trying to post)

In Mail with IMAP I get THIS MESSAGE CANNOT BE SAVED if I uncheck SAVE ON SERVER, but at least messages save on the computer under SENT.

On the other hand, if I check SAVE ON SERVER, the messages do not seem to be saved anywhere in the folders already created by the web interface of my provider (using HORDE).

Has anyone experienced this? I suppose the settings in the web interface and the MAIL settings interact/overlap/cancel each other out, but it is wierd.

I can easily just click OK when I get THIS MESSAGE CANNOT BE SAVED, but it is annoying.

ANOTHER minor problem--->
Also, old setttings remain seemingly forever--old providers, fort example. I would like to really delete them if possible.

Thank in advance.

paul

Forum Links
Forum Rules