Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Has anyone run Parallels 3.0 with Boot Camp Partition-Performance?

Has anyone run Parallels 3.0 with Boot Camp Partition-Performance?
markw10
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2007, 10:08 PM

When the previous version of Parallels started allowing you to use the Boot Camp partition I went that route. My only issue is it seemed to run so slow, especially during bootup. I then went back to the virtual drive that Parallels uses and is faster. I'm wondering if they fixed this boot camp issue with the newest version of Parallels. Has anyone given it a try?

ibook_steve
Jun 11, 2007, 10:39 PM

I never had a problem with a BC partition in 2.5 and I've had no problems in 3.0. It runs quite speedy.

Steve

gametime10
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2007, 11:26 AM

I'm also interested in hearing others' experiences

ibook_steve
Jun 15, 2007, 09:06 PM

Why not just download the trial version, get a trial key, and try it yourself?

Steve

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2007, 09:38 PM

Could be because the Boot Camp partition is near the end of the disk, which is slowest, whereas a virtual image might be placed much closer to the beginning (which, surprise surprise, is the fastest).

gametime10
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2007, 11:18 AM

I've upgraded to the latest 3.0 build and I'm using my Boot Camp partition. I am now unable to drag and drop files from the virtual pc to my mac. Anybody else have this problem?

ibook_steve
Jun 26, 2007, 01:06 PM

Kind of a thread kidnapping, but did you install or update the Parallels tools in Windows?

Steve

gametime10
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2007, 09:42 PM

Yep, sure did. Twice.

jtrwallace
Jun 28, 2007, 09:48 PM

I installed Parallels after 3.0 came out and I use my boot camp partition. I will say this: its slow to start up. So, I tried VMware and its much faster. I've never tried a simple virtual machine as I already have 30 GB for my boot camp partition and I'm not about to reinstall all my programs and make an entirely new windows installation. BTW the reason I need bootcamp partition is for school, programming and gaming. Parallels is just too slow for that. I would, if I were you, give VMware a chance.

ibook_steve
Jun 28, 2007, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by jtrwallace View Post
I installed Parallels after 3.0 came out and I use my boot camp partition. I will say this: its slow to start up. So, I tried VMware and its much faster. I've never tried a simple virtual machine as I already have 30 GB for my boot camp partition and I'm not about to reinstall all my programs and make an entirely new windows installation. BTW the reason I need bootcamp partition is for school, programming and gaming. Parallels is just too slow for that. I would, if I were you, give VMware a chance.
It sounds like you think using a virtual machine from a virtual hard disk image would be faster than using a BC partition. Am I interpreting your statement correctly? Why would this be? And in what tasks do you find VMWare faster than Parallels?

Steve

Forum Links
Forum Rules