Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Most "Successful" Goof

Most "Successful" Goof
ghporter
Administrator
Aug 6, 2008, 09:29 PM

After telling the story of how I met my wife the other day (yet again), I realized that this was my most successful goof ever. Maybe the most successful goof of all time! Here's the story:

I was a very junior Airman, walking to my dorm after work, and a squirrel dashing across the dorm's lawn with his mouth stuffed with acorns stopped about five feet in front of me, unsure whether to go on across my path. I looked down at him and said "Don't worry, I don't eat squirrels." He sort of looked around a bit then scooted right past me. At that point, I hear a female voice say "Do you talk to squirrels often?" There was a very attractive young lady, also an Airman, standing about ten feet behind me, and she'd obviously seen the whole thing. Boy was I embarrassed! But it started a conversation, which led to dinner, and so on, and a bit less than a year later we were married. A pretty successful goof, huh?

Anyone else have any "successful goofs" to share?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2008, 09:54 PM

It's a good thing you didn't say something like "I really like your nuts" to the squirrel or something...

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2008, 09:59 PM

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2008, 10:57 PM

When I first started school I fell in like with a gal. We hung out. I gave her a ride to her car. I dropped her off and drove through the parking lot to leave where she hit me in the passenger door. We hung out a week later, made out a few times, and at some point the interest waned and it ended.

Not really a goof on my part, but kinda similar.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2008, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I was a very junior Airman, walking to my dorm after work, and a squirrel dashing across the dorm's lawn with his mouth stuffed with acorns stopped about five feet in front of me, unsure whether to go on across my path. I looked down at him and said "Don't worry, I don't eat squirrels." He sort of looked around a bit then scooted right past me. At that point, I hear a female voice say "Do you talk to squirrels often?" There was a very attractive young lady, also an Airman, standing about ten feet behind me, and she'd obviously seen the whole thing. Boy was I embarrassed! But it started a conversation, which led to dinner, and so on, and a bit less than a year later we were married. A pretty successful goof, huh?
Great story.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2008, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
After telling the story of how I met my wife the other day (yet again), I realized that this was my most successful goof ever. Maybe the most successful goof of all time! Here's the story:

{huge font}Score!{/huge font}
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2008, 08:37 AM

My friend, who worked at a health club, was telling me about these two girls that come to the gym. They were twins and very cute but he was involved with someone. He also had a friend Lisa that worked out at the same gym and tried to set me up with her. She worked out on Mondays so I played hookey from school (college) and spent time waiting for this chick to show up, but never did. In the meantime, one of the twins and her friend Jenny showed up so the four of us got to talking and we went out to eat afterwards.

The way it worked was I was going to go out with Jenny and my friend would go out with one of the twins. The thing is, I didn't really like Jenny, and my friend was tied up with his girl, so I asked him for the number of the twin. He gave it to me. That was 20 years ago and we now have two kids

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

calverson
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2008, 08:45 AM

Don't know if this fits the bill but...

A few years back I was travelling on a bus, and I noticed that a very cute girl was sitting in front of me. Now, being 17 or however old I was I definitely want to get this girls number, but was completely sober and had no idea how to go about doing this on a bus, especially since the conversation would be heard by the rest of the travellers.

A friend of mine SMS'ed me and asked me what I was doing. I explained the scenario, and he said that he would SMS me in a few minutes, and I was to give the phone to the girl.

While I was pretty nervous about doing this (I had no idea of telling what he would say to this chick), when the message came through, I tapped the girl on the shoulder and handed her the phone.

She flipped it open, read the message, smiled, and said "what do you want to know".

So I spoke to her and we actaully landed up dating for a few months.

The funny part is the message that she read, which was:

"To the girl sitting in the back of the bus. The man that handed you this phone is a secret agent from the CIA. The fate of the Earth is in danger, and you must answer any question that he has."

I only looked at this after she had left. Good thing she had a sense of humor.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2008, 10:14 AM

Glenn, in honor of your story let me share a plane related story.

After high school I went to Israel for a year to study and volunteer. The only people I knew on my program were 2 other guys from Chicago. My seat was all the way in the back of the plane (seat 59J to give you an idea) and since I got on early I was sitting in the aisle seat watching people come on even though my seat was the window seat next to it. As the plane filled up a nice young woman comes up to me and says "you're in my seat" and so I move over to my seat of course. After introducing myself and having an awkward 12 hour flight we became friendly and starting dating within a couple weeks.

Jump ahead a few years to after Israel and after college in different states and now we are happily married.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2008, 11:15 AM

Possibly NSFW.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 7, 2008, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I was living with my buddy Matt. We had been going out for a couple weeks, but hadn't slept together yet
You should be a bit more careful with your pronoun usage.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2008, 11:32 AM

Meh, makes sense to me. If you want to envision roommate buttsecks go right ahead.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 7, 2008, 12:08 PM

Well, it's potential roommate buttsecks, since it hasn't happened yet.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2008, 12:10 PM

It's the suspense that enhances it.

Mr_E
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2008, 12:24 PM

While stationed in Hawaii (back in my Navy days in the 80s), there was a guy who worked for me that we all called Sting.
(it seems everyone in the military usually has a nickname)

One day Sting comes back to the ship and tells me I have to go out with him and these ladies he met in town.

I wasn't particularly interested, as I was dating a bartender at the time, but she was working until 1AM that night so I figured I'd go along for the hell of it.

We met these young ladies at their hotel. Immediately upon entering, this little red haired girl in huge "Harry Potter" glasses shoves a beer in my face stating "Taste this! It tastes like dishwater, doesn't it?"

She was kinda cute, but I politely declined (meaning I said "No thanks" but was thinking "Get the hell away from me.") and told Sting that once we hit a bar or two with them, I'd be off to hang out at the pub my GF was working in.

So that's how it went.

A few months later, I met who would later become my wife. Also via Sting.

She's a cute red-head with glasses. (non-"Potter" glasses.)

After 13 years, and due to our chatting one evening about Hawaii (my boss had just went on vacation there, prompting the discussion) - I finally realized my wife was "dishwater beer girl".

I had never made the connection in all that time.

We find it funny now, as she likes to remind me "You were kind of a jerk the first time I met you, but I heard you were involved so I figured that was why..".

This "little girl" also turned out to be four years older than me.

Good thing she got a decent pair of glasses in the mean time, I guess.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2008, 06:27 PM

is that really a goof?

wouldn't a goof be something like driving the wrong way down a one way street?

Forum Links
Forum Rules