Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Nintendo Wii

Nintendo Wii (Page 50)
sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 1, 2007, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
I can't believe you're seriously arguing that a 16-digit string of random numbers is better than a user-selected name.
Yeah seriously.

My XBL account is FattyMcBlobicus, exactly what I wanted and no numbers necessary.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2007, 02:53 AM

Finished Twilight Princess....finally i can get on with my life. Awesome game from start to finish.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 1, 2007, 02:58 AM

i played all of the wii sports games lastnight, loved em. i want a wii sooooo bad.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2007, 06:53 AM

I just noticed a few scrather on the bottom-side of my Wii, i usually have it i nthe stand and cant imagine how it got scratched. you cant really see em until u hold it upto the light. soooo annoying
(edit>> buffed em out with a mild abrasive.)
C'est la vie...... anyway...

Just started getting into CoD3, and it's a pretty solid game. the graphics are alright...GCN/XBox quality imo. i think if they were given more time to reine the Wii version we would have had better visuals, but you dont notice it once the game gets going. I must say....having a controller like the Wii's for this type of game...really immerses you.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Jan 1, 2007 at 10:14 AM. )

quattrokid73
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2007, 08:30 PM

whyis it GCN not NGC....? doesnt that stand for gamecube nintendo?

wouldnt it sound better nintendo gamecube, or am i just confused?
MBP 2.4, 2gb, 8600GT, 120gb 7200rpm; white iPhone 3G

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2007, 08:43 PM

Dear Nintendo,

I have recently had the pleasure of playing the GameCube version of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and I thoroughly enjoy it and look forward to playing the game through. It certainly seems to be a worthy addition to The Legend of Zelda series. I only have one small suggestion…HIRE SOME FREAKIN' VOICE ACTORS!

Thank You.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2007, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by quattrokid73 View Post
whyis it GCN not NGC....? doesnt that stand for gamecube nintendo?

wouldnt it sound better nintendo gamecube, or am i just confused?
Apparently NGC == Neo Geo Color, so Nintendo used GCN to avoid confusion. Just found that by googling, not sure how accurate it is.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 1, 2007, 09:39 PM

What would voice-acting have added to Twilight Princess? Truth be told: nothing at all. Just as it doesn't for most games: it's fluff to fill up a disc.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2007, 10:03 PM

Well, some people dont know hopw to read or find it way too hard. Nintendo is definately guilty of not catering to that sector of the population.

PS>> a GameCube disc would not permit full voice acting anyway, and imo, the Zelda serieswould loose a certain charm if there w as full voice acting. i remember Miyamoto comenting that the name "Link" was chose to serve as a Link between the player and the game...so to put voice acting in would defeat that purpose.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2007, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Well, some people dont know hopw to read or find it way too hard. Nintendo is definately guilty of not catering to that sector of the population.
Do you really think that's why voice acting was added to games???

Nintendo just never had a media format that allowed for voice acting within games. Now they do, so they need to start using it. It's something that can really immerse someone in the world of the video game, way more than reading the entire story does.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 1, 2007, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
What would voice-acting have added to Twilight Princess? Truth be told: nothing at all. Just as it doesn't for most games: it's fluff to fill up a disc.
I agree that voice acting doesn't fit in with Zelda, but... It adds nothing to most games and is just fluff to fill up a disc? You seriously don't think voice acting adds anything to games? Sure, if it's done badly it's worse than nothing, but in general I find that it really helps the game experience.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2007, 12:52 AM

Personally, i loved the voice acting in the Day of the Tentacle and Full Throttle, etc....

I just dont see it in Zelda or Mario or Metroid. luckily there are publishers that can put it n Wii discs if they want to now (higher capasity discs)

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2007, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Do you really think that's why voice acting was added to games???
I was being sarcastic, because some people will always manage to find something to complain about.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2007, 04:03 AM

You don't think that reading PAGE AFTER PAGE of text sort of "cools" the experience of playing? I don't mind reading but there is a damn lot of reading in some games.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2007, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
You don't think that reading PAGE AFTER PAGE of text sort of "cools" the experience of playing?
I'd rather read page after page of text than listen to minute after minute of dialogue from some dude with an annoying voice playing Link. Seriously, I can read faster than the average voice actor can speak.

Anyway, I don't know about y'all, but I cut my RPG teeth on SNES games like Final Fantasy 2 and 3 and Chrono Trigger — awesome games with even less voice acting than Zelda. I'm used to reading. With voice acting, a lot of it depends on the quality of the acting, and even in the best case, I don't feel like it's generally that much better.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2007, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
You don't think that reading PAGE AFTER PAGE of text sort of "cools" the experience of playing? I don't mind reading but there is a damn lot of reading in some games.
Reading is fundamental.

Seriously, I think text in video games is all that is keeping my students from being completely illiterate.

Them: "What are we supposed to do?"
Me: "Read the directions?"
Them: "Why can't you just tell me what to do?"
Me:

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2007, 08:36 AM

I don't like voice-overs. Case in point: Elebits. Holy frakkin crap.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2007, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
With attitudes like this, and the whole "graphics don't matter", I wonder why some people aren't happy with systems like the Atari 2600.

What is "good enough" for people? Should all games not have voice acting at all?

And before you hit that reply button, remember that people didn't like talking movies at one point.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2007, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
With attitudes like this, and the whole "graphics don't matter", I wonder why some people aren't happy with systems like the Atari 2600.

What is "good enough" for people? Should all games not have voice acting at all?

And before you hit that reply button, remember that people didn't like talking movies at one point.
Damn talkies!

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2007, 09:53 AM

Well it obviously depends on the type of game. like...Day of the Tentacle and Full Throttle (early 90s) still, imo, have the best voice acting in a game ever. but so many of the new games, its just so friggon annoying.....so repetitive. like in CoD3...if you have an objective you hear the same voice repeating the same sentence over and over. *cringe*

I think Zelda and Mario are one of those games where voice acting would be a bad idea. In Zelda, it would take out more of the zelda-appeal than adding to it.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2007, 11:15 AM

Well it obviously depends on the type of game. like...Day of the Tentacle and Full Throttle (early 90s) still, imo, have the best voice acting in a game ever. but so many of the new games, its just so friggon annoying.....so repetitive. like in CoD3...if you have an objective you hear the same voice repeating the same sentence over and over. *cringe*
Please separate voice acting and HOW IT'S USED. Those are two different things.

You can have the best voice acting in the world, but if it's used improperly, it could ruin the experience. That doesn't mean that voice acting ITSELF is bad.

A good ponit is in Cy Girls, your assistant would constantly say "Hello? What are you doing?". It got on my nerves so much that I never finished the game.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2007, 11:59 AM

You can have the best voice acting in the world, but if it's used improperly, it could ruin the experience.
e.g. sports games, who really needs a tv-like commentator ??

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2007, 12:33 PM

Couldn't play Twilight Princess on Atari!

Most games shouldn't have voice acting where text would suffice, because it's ****ing annoying and slow in most situations. There are some cases where voice acting is good, but not as many as people seem to think, and even in those situations, it isn't that much better.

Also, it's just one more thing that can go wrong. Annoying or bad voice actor? Oops!
Chuck
___

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2007, 12:51 PM

I think Zelda and Mario are one of those games where voice acting would be a bad idea. In Zelda, it would take out more of the zelda-appeal than adding to it.
I used to hate voice acting but more because it was a cutscene that took me away from play.

Then I got a PS2 and games like Jak and Daxter, ratchet and Clank etc really impressed me with the fully animated cut scenes as they brought life to the characters I was playing, trying to rescue and made the whole world feel alive.

That is my problem with recent Nintendo games. Back when they were on carts it was understandable but when they went to gamecube I thought it would change. It didn't. Prince of Percia had voice acting but the audio was so compressed it sounded like he was talking in a soup can. Metroid 2 REALLY turned me off with the cutscenes as it has SLIDESHOWS or short animations with scrolling text and dated MIDI music.

In Zelda the problem is since the characters are silent they take on a book feeling and come off lifeless. Link to me is nothing but a 3D dead inside animated character in a rather quite world where in games with great cutscenes and voice acting I connect with them on a level where I actually care about them and this world they live in.

The ironic thing is in Zelda I has sat through more cutscenes than four 360/PS3 games combined. To make it even worse they require reading and button mashing so you can't just skip it or get up to get something to drink.

Also remember how when Conkers came out for the N64 Nintendo fanboys and Rare all bragged that it had X number of lines of voice acting which everyone went ga ga over. It was justified as it brought a lot into the character. What ever happened cuz Nintendo fans sure liked it then?
( Last edited by Dark Helmet; Jan 2, 2007 at 02:42 PM. )

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2007, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
I used to hate voice acting but more because it was a cutscene that took me away from play.

Then I got a PS2 and games like Jak and Daxter, ratchet and Clank etc really impressed me with the fully animated cut scenes as they brought life to the characters I was playing, trying to rescue and made the whole world feel alive.

That is my problem with recent Nintendo games. Back when they were on carts it was understandable but when they went to gamecube I thought it would change. It didn't. Price of Percia had voice acting but the audio was so compressed it sounded like he was talking in a soup can. Metroid 2 REALLY turned me off with the cutscenes as it has SLIDESHOWS or short animations with scrolling text and dated MIDI music.

In Zelda the problem is since the characters are silent they take on a book feeling and come off lifeless. Link to me is nothing but a 3D dead inside animated character in a rather quite world where in games with great cutscenes and voice acting I connect with them on a level where I actually care about them and this world they live in.

The ironic thing is in Zelda I has sat through more cutscenes than four 360/PS3 games combined. To make it even worse they require reading and button mashing so you can't just skip it or get up to get something to drink.

Also remember how when Conkers came out for the N64 Nintendo fanboys and Rare all bragged that it had X number of lines of voice acting which everyone went ga ga over. It was justified as it brought a lot into the character. What ever happened cuz Nintendo fans sure liked it then?
AMEN! Very well said!

Here I thought I was gonna be alone on this one!

Calimus
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 2, 2007, 03:15 PM

Actually you can skip almost all the cut scenes in zelda TP if you hit the "-" button. I agree that well done voice overs could have added a lot.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2007, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Calimus View Post
Actually you can skip almost all the cut scenes in zelda TP if you hit the "-" button. I agree that well done voice overs could have added a lot.
True, but many don't allow you and even more frustrating after playing for 35 hours when I pick up ruby it randomly jumps into those mini cutscenes saying "You got 5 rubies". Well no ****, I think I figured that out by now.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2007, 05:42 PM

True, but many don't allow you and even more frustrating after playing for 35 hours when I pick up ruby it randomly jumps into those mini cutscenes saying "You got 5 rubies". Well no ****, I think I figured that out by now.
That's honestly my only complaint about the game. Those mini cutscenes piss me off to no end.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 2, 2007, 06:02 PM

Yeah, that seems almost like a bug. Surely it's only supposed to happen the first time you get one -- not the first time every play session.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2007, 06:13 PM

Yeah, that seems almost like a bug. Surely it's only supposed to happen the first time you get one -- not the first time every play session.
So again, can Wii games be patched with a download or are we screwed?

If it is a bug though I hate to think how it could have passed any sort of bug testing.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2007, 06:23 PM

I haven't heard anything about it. In all likelihood, they can be patched with a download, but they'd have to be designed with patching in mind.
Chuck
___

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2007, 06:57 PM

If I want to read a story I'll pick up a book, thanks.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2007, 07:16 PM

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2007, 07:38 PM

To be honest, I think voice acting would have made that awesomely creepy cutscene around the third dungeon a lot less cool. Just imagining the lines read, a voice would have been too cheesy. But I mean, I read a lot anyway, so maybe I'm just more in that frame of mind.
Chuck
___

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2007, 07:57 PM

Thats what i liked about the two Zelda games i've played...they seem like story books come alive. And i definately agree that everytime u pick up a 5,10,20,etc... rupee that animation started to annoy me cause i was expecting something more significant. But yeah....it felt like a story book come alive and i loved the experience. having voice acting in Zelda...im still uncomfortable with....

And yeah Conquer's bad fur day's voice acting was awesome. i reckon they aught to leave Zelda and Mario without voice acting, tho. simply because these 2 franchizes are so closely tied with the comany, and if its not done right they'd be screwed.

nerd
Senior User
Jan 4, 2007, 11:16 PM

I've searched all over on the Nintendo forums, Google, etc. I just got my Wii yesterday and we're playing SMB. When ever I run with Mario fast there is some random tearing/glitching in the video. Have any of you guys seen this with Super Mario Brothers on your Wii?

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jan 5, 2007, 12:47 AM

If it is a bug though I hate to think how it could have passed any sort of bug testing.
If the Wii had a DVD-burner, maybe they could be patched. VC games probably can be, but I doubt disk games.

I think the whole "you found a blue rupee" crap stems from Nintendo's idiot-proofing of their stuff. Just to remind you, just in case you haven't played countless Zelda games already.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 5, 2007, 01:16 AM

Why would you need a DVD burner? All you need is the capability for the software to look in the Wii's flash memory for update info, similar to how update info is stored on the Xbox 360's hard disk or memory unit.

I don't know if the Wii can do it though, and in fact I doubt it, at least for Zelda. (And no, I don't actually think the rupee behavior is a bug, even though it seems like it. More like a terrible design decision.)

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2007, 07:23 AM

(And no, I don't actually think the rupee behavior is a bug, even though it seems like it. More like a terrible design decision.)
I'm inclined to agree, if only because there is no way this got past QA. The cannon-room glitch is an edge case, but this one affects every single person who plays the game in more than one sitting (i.e. all of them). Someone found this in QA and reported it, and they came back saying this this was how they wanted it to work.

Why the hell they wanted it to work that way is anyone's guess. It's quite possibly the most annoying aspect of the game. I'm just saying that it has to have happened.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 12:40 PM

WYLFWT.com Pop Culture - Nintendo Wii SD 1 GB Memory

Great, so big SD cards are useless. I ran into all the problems this story mentions PLUS he fails to mention that you can't even back up your Mii.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 02:11 PM

Is this true?

Does that put it below the Xbox 1 for the most part?
IGN: XBox Specs

zerostar
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2007, 02:21 PM

Very little is known about the broadway or the hollywood GPU. I would think its speed for speed above the Xbox, especially at 90 nm.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2007, 02:22 PM

84 pages into this thread alone (not counting the other console threads), and you're still harping on the graphical prowess of the Wii (or lack thereof)?

I wish I had Kevin's beating a dead horse graphic on hand.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by zerostar View Post
Very little is known about the broadway or the hollywood GPU. I would think its speed for speed above the Xbox, especially at 90 nm.
And yet no HD. Puzzling.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
84 pages into this thread alone (not counting the other console threads), and you're still harping on the graphical prowess of the Wii (or lack thereof)?
It can end when someone answers why the PS2 and Xbox1 are less powerful yet kill it graphically and audibly.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2007, 02:32 PM

It can end when someone answers why the PS2 and Xbox1 are less powerful yet kill it graphically and audibly.
Killed it?

TP is a Gamecube port (dead horse). The Wii was just released; we still have no idea how the games are going to look. I agree the graphics are disappointing, especially without HD capabilities, but I'm still not going to slam the Wii yet. If it's fun, I won't care. I'm just going to hold off for about a year to see how it turns out (as well as the PS3).

Calimus
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2007, 02:32 PM

Resident Evil 4 was certainly much better graphically on Gamecube than PS2, and Wii is at least 1.5 times as powerful as gamecube, so how would the ps2 "kill" it? Xbox is a much less direct comparison, but many gamecube games looked as good/on par with Xbox, or Wii being 1.5 times as powerful should be better than Xbox.

I think the graphical deficiencies in the first round Wii games are more to do with art style and design choices. Red Steel was pretty, but that seems to be one of the only games trying to have any sort of graphical wow factor. The rest are focused on gameplay.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 02:39 PM

Wii is at least 1.5 times as powerful as gamecube, so how would the ps2 "kill" it?
PS2:
1080i support
Dolby Digital

Wii:
Neither

So right there I answered how it kills it visually audibly.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 5, 2007, 02:41 PM

Red Steel was pretty, but that seems to be one of the only games trying to have any sort of graphical wow factor. The rest are focused on gameplay.
Red Steel? Pretty?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2007, 02:47 PM

I haven't noticed this phenomenon. The PS2 didn't even kill the GameCube graphically except in a few games where devs sacrificed texture quality in order to fit a DVD-sized game on a GameCube-sized disc. For the most part, the PS2 was pretty clearly inferior to the GameCube, and the Wii is more powerful than the GameCube.
Chuck
___

Forum Links
Forum Rules