Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Put your dock on the side-it's much better!

Put your dock on the side-it's much better!
mediahound
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2005, 10:00 AM

putting your dock on the side like this;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mediahound/45576417/

is better since monitors are more wide than they are tall. so you have less space to spare for the Dock on the bottom than you do on the side. Doing this gives you more space for document and browser windows and less scrolling you have to do.

just my opinion but it works well!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2005, 10:05 AM

I have it on the right side on my iBook and on the bottom at my desktop computer with Cinema Display (even though the screen is wider there I like the Dock at the bottom more). So there is no single "better" way. It depends.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2005, 10:11 AM

agreed.

Always have had my dock on the side.
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Jens Peter
Senior User
Sep 22, 2005, 10:13 AM

i have had my dock on the right for a couple of years... Since 10.2 I think. I like it that way, but I know many that can't use their macs unless the dock are at the buttom of the screen.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2005, 10:24 AM

I like the Dock on the right as well. I just wish the Finder would know enough not to stick icons under it.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2005, 10:27 AM

I keep the dock at the very left-hand side of the bottom, but I have it set to hide when not in use. Love the extra screen space, even on a PB17.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2005, 11:42 AM

I have it set to the left on every Mac I use.

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 22, 2005, 12:07 PM

right side and pinned at the bottom.

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

OreoCookie
Sep 22, 2005, 12:31 PM

I have it on the bottom. Tried it on both sides a few times, but didn't like it.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2005, 01:31 PM

I prefer the Dock on the bottom, because to get any perceived space-saving benefits of placing it on the side of my Powerbook screen, I'd have to make it so small that it would lose some functionality for me. Or I'd have to turn on the magnification feature, which I dislike.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2005, 01:31 PM

I've had mine on the right for a couple years now. I prefer it there.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

paul w
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2005, 02:35 PM

I've tried it on the left, the right, but it always seemed to get in the way of other stuff like tools and palette menus and such.

The bottom the best solution for me (plus it allows for a longer dock).

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2005, 02:53 PM

i always had mine on the right...until recently.
find it's better (on my 12" pb, anyway), for apps like logic, which benefit from a wider screen.

the dock's a nuisance, a waste of screen real estate. still...i like it...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

leperkuhn
Senior User
Sep 22, 2005, 04:15 PM

I had it on the bottom since the public beta. I just moved it to the left and I'm loving it.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2005, 04:22 PM

MIne is on the right, pinned at the bottom.

jam8
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2005, 04:31 PM

My question is, if you set your dock to "hide" when not in use, then what difference does it make in its location in terms of screen space?

I keep mine on the bottom, hidden! It's perfect that way.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 22, 2005, 04:43 PM

Like many here, I've had the dock on the right side also...pretty much since 10.1. I'm still one of the few unlucky people with a small 17" CRT running at a sad, sad 1024x867...vertical space is very precious to me. I'm also unlikely to accidently hit icons on the right side of the screen considering a lot of the action happens on the left and middle (menus in the top left of the menubar and windows opening on the left side).

I'm gonna tolerate this crappy set up for another year and a half I guess...waiting patiently for the Macintels and prices on large, widescreen LCDs to dip even lower.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2005, 05:30 PM

I have it on the bottom, hidden, on a 12" PB. I never could really get used to having it on the side, althogh it does save screen real estate.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2005, 06:14 PM

I have one on the bottom, one on the left, and a process dock (running apps only) on the right. DragThing is cool that way.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

jay3ld
Senior User
Sep 22, 2005, 08:28 PM

bottom-right and i got it set to small as possible though plist file...

kcmac
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2005, 08:36 PM

Bottom and hidden.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 22, 2005, 08:59 PM

Right-middle works great, particularly when using Word and similar apps; when the window is maximized (and the Dock is set to be fairly small) we still have plenty of space to see what's behind the foreground window.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2005, 09:07 PM

Mine's set at the bottom, pinned to the left. I think that's the most UI appropriate. It grows only in one direction, and commonly used icons stay in one spot for Muscle memory.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

kcmac
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2005, 09:22 PM

How do you pin it to the left on the bottom?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2005, 09:38 PM

Left/bottom here since the 10.0 days. I'd have preferred to have it right/bottom, but unfortunately desktop icons don't respect the Dock and so it ends up obscuring the icons and/or their names.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

teszeract
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2005, 12:30 AM

I like to move my dock around. Sometimes on the left, sometimes at the bottom. Sometimes on the right. You never know where its going to be next.

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 23, 2005, 12:39 AM

User name theft!

My dock is on the right, hidden, with magnification on. It's not pinned.
I tried it on the left, but as a right-hander it's more natural for me to swing the mouse to the right to reveal the Dock. And I have to look down to see it if it's at the bottom, whereas I don't have to move my eyes as much to see it on the side.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2005, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by kcmac
Grab a copy of the freeware TinkerTool and choose "bottom, start position" in the dock options. Of course this can be done with the terminal as well but if there is a freeware gui app that works well why bother. TinkerTool does all sorts of other cool stuff too and is definitely worth the download.

I keep mine on the left in the top position on my desktop with 2 monitors. On my laptop, I keep it on the right pinned to the bottom.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 23, 2005, 12:44 AM

I'm into that whole balance thing, so I keep my dock on the bottom.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

mindwaves
Sep 23, 2005, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
I like the Dock on the right as well. I just wish the Finder would know enough not to stick icons under it.
My thoughts exactly.

Sage
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2005, 01:11 AM

Ditto – I keep it pinned on the right. In fact, I keep most of my windows left-aligned, not fullscreen, so that I can monitor my desktop and background processes (for example, I put my Safari Downloads window and my Mail Activity Viewer in the “gap” between my windows and the Dock). Works great.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 23, 2005, 01:23 AM

I keep mine on the bottom for three reasons:

1. There's more room for icons before it starts scaling them.

2. I need screen width more than I need screen height. The more uncluttered width I have, the more documents I can put beside each other. Reducing my screen's effective width by putting the Dock on the side wouldn't do.

3. Aesthetically, I like the balance of a Dock in the center and no icons on the desktop.

teszeract
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2005, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Tesseract
User name theft!

Me here first bub. Saw u quite a while back, then thunk to myself, and that's why the spelling is really important. I found my tesseract in Heinlein's story . You?

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2005, 03:22 AM

I keep mine hidden and on the bottom for a few minor reasons.

1) I'm comfortable with it already. That's key.

2) At one point, putting it on the side would have meant SMALL icons, and that would've been annoying since I don't like magnification any more.

3) The whole notion of a bouncing icon makes little sense when it's on the side (though, I've turned bouncing off, but still, the notion that it should be bouncing remains).

4) I tend to use all of my corners and sides for various things, and as it has worked out, it's very comfortable to keep it on the bottom since I have DragThing docks on the right side and hot corners that activate the screen saver and Exposé on everything but the bottom right. Putting the Dock on the left side, which would be my first choice after the bottom, would mean that I'd have to be more careful with the mouse since I might land on a corner and do something.

So yeah, I don't think my choice of placement is superior or anything (as I might with some of my other conventions), but it works well for me.
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2005, 05:23 AM

I find the left works best for me - that way it keeps out of the way of Finder icons and scroll bars...

Zadian
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2005, 05:49 AM

I have my most important folders on the right side of the screen since System 7.5. With Mac OS X 10.0 those folders moved into the Dock and it was a logical step to move the Dock to the right.
Since Mac OS X 10.0 i have the Dock on the right and pinned to the top (start).
For me it's the ideal position for the Dock.

As i use the Desktop only for temporary items nothing gets hidden below the Dock. I don't let the Volumes mount on the Desktop, this way the right side of the screen isn't already occupied with things.

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 23, 2005, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by teszeract
Me here first bub. Saw u quite a while back, then thunk to myself, and that's why the spelling is really important. I found my tesseract in Heinlein's story . You?
I was thinking of L'Engle's version, actually.
And April comes before October, I think.

No harm done though. Just don't put the screensaver icon in your sig!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2005, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
I'd like to second that opinion!

bbales
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2005, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!!
Like many here, I've had the dock on the right side also...pretty much since 10.1. I'm still one of the few unlucky people with a small 17" CRT running at a sad, sad 1024x867...vertical space is very precious to me. I'm also unlikely to accidently hit icons on the right side of the screen considering a lot of the action happens on the left and middle (menus in the top left of the menubar and windows opening on the left side).

I, too, still have a 17-inch CRT (but I don't know the resolution). Always had the dock on the right because, if I recall correctly from years ago, web pages got in the way of the dock being on the left.

I just started doing my daughter's school newsletter, and after fighting through open pallettes and toolbars and the like for the past week, I'm ready to throw out the CRT and invest in a nice, big flat panel. Unfortunately, my wallet doesn't agree. The CRT is nearly 5 years old (an Apple studio display) and it's hard to justify just dukmping it when it still works. But boy, do I want something else...

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2005, 09:44 AM

In the terminal:

defaults write com.apple.Dock pinning start

Then kill the dock and it'll start up again. It's really an improvement in the functionality IMO. I think they ought to include it outright. As Mr. Blur said, it's possible with Tinkertool. But where's the fun in that?
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

kcmac
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2005, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor
In the terminal:

defaults write com.apple.Dock pinning start

Then kill the dock and it'll start up again. It's really an improvement in the functionality IMO. I think they ought to include it outright. As Mr. Blur said, it's possible with Tinkertool. But where's the fun in that?
Thanks. If I end up not liking this, how do I revert back?

kcmac
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2005, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Anubis IV
I keep mine hidden and on the bottom for a few minor reasons.

4) I tend to use all of my corners and sides for various things, and as it has worked out, it's very comfortable to keep it on the bottom since I have DragThing docks on the right side and hot corners that activate the screen saver and Exposé on everything but the bottom right. Putting the Dock on the left side, which would be my first choice after the bottom, would mean that I'd have to be more careful with the mouse since I might land on a corner and do something.
That's why I like the bottom, hidden as well. I make my dock small enough so that it doesn't get in the way of the corners. Keep magnification on.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2005, 04:24 PM

Mine has been on the side for four years now. Yep.

osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2005, 04:58 PM

My dock's a bottom-dweller. I've tried it on the sides but I don't like it. One reason is the desktop icons being there but mainly because I find it easier to move my mouse left and right than up and down so I find I can move through the icons quicker.

It's also to do with the balance thing. It matches well with the menu bar at the top. On the side, it just feels like it's in the wrong place. I wonder if the preference has got anything to do with the type of person you are e.g. if you are more artistic or more technically minded.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 23, 2005, 05:13 PM

I have my dock also to the right, very small icons, only 1/4 inch wide, which also allows me to park almost 50 items there. To me having it there seems intuitive because I reach more easily for things to the right with arm and hand, so mousing right just follows easier than left or bottom. The latter is to me incredibibly annoying, it always get in my field of vision when reading or working in full screen docs. But I agree with the folks who like it balanced, which is why I don't pin it to the bottom, I like it floating centered.

pliny
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2005, 05:49 PM

I used to have my dock on the right side but now consider myself more of a dock on the bottom type person. From time to time I think wistfully about those dock on the right days.

I would NEVER put my dock on the left. That is sick.
i look in your general direction

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2005, 06:10 PM

Thanks. If I end up not liking this, how do I revert back?
Same string, different ending

defaults write com.apple.Dock pinning middle
kill it.

It should work fine.
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2005, 10:43 PM

i usually have it on the bottom but i think i am going try it on the right for awhile

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2005, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock
I keep mine on the bottom for three reasons:

1. There's more room for icons before it starts scaling them.

3. Aesthetically, I like the balance of a Dock in the center and no icons on the desktop.
Exactly my thinking.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2005, 06:56 AM

Left.

Thats where grownups have it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules