Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > SBC Yahoo DSL and 10.4

SBC Yahoo DSL and 10.4
pbook28
Jul 5, 2005, 02:42 AM

Hi,
I recently was able to talk my grandpa into buying one of the new imac's with tiger installed. He lives in an area that has SBC Yahoo DSL as an option for internet service for only $14.95/month. When he called SBC, they asked for the os and he told them apple 10.4 and they said that it won't work unless he has 10.3. I use Verizon DSL and have had no difference between using 10.3 or 10.4. Does anyone know if the SBC DSL will work with 10.4? If anyone has had any experience with this, I would appreciate some help. Thanks

pbook28

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2005, 03:29 AM

No changes in my DSL setup (Earthlink, née Verizon) between 10.3 and 10.4.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

PowerTower Fan
Jul 5, 2005, 03:35 AM

I think its the installer software for initially setting up your user name and password that needs 10.3. I'm using SBC DSL and it works perfectly fine with 10.4.

F_Elz
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2005, 03:40 AM

installer also requires IE 5.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2005, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by PowerTower Fan
I think its the installer software for initially setting up your user name and password that needs 10.3. I'm using SBC DSL and it works perfectly fine with 10.4.
Unless SBC requires some form of online identification which is built into the installer, he shouldn't need it. The Networking pref pane is pretty straightforward.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2005, 04:31 AM

USUALLY SBC sends out a modem that requires you to set it up via the web interface -- if you're going to use the modem with a router, you'll want to switch it to bridged mode, but if you're just using it with one computer it's just fine in stock mode..

So here's how it works, when you plug the modem into the computer's ethernet port, it'll assign the computer an IP of 192.168.1.64, so you open a browser window and type in http://192.168.0.1

You'll get a configuration screen where you can enter the username/password and click connect, for now just type in [email protected] with a password of sbcyahooreg

Now, open a new browser window and go to https://sbcreg.sbcglobal.net -- follow the instructions to set up the account and once done, you'll be able to log out the modem, log back in with the new username and password... It should automatically go from there.

A plain jane DSL modem works too, but instead you go to system preferences -> network -> ethernet, choose PPPoE, put in the same info, and do the same thing MAKE SURE if you use PPPoE to go into advanced settings and turn off the auto disconnect crap.
Aloha

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2005, 04:47 PM

BS. My folks have an iBook running 10.4 on SBC Yahoo DSL without incident, although occasionally a dialog will pop up crying foul at how "insecure" the system is (despite the built-in firewall being on and behind a AX). I promptly trashed Internet Exploder after registering.

pbook28  (op)
Jul 5, 2005, 05:18 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys. This is what I expected. If SBC's price wasn't so low we would probably just go to verizon, but since it will work, I'll order it and set it up. Thanks again!

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2005, 05:28 PM

i got this plan...and all they did is send me my modem along with a disk...only stupid thing was that i had to use IE and when agreeing to the terms and services...the agree button was off the page and there was no scrolling capabilities (even space bar and end didnt do the trick) but i was able to see a hair line of the button and was able to click that after 30 minutes of not knowing what to do...oh yeah...and all this was done in 10.4 (sbc is full of PC whores). all is up n runnin now.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2005, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by pbook28
Thanks for all the replies guys. This is what I expected. If SBC's price wasn't so low we would probably just go to verizon, but since it will work, I'll order it and set it up. Thanks again!
Verizon is worse.

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2005, 01:23 AM

Like I was suggesting, you're just best off doing it manually. The software that comes with the modem is janky.
Aloha

krove
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2005, 01:59 PM

Yeah, forget the software they want you to install. Setup PPPoE manually, and you'll be fine.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2005, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by alphasubzero949
Verizon is worse.

Yeah, I hate them. My parents have them. The only decent thing about them is that they are bring FIOS to most of MA right now.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 8, 2005, 02:42 PM

The first thing to do is place the SBC Yahoo! CD on a hard surface and then carefully whack it with a good framing hammer. NOBODY needs this CD, and it puts crud on your computer that you will never even think of needing.

Link gave really good instructions for how to set up your grand's hardware. If what he says doesn't work for you or it doesn't make sense, post a question in the Networking forum and someone (probably several someones) will walk you through everything. You'll need to say what modem model your grand got, so we can give you detailed instructions.

I have been using SBC DSL (not through Yahoo!) for years, and though their corporate structure is incredibly fragmented, the service itself has been great.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

sheer
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2005, 04:21 PM

Get a router modem. You can set up the DSL access via a web browser then use DHCP for IP addresses (turned on in Network Prefs in 10.* and via the web browser when logged into the router). The only extra peripheral needed then will be an ethernet cable. You won't need any drivers etc, DHCP will allocate the internal (ie behind the router) IP address(es) and a good router will have some kind of hardware firewall along with NAT. Should pick up the router modem for under £100. I'm guessing here but in the US it will have to be PPPoE compatible rather than PPPoA that we use in the UK.

Autumn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2005, 03:17 PM

What kind of landline phone package you have to get in order to get the $15 DSL deal?

I moved into my new apartment and I'll need a landline for DSL.
My first Mac:

15.2-inch Titanium G4 @ 1Ghz
1GB Ram
40 GB
64MB Video Ram

iPod Nano 4GB Black

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 11, 2005, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by sheer
Get a router modem.
Here in the States and in Canada, you get the modem the provider gives you (or makes you pay for). Then you get a separate router, which doesn't have to cost much money.

Originally Posted by sheer
You can set up the DSL access via a web browser then use DHCP for IP addresses (turned on in Network Prefs in 10.* and via the web browser when logged into the router). The only extra peripheral needed then will be an ethernet cable. You won't need any drivers etc, DHCP will allocate the internal (ie behind the router) IP address(es) and a good router will have some kind of hardware firewall along with NAT. Should pick up the router modem for under £100. I'm guessing here but in the US it will have to be PPPoE compatible rather than PPPoA that we use in the UK.
Spot on, except for the modem thing. On this side of the pond different providers use different "head end" hardware, and often those using the same hardware will have slightly different settings (this allows them to coexist on the same cabling), thus requiring the use of the provided modem. The good news is that it is usually either free or free after rebate. And yes, we typically use PPPoE as the authentication protocol, but I haven't seen a router on a shelf that didn't support it.

Originally Posted by Autumn
What kind of landline phone package you have to get in order to get the $15 DSL deal?

I moved into my new apartment and I'll need a landline for DSL.
Take a look at SBC's site. They'll tell you EVERYTHING about getting their new, lower cost packages. I have plain vanilla local phone service, plus DSL "Pro" (up to 3Mbps download speeds) for something like $26 a month, and I haven't asked them yet to lower my rate to fit with the new pricing structure.

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2005, 08:55 PM

I'm planning to call in to get mine dropped to 24.99, currently it's 36! They should be able to do that at the price of extending the contract
Aloha

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 11, 2005, 09:26 PM

Cool, Link. If I had the time during the day, I'd call and get mine changed as well.

I'm going to call this thread "done" in this forum, and move it to the Networking forum, since it's obviously about a networking issue, not a MacOS issue.

Great discussion!

funcollector
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2005, 02:35 PM

Hi,
I recently was able to talk my grandpa into buying one of the new imac's with tiger installed. He lives in an area that has SBC Yahoo DSL as an option for internet service for only $14.95/month. When he called SBC, they asked for the os and he told them apple 10.4 and they said that it won't work unless he has 10.3. I use Verizon DSL and have had no difference between using 10.3 or 10.4. Does anyone know if the SBC DSL will work with 10.4? If anyone has had any experience with this, I would appreciate some help. Thanks

pbook28
I just installed SBC Yahoo DSL Monday on my new eMac with 10.4.1. The SBC installer CD said that it worked on "system 10 (excluding 10.0 and 10.4.)" I inslalled it anyway, and it installed and has worked perfectly as near as I can tell. I don't know what is not supposed to work, since everything works fine.

BTW, I am coming from a g3 B&W running 8.6 with a crappy 33k connection, to Tiger and DSL. I feel like Rip Van Winkle.

Forum Links
Forum Rules