Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How to flip powerbook screen upside down.... Please read

How to flip powerbook screen upside down.... Please read
PatsPalace24
Oct 13, 2004, 01:22 PM

This is somewhat hard to explain, but you all should get it-
Is there anyway to flip the screen on the powerbook upside down, so when the powerbook itself is right side up, you are watching it normally. Flipping the screen "upside down" so you are looking at it the right way up (if you know what I mean..) Just wondering if there is a program that will flip every pixel upside down to be able to do this?!?! Real quick response is all I need, but would really appreciate your brief help. thanks alot!

Thanks
~Pat
15" Powerbook G4 1.5
512 MB, 80GB 5400 Hard Drive
Superdrive, AP, Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard
20 GB 3G iPod

ibook_steve
Oct 13, 2004, 02:03 PM

I doubt there is anything to do such a thing, but my main question for you is: why?

Steve

PatsPalace24  (op)
Oct 13, 2004, 02:07 PM

I know it might sound stupid, and maybe even "danerous", but I want to put it in my car for a ski trip. I will be driving, and it would be nice to have on the ceiling, especially with the large screen. Most of you will say, "but what if it falls..." Well don't worry, it won't. I have already made a custom padded cases that is double secured. One layer by 5 different velcrow straps, and the outer layer with extremely padded wood so that it cannot physically "slip out." The device is perfect, and the laptop fits perfectly. I would really like to do this, and all I need to do is flip the screen upside down... Please help, I have aleady done the hard part, just seems like this is much easier.... Thanks
15" Powerbook G4 1.5
20 GB 3G iPod

LORL
Oct 13, 2004, 02:43 PM

I feel like it has been done before, because I might have seen something of this nature on TV.

However, the real question is, why didn't you research this before you built a case to hold it?

Sorry I can't help...

PatsPalace24  (op)
Oct 13, 2004, 02:49 PM

The case took 20 minutes to organize, and about 20 to put together. Easy, just wondering how to flip the screen upside down
15" Powerbook G4 1.5
20 GB 3G iPod

ibook_steve
Oct 13, 2004, 02:50 PM

That's...interesting. In any case, the only advice I could provide would be for you to open the case and remove the clamshell, flip it over, and mount it. You don't say which size Powerbook you have, but with a little persistance and the guides at http://www.pbfixit.com you can remove the display. The cables should be long enough.

Steve

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2004, 04:10 PM

Well I am assuming you are doing this to watch movies and if thats all you want to do just use VLC and flip the movie over. This is discussed in another thread here. If you really want to flip the whole screen over for everything (and be able to flip it back) this may be more difficult. There may be an app to do this or someone in the developement forum may be able to do it for you. I wonder if applescript can do this, can't it control individual pixels? Can you just tell it to flip everything? well be careful and good luck.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 13, 2004, 10:34 PM

AppleScript most certainly cannot drive pixels (it's WAAAAY higher-level than that!), and frankly, no application could do it with acceptable performance. It would need to be implemented in the graphics driver, and at this point it hasn't been done.

tooki

PatsPalace24  (op)
Oct 13, 2004, 11:03 PM

Actually, yes, that is all I will be doing is watching movies. So I never even thought about that, but just have the DVD program to flip it over. Someone said VLC. Please excuse me, but I am not familiar with this at all, so could someone please explain it to me, and what option to use to flip it over? Thanks alot, and wow, it is possible, YAY!
15" Powerbook G4 1.5
20 GB 3G iPod

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Oct 14, 2004, 01:31 AM

well if you are using a powerbook with an ATI graphics card, you might be in luck with the entire screen, for ATI supports versa-vision, which should work for you.

http://www.versiontracker.com/php/fe...40920201329566

if you have an nvidia, i dunno what to say, i tried making VLC rotate the image 180 degrees, with no luck, i could get it into portrait (90 degrees) mode but thats it.

hope this helps
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

PER3
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2004, 02:19 AM

There's probably something under Systems Preferences/Universal Access for people who walk on their hands.

Xtraz
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2004, 02:57 AM

Well, since its just movies, if you can get at the XCode files for a DVD player or media player, you can just invoke NSView's -(void) setFrameRotationfloat) angle method, which will rotate the NSView's coordinate system with respect to the window.

If its just a quicktime movie that's easy enough... just modify the SimplePlayer example here

As for a DVD, I don't know how you would handle that.

------EDIT------
I tried out the rotation on NSMovieView and it doesn't work... the rotation methods are inherited from NSView and I guess they disabled it for NSMovieView...
----------------
( Last edited by Xtraz; Oct 14, 2004 at 03:11 AM. )

drive-thru
Senior User
Oct 14, 2004, 03:50 AM

VLC is a media player, like MPlayer, which can play DVDs as well.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Download it for free, open up Preferences and go to Modules>Video Filter>Transform. Set the type to 180 (as in 180 degrees). Now, back in Preferences, go to Video and set the Video Filter Module to Video Transformation Filter.

Now any movie you open up should be rotated 180 deg.

Forum Links
Forum Rules