Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > problems installing OmniPage SE

problems installing OmniPage SE
bbales
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2005, 12:36 PM

I purchased a Canon scanner quite some time ago. I recently had occasion to try to use the OCR software that came with it, which is OmniPage SE. It won't open, giving me a "possibly corrupt" message. No problem, I thought, I'll just reinstall the software.

But I can't. I'm getting a message, toward the end of the installation, that the "operation could not be completed because of a system error (-61).

According to Apple, that's a "write permissions error; not a publisher." First of all, Apple says that system error is for OS9 and I'm using X (10.3.7, to be precise). And I have no idea what "not a publisher" even means. I have repaired permissions, by the way, and it's still a no go.

Anyone have a similar problem or a solution? Barring that, what's a good OCR software for Panther? I know scanning is kind of a dark hole for Mac, which is frustrating in an of itself. The software I'm trying to install has "read me" notes from 2002. And I couldn't find an upgraded driver on the ScanSoft web site, b/c they don't appear to acknowledge the OmniPage SE software.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2005, 12:52 AM

I've been having similar probs.. I think it's (SE)is only for OS 9. Blech... We could upgrade to Omnipage Pro X which is for OS X but it's $149!!! And I'm not even 100% sure it will upgrade the SE to X as it doesn't show on the website what the upgrade upgrades from... Anyone with any ideas?

Omni Page Pro X
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

ronb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2005, 08:45 AM

I too have a Canon Scanner and received the system error message. Tried to find problem at Scansoft site and see that they do not even recognize the existence of Omnipage SE. They clearly are focussed on getting you to purchase Omnipage Pro. Sad that there is not another OCR program for the Mac that is reasonably priced.

ronb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2005, 04:15 PM

Further to my earlier message, I got Omnipage SE to work but only by starting in OS 9. This is not what is promised in the literature, but it does work that time consuming way.

bbales  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2005, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by ronb
Further to my earlier message, I got Omnipage SE to work but only by starting in OS 9. This is not what is promised in the literature, but it does work that time consuming way.

Well, here's an older thread resurrected! In my case, it turns out I had I still had VueScan on my computer (had purchased it probably close to 3 years ago), and simply upgraded. At that time (April) they'd added OCR and it worked for what I needed. I BELIEVE that subsequently, further upgrades to VueScan cost money, so be careful.

I can still boot my desktop into OS9 -- never thought of that solution. And while I still can, many others cannot, so that's not the greatest solution, either. The thing is, the pro version is well over $100, I believe, and I simply don't need OCR often enough to justify that kind of cash. It's very irritating to have it not be able to be installed, since Canon is sitting there selling scanners at the apple store itself. I like Canon -- have a camera and a printer that I love -- but that stinks.

nebulousforce
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2008, 10:43 PM

I bought a Canon scanner LiDE 600F and I too had problems with the pack in software OmniPage SE. I'm using a MacBook running Leopard. I managed to get OP SE loaded and running but man was it clunky & buggy! It crashed before I managed to get anything done to my document so I took the PDF scan I made and done my editing using Pixelmator. I do wonder if there's something that'll run under X11 that can be a decent substitute for those other overly expensive Pro editions and better than the pack in trash? I'll post a suggestion with the guys at Pixelmator for them to incorporate that feature in a future update or release since they would go hand in hand. It's worth a shot anyways!

nebulousforce
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2008, 10:53 PM

I just found this but I haven't tried it yet. You do need X11 & Fink commander installed but what the heck if it works then give it a go! Welcome to GNU TeXmacs (FSF GNU project)

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2008, 10:21 PM

Adobe Acrobat 8 Pro has pretty good OCR in it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules