Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Damn, I thought it would be Sept 5th. A merom dilemma.

Damn, I thought it would be Sept 5th. A merom dilemma.
Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 22, 2006, 11:22 AM

I thought the new MBP's might be announced on sept 5th, now it looks like it will be the 12th.

Given that I live in the UK, but am on holiday in Canada, this leaves me with a dilemma as I fly home on the 10th. A MBP is 350 UK pounds cheaper when bought in canada than in the UK. So, I have to decide if it's worth buying the current release of a MBP and saving the money, or paying the extra and getting the newer processor?

Thoughts?
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

ibook_steve
Aug 22, 2006, 01:27 PM

Trying to base the timing of a purchase of a new Apple product is foolish. Get the machine you want when you want it at the price you want to pay. Trusting a rumor site to set a release date is even more foolish.

Steve

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2006, 03:49 PM

The newer processor will give you around a 8% CPU performance improvement, which when you take into account the underlying subsystems, will be about as noticeable as a 0% improvement in all but CPU bound tasks--if you are doing DVD encoding full time or other CPU bound tasks, it might be worth waiting, but if not, no need to throw away your 350 quid.

(Heck you could probably buy a merom CPU for $350 and slip it in later, if you must.

ibook_steve
Aug 22, 2006, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by dimmer
The newer processor will give you around a 8% CPU performance improvement, which when you take into account the underlying subsystems, will be about as noticeable as a 0% improvement in all but CPU bound tasks--if you are doing DVD encoding full time or other CPU bound tasks, it might be worth waiting, but if not, no need to throw away your 350 quid.

(Heck you could probably buy a merom CPU for $350 and slip it in later, if you must.
Doubtful, unless he or she knows how to desolder and resolder BGA chips. The CPU is not socketed in the MBP.

Steve

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2006, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Freeflyer
I thought the new MBP's might be announced on sept 5th, now it looks like it will be the 12th.

Given that I live in the UK, but am on holiday in Canada, this leaves me with a dilemma as I fly home on the 10th. A MBP is 350 UK pounds cheaper when bought in canada than in the UK. So, I have to decide if it's worth buying the current release of a MBP and saving the money, or paying the extra and getting the newer processor?

Thoughts?
If you're really excited about getting the next generation MBP than I would would wait and just buy it in the UK when it comes out. It's unfortunate you can't get it cheaper in Canada while you're there but the cheaper price on the old model will be negated anyway since you always get more for your money with the newer model--usually. Who knows, there might be more to the newer MBP than just an upgraded processor when it comes out.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2006, 10:49 PM

IMO at this point it is worth it for MBP buyers like you and me to wait to see what the Meroms bring. It is not just about the cpu speed increase; graphics cards may change too which would make for a significant improvement on heavy graphics apps and OS 10.5 performance. Prices will change too.

We may (or may not) see changes in RAM (4 accessible GB would be a HUGE improvement well worth waiting for), hard drives (faster, bigger or two), FW 800 on 15", faster DVD burners, new configurations, whatever. IMO worth waiting to see unless one must have a new box right now.

Perhaps you can hook up with a Canadian friend who could buy one for you later (except note that I have no clue as to how your VAT etc. work).

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Aug 22, 2006 at 10:57 PM. )

Freeflyer  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 23, 2006, 01:01 AM

import duty and tax would negate any savings. You either get one here and carry it home or buy one at home. Sucks but there you are. Will think about it for a week and then decide.

Cheers all.

Justin.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

Forum Links
Forum Rules