Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Newfound respect for G4

Newfound respect for G4
Bozley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2004, 02:39 PM

Newfound respect for G4

I know the G4 isn�t the greatest processor and that�s what a lot of you on here have been saying and that�s what I used to think. I bought the powerbook for typing in word, music, email, internet etc nothing heavy�..I bought it knowing it wasn�t the fastest laptop you can buy but I new it would be reliable, Quite, nice screens, Glowing keys and it�s so DAM fine!
Anyway I run a small Media company and I had edited a large video on my G5 and then burned it on a DVD and sent it to the guy who lives 5 hours away anyway he wanted a lot things changed and doing it over the phone was out of the question so I contemplated hauling my G5 down there but then decided against it�. I thought I will have to use the powerbook so I firewire over 60gigs of video and loaded final cut 4 on the powerbook and headed out the door hoping my powerbook would do the job.
Got down there opened it up and WOW I was impressed this thing really hauls A$$ In my opinion yes it was slower then my G5 but it wasn�t as bad as I would have thought it was able to preview most of my transitions and animation changes in real time without any sign of trouble. The program or the powerbook never crashed, the only thing that was obviously slower was rendering but the was to be expected. I thought the program would be almost unusable but it was almost as responsive as my G5�WOW�.WOW�. My 3500 dolor Canadian laptop rocks!!!!

Sorry I it was long I was exited about my newfound respect for the PowerBook and the G4. Just had to let someone know!!!!!!

PS-15 inch 1.25 with Super Drive and 1 GIG of ram and 5200rpm hard drive.

Piece
Bos

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2004, 08:23 PM

The thing that made the G4 faster than the G3 was Altivec--the vector processing engine. The G5 has Altivec, but it isn't as good as the G4's. The G5 is still faster, though, due to raw GHz.

Watch those run-on sentences, by the way.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Bozley  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2004, 09:22 PM

I know... I ordinarily check my spelling and Grammar (Out of respect for people like you) when I preview my post, but I inadvertently hit submit.

No spelling mistakes�

I knew somebody would say something there is always one�

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Jul 16, 2004, 12:09 AM

g4's are obviously not bad if people buy them for jobs like video editing, and for using them as their only machines who can't afford two machines, but dont want to deal with two PCs. i think i have now owned every generation of processors ever, except for the g5, which i am waiting for a powerbook, and can say that every machine has been top-of-the-line for video for its time the the old 68k chips didnt do so well, mainly because there wasnt any software involving video back then that i can remember.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

Forum Links
Forum Rules