Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > ARD VNC from a PC?

ARD VNC from a PC?
Thinine
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2007, 04:36 PM

Just wondering if it's possible to get the VNC provided by the Apple Remote Desktop client (3.2) working with a Windows VNC client. I've tried TightVNC and RealVNC, and neither of them work. I only have remote access to the Mac I want to control, so any solution that requires accessing the System Preferences Sharing pane won't work, unless there's a defaults command to write what is needed.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2007, 06:05 PM

TightVNC, UltraVNC, and a few other VNC clients work fine for me... probably firewall or network configuration issues.

Brass
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2007, 07:24 PM

Have you configured it to allow access for VNC users?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2007, 08:08 PM

Also, ARD works over port 5900 rather than the more standard (I think) 5901. VNC ports are determined by 5900 + display number, where Apple uses display number "0".

You can determine what display number/port to use by doing a:

telnet machinename 5900
telnet machinename 5901

and seeing which one responds. I'm not certain whether the Windows/DOS telnet app accepts a port number as an argument, but perhaps it is worth a try...

Thinine  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2007, 04:25 PM

I figured out how to use ARD's kickstart script to activate VNC and put in a VNC password, so RealVNC and TightVNC seem to connect all right. But they never display a video window. I'm trying to connect to a Tiger Server box. Any way to tell from the command line if the firewall is active. I'm not the only administrator on the box.

Forum Links
Forum Rules