Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Apple behind MS

Apple behind MS
Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 13, 2005, 12:00 PM

I just read the following from Sci-Tech Today.

http://www.sci-tech-today.com/news/E...d=031003GLNCWW

"Apple has been out-Microsofting Microsoft," said Jared Spool, principal of User Interface Engineering. "Whenever Microsoft announces some new feature, Apple seems to produce it the next day. That's what you're going to see for a little while as each tries to hold GUI supremacy."

However, I think he got it wrong. It has been very rare were MS has come up with something that Apple will copy.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2005, 01:40 PM

A bold statement without facts or examples to back it up..

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Aug 13, 2005, 02:26 PM

Sci-Tech Today desperate for hits. Don't give 'em the satisfaction.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2005, 03:55 PM

If Apple was able to produce something "the next day" after MS announced it, then they must have been working on it long before MS announced it...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2005, 05:39 PM

Not only Apple is doing it, 3rd party developers are also coming with that copycat game, as read in another topic
( Last edited by angelmb; Aug 13, 2005 at 05:40 PM. Reason: to let people know I was kidding)

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2005, 04:14 AM

Think he's talking about spotlight. Which has been in the works for a while. That said Apple knew about WinFS for a while. And they're already been working at improving search in the finder since like what... Jaguar?

kcmac
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2005, 10:12 AM

When MS actually produces Longhorn/Vista THEN these types of threads will be interesting. As it stands, this is just a big waste of bandwidth. And sadly enough, I helped contribute to it.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 14, 2005, 12:21 PM

Apple has been working on Search since the Copland days.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2005, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by aristotles
Apple has been working on Search since the Copland days.
Yep, spot on.

Apple's technology group's content search technology was code-named "V-Twin" and was first released to developers as "Apple Information Access Toolkit (AIAT)" in 1997 and first demonstrated publically at MacWorld Expo 1998 as part of the MacOS 8.5 demo (Find By Content was built upon AIAT).

Amazingly, the AIAT page at apple.com still lives on, though most of the links on the page are broken (see the page for the official icon for Cyberdog). Looks like the dev group needs to clean up their web servers.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2005, 12:53 PM

I think Apple's been trying to pull off a good search since Sherlock. Did anyone like Sherlock? I hated sherlock. That thing was dang slow.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2005, 04:35 PM

I didn't like Sherlock either. Also, wasn't WinFS scrapped due to time constraints? Or am I confusing that entirely with something else?
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2005, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Anubis IV
I didn't like Sherlock either. Also, wasn't WinFS scrapped due to time constraints? Or am I confusing that entirely with something else?
From what I've understood they kept saying WinFS has been coming then scraped, coming then scraped ever since NT started.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2005, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Back up 15 and punt
I just read the following from Sci-Tech Today.

http://www.sci-tech-today.com/news/E...d=031003GLNCWW

"Apple has been out-Microsofting Microsoft," said Jared Spool, principal of User Interface Engineering. "Whenever Microsoft announces some new feature, Apple seems to produce it the next day. That's what you're going to see for a little while as each tries to hold GUI supremacy."

However, I think he got it wrong. It has been very rare were MS has come up with something that Apple will copy.
I think what it means is that Microsoft "announces" all these great features. But Mac actually has them by the time Microsoft is thinking about it.

Apple has always been ahead of the curve in innovation. Microsoft is not an innovative company. Their history is replete with times when Bill Gates has had to throw the monopoly power of Windows into crushing some small rival who did something MS wasn't even thinking about.

Windows Vista offers very little that Tiger isn't already doing...actually, not "very little." Is there anything that Vista will have to lord of Tiger at all? All I've heard about is that your windows will act like little many apps for multimedia. This, though, sounds like a non-feature to me. For those of us with robust libraries of these things, you really need the management tools of an app like iTunes or iPhoto. In fact, my iPhoto library is getting so big that it's unwieldy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules