Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > timing of new MacBook purchase

timing of new MacBook purchase
bbales
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2008, 09:23 AM

I'm in the market for a new MacBook, to replace my nearly 5 1/20-year-old original 12-inch aluminum PB. It's simply getting long in the tooth and is slow-w-w-w-w-, especially compared to my alum. iMac. I'm mulling my options -- I could get a refurb, plus a free printer. Then I think it might be better to go new and get a free iPod (and maybe a printer, too, though I really don't need another, and my daughter just got one with her MacBook for college. We got a free iPod there, too.) I could always sell one of the iPods, as everyone in my family, except me, has gotten new ones in the past year.

Or, I could wait for the rumored new ones. Obviously, price would be a premium there (or most likely). But if it's a wildly new machine, I'm not sure I'd want to go first generation. (Of course, I have a first gen 12-inch PB and a first-gen aluminum iMac!).

I don't have to have one immediately and can wait. I'm just trying to figure out where I get the most for my money and, given that I obviously don't replace machines very often, where I'd be happiest in terms of performance.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2008, 12:45 PM

Personally, I'd wait a few months in anticipation of a new design. If it comes out, you'll have the option of getting either the new machine, or a great deal on a refurb. If it turns out that the rumors were unsubstantiated (very unlikely at this point, but still possible), then you're no worse for the waiting.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2008, 01:23 PM

What Theo said.

-Allen Wicks

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2008, 01:36 PM

Intel just released the chips/chipsets for a new MacBook Pro, so I'd expect Apple to upgrade the MBP in a month or so. The chips/chipsets for a new MacBook are coming in a month or two, and will probably have a similar lag time of a month or so.

roller
Forum Regular
Jul 24, 2008, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
Personally, I'd wait a few months in anticipation of a new design. If it comes out, you'll have the option of getting either the new machine, or a great deal on a refurb. If it turns out that the rumors were unsubstantiated (very unlikely at this point, but still possible), then you're no worse for the waiting.
To echo the advice you are already getting, why not wait if this is not a purchase you need to make today? Apple generally doesn't change the price point, but rather the specs within the price structure they currently use, so that should not be an issue.

It has always been my opinion that while computers quickly become obsolete no matter when you buy them, it always feels better to purchase right after a new release than right before it!
My Macs: 15" Macbook Pro, Mac Pro,
Lab of ~ 25 various models purchased over the last eight years

My Sites: AppleBytes: Apple-inspired Tees and more, iSwitched: Guide for Switchers,
Yearbook QR Codes, Yearbook Unlimited

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2008, 04:48 PM

Of course the latest (in the last week or so) rumors also point to a downward shift in pricepoints... $999 for the MacBook and $1799 for the MBP.

Muffin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2008, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by bbales View Post
I'm just trying to figure out where I get the most for my money and, given that I obviously don't replace machines very often, where I'd be happiest in terms of performance.
Given the huge leap in performance compared to the 12" G4 PB, you would be happy with any recent model. If money is a major concern than refurb all the way. If performance is key wait another month or two and get the latest and greatest.

Buying Mac notebooks seems to be cumbersome when new ones are anticipated
( Last edited by Muffin; Jul 24, 2008 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Oopps)
MBP 15.4" 2.4 | iMac 20" 2.4 | Mac Pro 2.66 | 17" iMac G5 iSight | PM Quicksilver 867 G4

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2008, 08:21 PM

Also note that Apple has advised that a new product of some sort is coming soon. Whatever it is may impact your purchase decision.

-Allen Wicks

gangster
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2008, 02:20 AM

i saw today on fox news that there is a new imac and laptop line due before the holidays. the only specific detail was a touch screen on the imac.

xsphat
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2008, 03:05 AM

I've heard on podcasts that some big changes are coming in the end of September. I was already planning to upgrade from my gen one MacBook with my student loan money this year, so I'm going to wait a couple weeks extra for whatever is coming.

I'm hoping for an Apple netbook with full OS X, but that is pretty doubtful.

QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 26, 2008, 01:43 PM

wait
2002 Mac Mini i5 8GB 256GB SSD
2013 Macbook Air 4GB/128GB
iPad Mini A7 32GB

bbales  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2008, 04:55 PM

Yeah, I know I should wait -- and I will. But now that I've finally made the decision to replace my slow-w-w-w-w-w- 12-in PB, I want one now! Just like a kid...

I have a first-gen aluminum iMac, and it does feel good to get the latest and greatest -- I bought it about 2 or 3 days after they came out last August.

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Jul 27, 2008, 03:43 PM

I'm in the same boat. I am giving my first generation MacBook to my little sister for university, so I will be without a 'Book for maybe a month, depending when Apple plans to release the new hardware. It will be worth the wait, and thankfully I have an iMac to use while I'm without a lappy.
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules