Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12 inch 1Ghz PB. . .

12 inch 1Ghz PB. . .
kagebird
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2003, 03:20 PM

sorry folks. i know you all hate this type of question. but here it goes anyway.

when do you think a 12 inch 1gig powerbook will be introduced?

thanks. . .

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2003, 04:02 PM

Not soon. I'm expecting a bump to the 12-inch PowerBook in late summer/early fall. But who knows, Apple might surprise us again.

After playing with a 12-inch PowerBook at the local Apple Store, I've decided to keep using my iBook/500. First, I don't really have the money to spend on a new PowerBook. Second, I really would like to get a 1Ghz processor, 1GB max RAM, and DVI out. If you're in the market for a new laptop (i.e. need one because you don't already have one), however, there's no good reason to wait.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

kagebird  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2003, 04:14 PM

escher

thanks for the reply. that's about the time frame i thought too. i also want to wait for a 1Ghz processor. it's bound to happen at some point. here's hoping it's sooner. . .

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2003, 04:35 PM

My guess is that 933 is the next step before 1GHz.

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2003, 05:39 PM

It won't happen until they have a new chip to stick in the Powerbooks. Clocking the chips faster would mean a heat increase which the small case I doubt would handle very well. Apple would need to be able to clock to 1GHz with the same dissapation as they have with the 867MHz chips which means lower core voltage which requires a smaller trace width. I really doubt we'll see anything like that until summer at the very least if not next fall. Apple's processor situation isn't quite as cut and dry as some people would have you believe.

I don't really think the extra 133MHz is going to make too much of a difference in a majority of cases. What might make a bigger difference is using 166MHz memory as opposed to the 133MHz memory used on the 867 right now. Even though the current G4 doesn't support the double data rate it does get a bandwidth boost from the increase frontside bus speed. Increasing the bus speed to 166MHz would make for a 25% increase in memory bandwidth to the processor, this is a lot more important than the processor running faster. A fast processor on a slow bus doesn't do anyone any good.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 23, 2003, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by escher:

After playing with a 12-inch PowerBook at the local Apple Store, I've decided to keep using my iBook/500.
What was it that changed your mind after seeing one in person? You knew the specs all along, after all.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2003, 11:45 PM

Sigh... yeah unfortunately I'm expecting a 2 month after I buy release date... I'll be buying for school so I think there's a good chance they'll only drop in price after Mac Wolrd NY... well a price drop would be great and all but yeah... withthe way things have been going with apple IE the iMacs they're leaving their machines out for more than 6 months due to proccessor shortages... then again possibly the iBooks will wait till Mac World NY and then the year of the notebook will continue with 1Ghz CPUs... I hope... I'll buy one either way... but i dono.. it would be cool to see all Apple's notebooks at at least 1Ghz. Weather they be G3 or G4. Heck a 1Ghz G3 would be freakin sweet!
I'd really like to see apple go nuts on inovating notebooks this year, IE into the eBook... dout it'll happen though, but they could always make eBook 800 -900Mhz G3, iBook 1Ghz G3, 12 inch PowerBook 1Ghz G4... and then up the rest of the power book family to the max. I think the power books might even have the same speed proccessors as the desktop once faster ones come out... who knows though...
Sigh... I hate motorola.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2003, 12:23 AM

Buy what you need now. There are no upcoming announcements in the 12-inch PowerBook arena. If you must have something faster, I hope you are willing to wait six months for an update.

msykes
Senior User
Jan 24, 2003, 04:05 AM

After playing with a 12-inch PowerBook at the local Apple Store, I've decided to keep using my iBook/500. First, I don't really have the money to spend on a new PowerBook. Second, I really would like to get a 1Ghz processor, 1GB max RAM, and DVI out. If you're in the market for a new laptop (i.e. need one because you don't already have one), however, there's no good reason to wait.
Well if you are waiting for DVI and 1GB RAM max on the 12" model, I suspect you will be waiting a long time. The ram max could be bumped by soldering on a bigger chip onto the motherboard, but DVI would require more work. A bit of a case change - I think someone pointed out that there just isn't room for a DVI out on the case, much the same as in the iBooks (could be wrong though).

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 24, 2003, 10:43 AM

Not soon. I'm expecting a bump to the 12-inch PowerBook in late summer/early fall. But who knows, Apple might surprise us again.

Escher
you hit the nail right on the head. I'd get one, but I'm not going to get a 12' powerbook without DVI out. Also, I wish they'd kept the cache... and the decent graphics card.

If they'd sold that machine, I'd have an order in right now.

-- james

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 24, 2003, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by Icruise:
What was it that changed your mind after seeing one in person? You knew the specs all along, after all.
Icruise: Even though I claim I want more features/better specs in the 12-inch PowerBook before buying one, my decision actually has little to do with the PB itself, but more with my own situation. The real reason is this:

Originally posted by seanyepez:
[1] Buy what you need now.
(2) My iBook/500 serves all my immediate needs.
(3) Therefore I don't actually need a new PowerBook now.
(4) Therefore I can afford to wait.

In addition to that, my financial reserves are starting to dwindle after almost three years back in grad school. I am forcibly more conservative with my purchasing decisions and not nearly as shop-happy as I used to be.

See this AppleInsider thread for my positive thoughts about the 12-inch PowerBook. The PowerBook would be a clear improvement over my iBook, but not enough to warrant the $1500 hit I'd take by upgrading at this point.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

Forum Links
Forum Rules