Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > X11 w/ Linux

X11 w/ Linux
purplemaji
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2007, 11:50 PM

I want to use X11 on my Mac to display the frontend of a Linux box I have.

Has anyone done this, and can you tell me what it would involve?

Many thanks.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2007, 01:01 AM

What do you mean exactly?

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2007, 01:12 AM

Do you mean X11 forwarding? Or running a linux application on OS X?
Signature depreciated.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2007, 02:19 AM

I would suggest installing SynergyKM on your Mac, and Synergy on your Linux machine. This will allow you to control your Linux box using your Mac's mouse/keyboard. Alternatively, VNC works, and of course SSH X11 forwarding.

purplemaji  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2007, 12:43 PM

I meant X11 forwarding (I think). I wanted to open up X11 on my Mac, and have it show my the Linux desktop that I have running.

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2007, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by purplemaji View Post
I meant X11 forwarding (I think). I wanted to open up X11 on my Mac, and have it show my the Linux desktop that I have running.
Sounds like you might as well just use VNC if this is what you want. Many modern Linux distributions that have GNOME or KDE will include a "Share my desktop" icon or something similarly obvious which will start a VNC server. If you're not running GNOME or KDE, you're probably savvy enough to figure out how to find and run a VNC in whatever desktop or UI you've selected.

I recommend Chicken of the VNC as the viewer on your Mac. SourceForge.net: Chicken of the VNC

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2007, 12:29 AM

The problem with VNC is that it opens up a new desktop session, and right now there are a few problems with VNC display under Ubuntu. SSH X11 forwarding is very cool for when you want to run a particular application. Running Synergy is likewise cool if the other machine is within comfortable visible range.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2007, 03:36 PM

You definitely want X11 forwarding. I haven't done it in a really long time, and only with XFree86 not XOrg (which is what I assume you're using), but it used to be a simple configuration change in the X11 configs on your Linux box and then on your Mac you just use the X11 terminal and ssh into your Linux box using some additional flag (I want to say it's -l, but I can't really remember).

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2007, 03:41 PM

There are some good instructions here (I've always used these for all things SSH) under "X11 Session Forrwarding"

SSH Tutorial

Forum Links
Forum Rules