Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > new g5 and WoW are fighting!!

new g5 and WoW are fighting!!
MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 1, 2005, 01:25 AM

So I bought a new 2gh dual proc g5 and a 6800 ultra ddr, not solely to play warcraft (i keep telling myself at least) but that's definitely one of the things I want to use it for... but it keeps freezing!

Just midgame, it completely hangs. No crash, no movement, no leadup, just *BAM* and game over. Need to reboot computer. Nothing in the console. I've wiped the disk and reinstalled the OS and fully patched and reinstalled WoW and fully patched. And now I get the same thing. Any ideas?

Please?

I'm crying on the inside. And the outside.

~BS

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2005, 01:41 AM

Originally posted by MrBS:
So I bought a new 2gh dual proc g5 and a 6800 ultra ddr, not solely to play warcraft (i keep telling myself at least) but that's definitely one of the things I want to use it for... but it keeps freezing!

Just midgame, it completely hangs. No crash, no movement, no leadup, just *BAM* and game over. Need to reboot computer. Nothing in the console. I've wiped the disk and reinstalled the OS and fully patched and reinstalled WoW and fully patched. And now I get the same thing. Any ideas?

Please?

I'm crying on the inside. And the outside.

~BS
Is the freeze only occuring while running WoW? If so, try turing off all shaders in the video options and see if that does anything. Also, visit the WoW website and navigate to the tech support forums. Most likely, you will find better help there. Good luck!

Wes
Jan 2, 2005, 03:13 AM

Do the fans come on at all? Is it only WoW that does it? Try running something else processor intensive and see if the same thing happens. I have a 2 gig G5 (rev A), and I had all kinds of trouble with it just "freezing". Turns out one of the processors was bad and would over heat in a flash. Had to get it replaced only to receive another faulty processor. I'm now on my 3rd one and life is good though

Also, do you notice the fans come on more when playing WoW? With my two bad processors the fans were almost always on at a rather audible volume. I thought it was normal because I had never experienced another G5, but now with my "good" processor its whisper quiet.

On my second processor the system would put itself to sleep, and in the log would be "thermal overrun detected: sleeping" or some such thing. So watch for that too.

In any case, good luck with it.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2005, 09:31 PM

I have the same setup as you, and I play wow day in and day out lately, never experienced any crash... only different maybe is I have 2 gigs of ram. Other than that, completely same computer as you. I have all graphic options turned up to max too. Game plays perfectly on my Power Mac.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2005, 09:23 PM

I had the exact same problem with WoW on my powerbook- turned out it was bad RAM. Had to run the hardware test CD EXTENDED test to find it- the short test didn't find it.

onetonmartin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2005, 02:15 PM

I've got a Dual 2Ghz G5 with 3G of ram & I still can't seem to get that Hearthstone effect to work properly. What I mean is to make it do the full animation and then end up at the other inn. Instead what it does is show my gnome strike the hearthstone pose and a green cloud starts to appear then...the load screen. I would love to see the entire "beaming animation" if at all possible. any suggestions?

videian28
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2005, 12:01 PM

no problems on my big Mac either

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2005, 03:11 AM

sounds like bad RAM. most of the other things you do on your comp probably don't tax it the same way. Even hardware tests, believe it or not.

I had some bad RAM that no test (even the in-house only Apple ones, administered both by me and the guys at Apple) would find. RAM in, death and destruction. RAM out, everything's peachy.

DaveNinja
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2005, 03:18 PM

I'm playing WoW on a dual 1.8 G5 with a gig of ram and an ATI 9600 (128mb). It plays smooth but the view distance is on the low side, if i turn it up, it gets all choppy when i move around. I would think i would be able to have the sets atleast near the middle with my set up.

Any ideas? Can anyone else who is playing on a simular set up post their settings?
daveninja.com

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 10, 2005, 06:46 PM

Anyone know how to get a screenshot in WoW?
I assume snapz pro, but I'll do without if I have to purchase something.

Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2005, 07:30 PM

F13?
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2005, 09:00 PM

Dave: I have the same setup ('cept my 9600 is 64MB), and that's how it was for me in the beta... I could turn everything up 'cept the draw distance. I haven't tried though with the newer, better code in retail and the optimizations in 10.3.7... should be getting my copy this weekend though

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 10, 2005, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by Skip Breakfast:
F13?
Indeed. Thank you.

webb3201
Senior User
Jan 12, 2005, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by onetonmartin:
I've got a Dual 2Ghz G5 with 3G of ram & I still can't seem to get that Hearthstone effect to work properly. What I mean is to make it do the full animation and then end up at the other inn. Instead what it does is show my gnome strike the hearthstone pose and a green cloud starts to appear then...the load screen. I would love to see the entire "beaming animation" if at all possible. any suggestions?
That stinks, I have a much less capable setup and it works for me. I am running an ATI card, which could make some sort of difference.
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules