Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Vista news stories Mention Apples OS X

Vista news stories Mention Apples OS X
Y3a
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2007, 01:26 PM

I'm sure MS Hates to hear all the news stories about Vista coming tomorrow with comparisons to Apples OS X, even claiming it 'sure looks like OSX' in many of them. LOL

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2007, 01:33 PM

Wait till 10.5 and they will really have something to worry about.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2007, 01:49 PM

Apple is in such a prime position to really take a large chunk out of the Windows market share. Vista has been getting bad press months before its even released. If Apple can knock one out of the park with 10.5, I see Apple's market share skyrocketing in the next year or 2.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2007, 01:50 PM

The biggest nerd I know doesn't want to touch Vista with a ten foot pole, nuf said.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2007, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
The biggest nerd I know doesn't want to touch Vista with a ten foot pole, nuf said.
I have a legit copy of Vista Business (through MSDN) and when I tried installing it it gave me a driver error and then wiped my entire FAT32 shared partition that contained my user folder backup (that it wasn't supposed to go near). Yeah. I hate it.

Strupat
Jan 29, 2007, 01:58 PM

Apple shares have been about to skyrocket for as long as I can remember hearing/reading what an Apple fan has to say.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2007, 02:09 PM

I have a friend who's a loyal Windows user that refuses to install Vista on any of his computers until another year. He said he's perfectly content with XP until he feels Vista is secure enough. He started listing all of Vista's shortcomings, and even though I didn't understand it all, I got the point: Vista flat out sucks right now.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2007, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Strupat View Post
Apple shares have been about to skyrocket for as long as I can remember hearing/reading what an Apple fan has to say.
Yep, its right around the corner! Buy buy buy!!

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2007, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I have a friend who's a loyal Windows user that refuses to install Vista on any of his computers until another year. He said he's perfectly content with XP until he feels Vista is secure enough. He started listing all of Vista's shortcomings, and even though I didn't understand it all, I got the point: Vista flat out sucks right now.
That is always the case with windows releases. Heck most people wait 6-8 months to install a service pack because they are scared it will just break something.

Vista won't pick up for a couple of years and even then it will be mostly on newly purchased PC's and not upgrades from XP.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Rumor
Jan 29, 2007, 02:15 PM

Example of an article?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2007, 02:34 PM

The truth of the matter is, the number of people who will upgrade far outweigh the few who wont.
Get ready for the M$ fanboys who will claim it's the next best thing since SWB, and how Vista is so much better than OSX.

IMHO,a "generation" of operating systems ususally lasts 15-ish years (going by MacOS 1 - 9 & Windows 1 - XP). So technically we're halfway through this generation when Microsoft gets to the party.

The advantages that MacOSX has had thus far, that your average Joe can "see" wont be advantages anymore, so Apple has to do something that pushes the envelope further as far as OSs go.

Mr Heliums
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2007, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Example of an article?

One of many:

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?...Y3dnFlZUVFeXk3

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2007, 03:30 PM

I've been using Vista at work since September, and it's not terrible, but I really don't see the greatness that Microsoft is touting. If I was running XP at home, I wouldn't buy Vista. There just isn't anything in Vista that makes me want to upgrade.
Take what I know about 10.5 already, I'd upgrade just for Time Machine. Seeing transparent windows with Vista wouldn't make me upgrade.

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 is slated for release later this year.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2007, 03:36 PM

Ironically, I needed to buy a new PC today, and wanted to get it shipped with Vista. Unfortunately I can't, because it's going to be running a piece of software that has not yet been validated with Vista. So, XP it is.

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Apple is in such a prime position to really take a large chunk out of the Windows market share. Vista has been getting bad press months before its even released. If Apple can knock one out of the park with 10.5, I see Apple's market share skyrocketing in the next year or 2.
Not really, unless Jobs really pushes the business side of OS X starting now.

I sold mine a couple of months ago. AAPL is worth less now than it was then.

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker View Post
That is always the case with windows releases. Heck most people wait 6-8 months to install a service pack because they are scared it will just break something.

Vista won't pick up for a couple of years and even then it will be mostly on newly purchased PC's and not upgrades from XP.
Well, OS X point updates also have a nasty habit of breaking things too. So, at least Windows is in good company here.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2007, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Not really, unless Jobs really pushes the business side of OS X starting now.
Not gonna happen. Jobs/Apple aren't looking to own the business OS market. I didn't say they'd surpass MS's market share, I just said that the Mac market share could vastly increase. Apple is going after the "digital lifestyle" market, including home networking. The business market is too saturated with MS to make any dents in the market share. Apple wants home users to switch before business users. I think that they can make huge improvements here, and its very possible for them to do so.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2007, 04:00 PM

Well, OS X point updates also have a nasty habit of breaking things too. So, at least Windows is in good company here.
The difference is they are more minor, don't kill hardware as much and most Mac users upgrade that day and not wait months on end.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2007, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker View Post
most Mac users upgrade that day and not wait months on end.
Whoa, I definitely wouldn't say most Mac users. Most on this board, maybe. Most average Joes using a Mac? They're usually still running whatever came with the machine. I know plenty still on 10.2 or 10.3, that don't know anything about the newer OS X versions or why they should want them when theirs is running fine.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2007, 04:11 PM

Yeah, some of my colleagues are still running 10.1, because Office v.X runs just fine on it.

I think he was talking about OS X point updates though. That said, XP runs updates all the time, not just in the service packs. Most people never have problems with the background XP updates.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2007, 05:31 PM

Microsoft Norway CEO demonstrates Vista in an interview - on an iMac.

VG TV

Atomic Rooster
Jan 29, 2007, 05:36 PM

Gates says "WOW".

Jobs says "BOOM".

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...29?hub=SciTech

Atomic Rooster
Jan 29, 2007, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post

VG TV

Holy crappers!!! why would a Microsoft guy do that???

I wish I knew what they were saying.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2007, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post

VG TV
haha, pwned

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2007, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post

Holy crappers!!! why would a Microsoft guy do that???

I wish I knew what they were saying.
I think they're saying something like "We couldn't find a PC good enough to run this piece of crap OS, so we just fired up BootCamp."

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2007, 05:53 PM

I think they're saying something like "We couldn't find a PC good enough to run this piece of crap OS, so we just fired up BootCamp."
Even as a joke, that makes no sense whatsoever.

P.S. Apple even advertises that Macs can run Windows.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2007, 05:55 PM

Geez, sorry a joke didn't make sense in the real world.

Lighten up dude.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2007, 05:58 PM

Bill Gates is going to be on the Daily Show with Jon Stewart tonight

Atomic Rooster
Jan 29, 2007, 06:04 PM

So buy a Mac and run Vista. Screw PCs, they don't cut it. This is what this guy from Microsoft is suggesting?

I smell evil happening.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2007, 06:13 PM

Not gonna happen. Jobs/Apple aren't looking to own the business OS market. I didn't say they'd surpass MS's market share, I just said that the Mac market share could vastly increase.
Not all business is big enterprise.

I think we're going to see some small-business related things from Apple, perhaps centered around Mac OS X Server. The 'Teams' rumor pops up every now and then and there's a lot going on in networked apps already.

Many people work from home, or would like to keep things simple between their work and home, so it fits a 'digital lifestyle' in that sense

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2007, 06:17 PM

So buy a Mac and run Vista. Screw PCs, they don't cut it. This is what this guy from Microsoft is suggesting?
Yeah thats what I was suggesting that they were suggesting in my "joke". But some people didn't get it.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2007, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post

Anything would be more secure than XP is. XP's security model is a joke.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2007, 08:02 PM

I don't understand why people talking about 'firing up' bootcamp. As far as I can tell, it's just a partitioner and CD burning app, nothing more. They make it sound like Windows runs 'in bootcamp,' when it's just running on the computer like any other OS.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 29, 2007, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Whoa, I definitely wouldn't say most Mac users. Most on this board, maybe. Most average Joes using a Mac? They're usually still running whatever came with the machine. I know plenty still on 10.2 or 10.3, that don't know anything about the newer OS X versions or why they should want them when theirs is running fine.
30% upgrade when the OS is released. 30% upgrade 3 to 6 months later. The rest wait until they buy a new machine.

These numbers come from a Macworld survey on their subscribership.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2007, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
I don't understand why people talking about 'firing up' bootcamp. As far as I can tell, it's just a partitioner and CD burning app, nothing more. They make it sound like Windows runs 'in bootcamp,' when it's just running on the computer like any other OS.
I believe part of bootcamp is some BIOS compatibility software that runs as part of EFI. So it's kinda correct to say Windows runs in it...
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2007, 08:19 PM

I don't see the problem of using an iMac to showcase Vista. BTW, Jim Allchin is leaving Microsoft.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2007, 08:29 PM

This is hilarious. Period.
Signature depreciated.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2007, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
30% upgrade when the OS is released. 30% upgrade 3 to 6 months later. The rest wait until they buy a new machine.

These numbers come from a Macworld survey on their subscribership.
Okay, so those number apply to people who subscribe to MacWorld, which is...what...5% of Mac users, and probably typically the more knowledgeable ones.

Ganesha
Senior User
Jan 29, 2007, 09:21 PM

Apple stock Toady Jan-27-2007 (85.53)
Apple stock Jan-27-2003 (7.07*) *-adjust for split

5 year return of APPL: 1109.76%
5 year return of the S&P 500: 67.63%

Oh, I did buy APPL in 2003, I'm just kicking myself for only buying then 50 shares.
( Last edited by Ganesha; Jan 29, 2007 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Additiom)

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2007, 09:27 PM

This could lead to more confusion between what exactly Apple is, and why iMacs are different. People will think, wow, my computer can be like that stylish one on TV if I just buy Vista. Not very good IMHO.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2007, 12:02 AM

This letter was issued by IT today where I work:

Many of you have asked if {company} plans to migrate to Windows Vista. Windows Vista (the replacement for Windows XP) is due to be released Tuesday, January 30th.

At this time, the Information Technology department will continue testing Vista for application compatibility and hardware requirements while also evaluating if productivity and security gains warrant migrating to Windows Vista. We expect a long testing cycle, and we do not expect to introduce Windows Vista into the production environment possibly until 2008.

Home Users:

New computers will soon come with Windows Vista installed or with a free upgrade to Windows Vista. If an upgrade is offered, IT suggests that you take advantage of this offer and obtain the free upgrade media and license, but delay installing it until IT has fully tested and supports it.

IT currently recommends that {company} staff not upgrade their home computers to Windows Vista.

System requirements are significantly higher then Windows XP and without a high performance video card and 1-2GB of RAM, your computer will likely suffer from slower performance after upgrading to Windows Vista.

VPN and WebMail have not been fully tested internally. Home users running VPN or using WebMail may have issues after an upgrade to Windows Vista and Information Technology will not be able to offer any assistance.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2007, 12:07 AM

My boss isn't letting our users touch Vista, Office 2007, or even IE 7 yet.

Atomic Rooster
Jan 30, 2007, 12:14 AM

1995 - Windows 95 - Start me up.

2007 - Vista - You can't always get what you want.

Warning to users of Vista - Important to read the fine print.

Vista's legal fine print includes extensive provisions granting Microsoft the right to regularly check the legitimacy of the software and holds the prospect of deleting certain programs without the user's knowledge.

TheStar.com - Business - Vista's legal fine print raises red flags
( Last edited by Atomic Rooster; Jan 30, 2007 at 12:22 AM. )

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2007, 12:19 AM

^"If you really like this stuff, you might as well buy a Mac."

I have been waiting for this for so long.

I'm sorry to everyone out there, but I really have a thing for Windows 95, not a small microscopic chunk of what I have for Mac OS, but I don't mind using it, I still prefer it to everthing else Microsoft has to offer, I love the simplicity, it doesn't really have any special features, (maybe compaired to 3.1) but it is so basic, it still does all of my Windows needs (Doom, etc.) and I love it's dial-up modem, I use it when I have free time to just goof around and play 32 Bit games and mess around with DOS.

( Last edited by Sub; Jan 30, 2007 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Forgot the bit about the modem.)

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2007, 01:33 AM

Gates says "WOW".

Jobs says "BOOM".
That's because Bill is surprised when it works.

Looking at that logo, I'd say it was designed to run on Macs.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2007, 01:38 AM

Love that the drop shadow doesn't match the lighting, too. I somehow ... expected that.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2007, 02:05 AM

Mmm...pixelated...

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Jan 30, 2007, 02:07 AM

From an AP story:

Mike Johnson, 29, of nearby Rolesville, N.C., bought a laptop computer with the new software preinstalled.

"The biggest reason for me is the new interface. It looks so much better than XP," he said. "Apple computers have had nice graphical interfaces for some time. But it's the first time Windows has even approached that level."
He's not even saying that Vista is as good as OS X. It's just approaching it. Enjoy that laptop Mike...

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2007, 02:58 AM

The whole Vista/Longhorn thing has reminded me of the Emperor's New Clothes children's story. The crap coming out of Redmond is increasingly less interesting, increasingly less innovative, and the "coolest" things about the OS are the things ripped-off lock, stock, and barrel from other people (Apple notably, but others too).

Installed base and pre-loaded hardware will make Vista the most prolific OS in the world in short order ... but the thing that so painful about MS is that through "Activation", OS legitimacy checks to Zune and its nasty habit of wrapping its DRM around any music ... even that which you paid cash for at a brick-and-mortar store, the message sent over and over by MS is that the most important interaction between you and them is that you paid them the g#dd@amn money. Everything else, from horrible security, to disabling your machine, to lame and lazy updates that come too little too late screams that user satisfaction, user enjoyment, user convenience, and user security are all less important that making d@mn sure they got their cash. All businesses including Apple are in it for the money though MS has a strikingly tactless approach to making sure every interaction you have with them throws that in your face FIRST ... before any other consideration. Basically, most companies will at least kiss you after they f#ck you ... MS makes sure you know your the whore in the relationship.

himself
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2007, 03:30 AM

Mmm...pixelated...
...has more of a dithered flavor, if you ask me.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2007, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by kcmac View Post
TAt this time, the Information Technology department will continue testing Vista for application compatibility and hardware requirements while also evaluating if productivity and security gains warrant migrating to Windows Vista. We expect a long testing cycle, and we do not expect to introduce Windows Vista into the production environment possibly until 2008.
You can bet 90% of large business's will do exactly the same.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2007, 01:13 PM

Oh GOD! Sorry sorry sorry sorry! Enough nitpicking at my poor attempt at humor. Move on!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules