Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Superbowl 2009

View Poll Results: Who will win?
Poll Options:
Arizona Cardinals 15 votes (42.86%)
Pittsburgh Steelers 20 votes (57.14%)
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll
Superbowl 2009 (Page 2)
King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2009, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by lavar78 View Post
It wasn't a stupid throw so much as a great defensive call and play. They tricked him. Harrison showed blitz, then dropped back right into the passing lane. If anything, they should be blamed for calling a slant with that little time in the half instead of, oh, I don't know... the fade to Fitzgerald that's damn near unstoppable.
Yea, I was yelling "Post! Post!" at the screen whenever the Cardinals were within the 20. You've got some of the best receivers in the league. Go for gold.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2009, 01:32 AM

Best Superbowl I've ever seen.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2009, 06:54 AM

If the Cards had pulled it out who would have been the MVP?

I say Warner.

And that would have cemented his Hall of Fame credentials.

Right now I think he makes it in but some say he's not universally respected by the sportswriters unless/until he wins another SB.
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2009, 06:56 AM

server prob
( Last edited by aberdeenwriter; Feb 2, 2009 at 07:11 AM. )

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2009, 06:57 AM

server prob

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2009, 06:58 AM

server prob

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2009, 06:59 AM

server prob
( Last edited by aberdeenwriter; Feb 2, 2009 at 07:12 AM. )

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2009, 07:48 AM

congrats to the Steelers, it was a lot closer then I thought it was going to be. A great superbowl
~Mike

Dork.
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2009, 08:08 AM

It wasn't a stupid throw so much as a great defensive call and play. They tricked him. Harrison showed blitz, then dropped back right into the passing lane. If anything, they should be blamed for calling a slant with that little time in the half instead of, oh, I don't know... the fade to Fitzgerald that's damn near unstoppable.
It was a tremendous Defensive play call, and the blocking on the runback was outstanding, but I still think Warner should never have thrown the ball. Harrison did drop back into pass coverage, but didn't he drop back early enough for Warner to recognize it? In that situation, if you have any doubt that the pass play might go awry, you're better off throwing it incomplete into the end zone and trying again.

Of course, I say that he should have recognized it while typing from my keyboard, without six or seven large gentlemen trying to slam me into the ground....

Atheist
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2009, 08:10 AM

Fun game to watch. You know it's good when the commercials aren't the highlight of the evening. Would have been nice to see the Cardinals win but you can't deny that Mike Tomlin deserved the victory.

On a side note, Jennifer Hudson did the National Anthem proud. It's a very difficult song to sing and she really made it her own without ruining it. Springsteen was good as well, but I could barely hear him. Was that just my crappy cable TV here in St. Maarten or was it bad for everyone?

Dork.
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2009, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by aberdeenwriter View Post
If the Cards had pulled it out who would have been the MVP?

I say Warner.

And that would have cemented his Hall of Fame credentials.

Right now I think he makes it in but some say he's not universally respected by the sportswriters unless/until he wins another SB.
If it's really the Pro Football Hall of Fame, then Warner's success in the Arena League ought to help him. I'm serious.
The Arena League is, in fact, Professional Football (even if it is a bit bankrupt at the moment).

I feel the same way for Doug Flutie, who has marginal HOF credentials until you count how he pwned the CFL.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2009, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
On a side note, Jennifer Hudson did the National Anthem proud. It's a very difficult song to sing and she really made it her own without ruining it.
Really?!?!? I thought it was a terrible rendition.

I'll say it about your US national anthem: it's incredibly uplifting. It "soars." And IMO there's no better way to ruin it than to sing it while showcasing your own vocal talents; slowing it down, adding warbles here and there, doing some impressive voice thingies and dragging out this part or that part.

We were all sitting there listening to her and agreeing that she managed to suck most of the life out of it.

Originally Posted by Rumor
There was close to 100 yards of penalties against the Cardinals. At least a third were more than questionable.

Warner would be my pick as MVP over Roethlisberger. Warner was much more impressive against a stronger defense.
It's all relative. I thought the holding call on Pittsburgh on the second-last drive that resulted in the safety was pretty bogus too, and especially so at that time in the game.

I still don't quite understand what happened at the end though. Was that play reviewed at all? I just automatically assumed it was going to review but the game seemed to be called incredibly quickly.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2009, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Best Superbowl I've ever seen.
It was good, but nothing will ever top seeing the Patriots humiliated last year by the Giants.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2009, 09:47 AM

I guess most viewers missed the half time show

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7864733.stm

but not everyone.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2009, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
I still don't quite understand what happened at the end though. Was that play reviewed at all? I just automatically assumed it was going to review but the game seemed to be called incredibly quickly.
It was reviewed, and the call was upheld quickly.
As I saw it, the defender made contact with Warner while his arm was going back, and he never really had full control while his arm was going forward, so I think the call was correct.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2009, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
It was reviewed, and the call was upheld quickly.
As I saw it, the defender made contact with Warner while his arm was going back, and he never really had full control while his arm was going forward, so I think the call was correct.
I didn't think it was that cut and dry when I watched it. I was VERY surprised that they didn't take more time to review it.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2009, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew Stephens View Post
I guess most viewers missed the half time show
I didn't watch it. I've only seen one half time show that was good, and that was the superbowl with U2. Every other half time show was lame. When they had Tom Petty on last year that was when I gave up watching the shows.
~Mike

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2009, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
I didn't watch it. I've only seen one half time show that was good, and that was the superbowl with U2. Every other half time show was lame. When they had Tom Petty on last year that was when I gave up watching the shows.
Click the link!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2009, 12:46 PM

Great Super Bowl, but last year's had so much more at stake going into it.

Eli's escape and Tyree's catch cemented it. Best Super Bowl of all-time.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2009, 01:35 PM

Great game. I thought a few of the penalties were sketchy, but the sketchiest one (where the Cardinals defender ran into the holder and gave the Steelers a fresh set of downs) didn't actually lead to any extra points and in fact it almost helped the Cards (one of the ensuing plays was almost intercepted).

All in all, I'm happy with how the game went, even though I was hoping for the Cards to win. I'm always glad when the Super Bowl is as close as this.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2009, 02:04 PM

This was no where near the best superbowl of all time.

The first three quarters sucked, and though there was an exciting drive by the cards, it was never really in doubt that the steelers would end up on top. Their offense is just too much for the cards, and that was evident throughout the entire game.

Considering how weak the NFC's superbowl team was (9-7?!???!), i'm suprised pitt didn't blow them out early. Guess they wanted to give a show?

The real superbowl was 2 weeks ago. Baltimore/Pitt....either one of those would have taken out either remaining NFC team.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2009, 02:15 PM

stressful but awesome,
Great win for the Stillers, now its Six-burgh

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2009, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
stressful but awesome,
Great win for the Stillers, now its Six-burgh
haha, more like SUX-burgh!

amirite?

klb5090
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2009, 02:56 PM

i always forget how many super bowls the vikings have won.... maybe its 0, oh yea that's right

Dork.
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2009, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
The first three quarters sucked, and though there was an exciting drive by the cards, it was never really in doubt that the steelers would end up on top. Their offense is just too much for the cards, and that was evident throughout the entire game.
Which game were you watching? The one I was watching was decided by a defensive touchdown, and the Pittsburgh offense (which was "just too much for the Cards") managed to get stalled in the Red Zone twice (three times, really, if you count the drive with the penalty twice) and gave up a safety.

The Cardinal offense stalled in the third quarter, but that's about it. Given another minute or so on the clock, they likely would have scored on that last drive.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2009, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
i always forget how many super bowls the vikings have won.... maybe its 0, oh yea that's right
Which serves only to make me extremely bitter. I always root for the underdog because I know how they feel, and I hate virtually all successful teams

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2009, 04:04 PM

Which game were you watching? The one I was watching was decided by a defensive touchdown, and the Pittsburgh offense (which was "just too much for the Cards") managed to get stalled in the Red Zone twice (three times, really, if you count the drive with the penalty twice) and gave up a safety.

The Cardinal offense stalled in the third quarter, but that's about it. Given another minute or so on the clock, they likely would have scored on that last drive.
This is the game I saw as well. Held twice on 1st and goal under the 10, to a field goal with one the top ground games in the league.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2009, 06:30 PM

If it's really the Pro Football Hall of Fame, then Warner's success in the Arena League ought to help him. I'm serious.
The Arena League is, in fact, Professional Football (even if it is a bit bankrupt at the moment).

I feel the same way for Doug Flutie, who has marginal HOF credentials until you count how he pwned the CFL.
I REALLY admire Flutie but he's not HOF material.

Never won a Super Bowl. Never was MVP of the league.

And it is the NFL Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Arena and CFL duty doesn't count. In fact, it detracts because it might be said 'if they were REALLY good they'd have played in the NFL.'

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2009, 07:00 PM

We had a CFL team in Shreveport, Louisiana. That goes to show you that it's not quite top tier. *ahem*

I definitely enjoy watching old videos from his Boston College days; he was the prototypical underdog who scraped his way to victory. Flutie pulled off some amazing stuff in his day, but had a very mediocre NFL career.

Warner, on the other hand, came out of Arena Football and became a huge success. Take a look at the Warner's history in the NFL (taken from good ol' Wikipedia):
- Second Highest Completion Percentage, Career (Min. 1500 attempts) - 65.75%
- Highest Average Passing Yards Per Game, Career (Min. 100 games) - 261.2 yards/game
- Most Yards Passing, Super Bowl (Game) - 414 yards vs. Tennessee Titans (only QB to pass for 400+ yards in the Super Bowl; also owns 2nd and 3rd highest yardage total in Super Bowl with 377 against the Pittsburgh Steelers and 365 against the New England Patriots).
- Most Yards Passing, Super Bowl (Career) - 1,156 yards
- Highest Rate of Games w/300+ Yards Passing (Min. 100 games played) - 45.2% (47/104)
- Most Consecutive Games w/300+ Yards Passing - 6 (tied w/Steve Young and Rich Gannon)
- Most Games with a Perfect Passer Rating, Career (regular season only) - 3 (tied w/Peyton Manning and Ben Roethlisberger)
- Only NFL quarterback to throw 40 touchdowns and win a Super Bowl in the same season (1999).
- Most Touchdown Passes in a Single Postseason - 11 (in 2009, tied w/Joe Montana, who did it in 1990)

Warner's a big-time NFL QB. Period. I think he has a good shot at getting in the HoF. Additionally, he has a great story, which like it or not...people take note of.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2009, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
We had a CFL team in Shreveport, Louisiana. That goes to show you that it's not quite top tier. *ahem*

I definitely enjoy watching old videos from his Boston College days; he was the prototypical underdog who scraped his way to victory. Flutie pulled off some amazing stuff in his day, but had a very mediocre NFL career.

Warner, on the other hand, came out of Arena Football and became a huge success. Take a look at the Warner's history in the NFL (taken from good ol' Wikipedia):
- Second Highest Completion Percentage, Career (Min. 1500 attempts) - 65.75%
- Highest Average Passing Yards Per Game, Career (Min. 100 games) - 261.2 yards/game
- Most Yards Passing, Super Bowl (Game) - 414 yards vs. Tennessee Titans (only QB to pass for 400+ yards in the Super Bowl; also owns 2nd and 3rd highest yardage total in Super Bowl with 377 against the Pittsburgh Steelers and 365 against the New England Patriots).
- Most Yards Passing, Super Bowl (Career) - 1,156 yards
- Highest Rate of Games w/300+ Yards Passing (Min. 100 games played) - 45.2% (47/104)
- Most Consecutive Games w/300+ Yards Passing - 6 (tied w/Steve Young and Rich Gannon)
- Most Games with a Perfect Passer Rating, Career (regular season only) - 3 (tied w/Peyton Manning and Ben Roethlisberger)
- Only NFL quarterback to throw 40 touchdowns and win a Super Bowl in the same season (1999).
- Most Touchdown Passes in a Single Postseason - 11 (in 2009, tied w/Joe Montana, who did it in 1990)

Warner's a big-time NFL QB. Period. I think he has a good shot at getting in the HoF. Additionally, he has a great story, which like it or not...people take note of.
Here's the link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Warner

Plus, he took two different teams to the SB and was once voted the Super Bowl MVP and the league MVP twice.

Like I said, I think he's already there but another SB win and he'd be a lock for first year enshrinement.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2009, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by aberdeenwriter View Post
I REALLY admire Flutie but he's not HOF material.

Never won a Super Bowl. Never was MVP of the league.

And it is the NFL Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Arena and CFL duty doesn't count. In fact, it detracts because it might be said 'if they were REALLY good they'd have played in the NFL.'
What about Warren Moon? 5 Grey Cups, no SB, but in the CFL AND NFL HoF.
45/47

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2009, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
The real superbowl was 2 weeks ago. Baltimore/Pitt....either one of those would have taken out either remaining NFC team.
The Eagles dominated the Steelers when they played earlier this season. Yes, they did the same thing to the Cardinals and managed to screw up the rematch, but the Eagles certainly would've had a chance against either AFC team (just like the Cardinals did).

The final play should have been ruled a fumble, but it should've been reviewed on the field. After all, it was the play that ended the game. You'd think they'd want to make sure they got that one right. Besides, when you consider they gave Pittsburgh that touchdown against Baltimore in the regular season when there clearly wasn't "indisputable visual evidence" to overturn it, who really knows what would've happened?

That holding call in the endzone was completely legitimate. The lineman grabbed the guy and pulled him down; that's a holding call. That was one of the better calls in this game.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2009, 10:08 PM

It was a tremendous Defensive play call, and the blocking on the runback was outstanding, but I still think Warner should never have thrown the ball. Harrison did drop back into pass coverage, but didn't he drop back early enough for Warner to recognize it? In that situation, if you have any doubt that the pass play might go awry, you're better off throwing it incomplete into the end zone and trying again.
I think Harrison timed the drop back perfectly. He seemed to be coming until the ball was snapped. Anyway, I agree it was a poor decision, but I just think "stupid" is too strong a word when he was baited into making it. The throw would've been perfect if they had done what it looked like they were going to do.

Of course, I say that he should have recognized it while typing from my keyboard, without six or seven large gentlemen trying to slam me into the ground....
Indeed.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2009, 11:20 PM

I'm pretty amazed that everyone is talking about Harrison's run back but no one mentions him punching a player on the field. Repeatedly.

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2009, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I'm pretty amazed that everyone is talking about Harrison's run back but no one mentions him punching a player on the field. Repeatedly.
I would love to know the story behind that one. It marred an otherwise incredible season for Harrison.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2009, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
John Madden hit the nail on the head: he should've been ejected from the game. No ifs, ands, or buts about it: that was ridiculous.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2009, 09:03 AM

That holding call in the endzone was completely legitimate. The lineman grabbed the guy and pulled him down; that's a holding call. That was one of the better calls in this game.
Yeah, I only saw the replays at the time, and admittedly was heavily into the imbibing process, but to me it looked like they were both going down anyway; the lineman was already falling backwards, and his man was already falling on top of him. Either way, AFAIK the ball was already "gone" when it occurred was it not? Very ticky-tack, is what I thought at the time.

The penalty where the setter got bowled over I thought was sketchy at first, but the replays clearly showed that the guy might've tripped beforehand, but made absolutely no attempt to avoid him at all. He kinda half-stumbled a bit and then bowled directly into him. Great call.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2009, 09:55 AM

Yeah, I only saw the replays at the time, and admittedly was heavily into the imbibing process, but to me it looked like they were both going down anyway; the lineman was already falling backwards, and his man was already falling on top of him. Either way, AFAIK the ball was already "gone" when it occurred was it not? Very ticky-tack, is what I thought at the time.
Doesn't matter if the ball is gone. Holding in the end zone is a safety.

The penalty where the setter got bowled over I thought was sketchy at first, but the replays clearly showed that the guy might've tripped beforehand, but made absolutely no attempt to avoid him at all. He kinda half-stumbled a bit and then bowled directly into him. Great call.

greg
I don't know if what he did should be called "roughing" the holder. Sure he ran into him, but roughing?

That call didn't have an impact on the game, though, unlike some others.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2009, 12:28 PM

John Madden hit the nail on the head: he should've been ejected from the game. No ifs, ands, or buts about it: that was ridiculous.
With Harrison gone, two "holding" calls on Az most likely don't happen.
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2009, 03:39 PM

Hmm, was he in?

45/47

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2009, 03:40 PM

Who cares, it's over.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2009, 03:44 PM

Even if it was conclusive that he didn't get both feet down, the ref probably would have ruled that he got pushed out of bounds.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2009, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
Who cares, it's over.
I know that, and the pick at the end of the first half didn't help, but it does take a bit off the luster of another Lombardi Trophy "won" (again) with the help of poor officiating. SB XL officiating was worse than XLIII.
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2009, 03:49 PM

Even if it was conclusive that he didn't get both feet down, the ref probably would have ruled that he got pushed out of bounds.
That rule was changed prior to 2008 season. There is no longer a "push out "rule
45/47

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 4, 2009, 03:52 PM

Pepsuber.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2009, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
I know that, and the pick at the end of the first half didn't help, but it does take a bit off the luster of another Lombardi Trophy "won" (again) with the help of poor officiating. SB XL officiating was worse than XLIII.
I say this as a basketball fan - the officiating always sucks. Consider it another aspect of luck and hope it breaks in favor of your team.

Also, thank this era of technology for sustaining your pain. 20 years ago it'd have looked in, been called in, and that'd be that.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2009, 04:02 PM

That rule was changed prior to 2008 season. There is no longer a "push out "rule
You are correct! I forgot about that....

Even so, here's another photo from the same azcentral.com article....

Not so clear-cut, huh?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2009, 04:12 PM

NFL just released a statement. The play has been overturned, and the Cardinals have been given the Lombardi Trophy.

Here's the link.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2009, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
NFL just released a statement. The play has been overturned, and the Cardinals have been given the Lombardi Trophy.

Here's the link.
The call is what is was. The Stealers won the game. I understand NEXT year when there is a questionable call that the refs are going to announce that it was reviewed in the booth and not buzzed down to the Ref for review, as it was in SB XLIII
45/47

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2009, 05:28 PM

The call is what is was. The Stealers
Stop right there. You lost all credibility.

Forum Links
Forum Rules