Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Changing the timestamps on files downloaded via Safari?

Changing the timestamps on files downloaded via Safari?
Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2009, 07:48 PM

Does anyone know of a way to tell Safari to set the timestamp on files it downloaded to the time it downloaded the file and not the timestamp provided by the server?

For example, if I download file.dmg from blah.com, the file shows a date modified of "April 1, 2004" in Finder, even when I downloaded it on November 9, 2009.

Just a minor thing, but it would help greatly when I am cleaning up my Downloads folder.
<This space under renovation>

ibook_steve
Nov 9, 2009, 09:58 PM

My behavior does not match yours. .dmg files have the created and modified dates and times set to when I download them. Granted, I'm currently using FF, but I don't think that matters. Files inside the .dmg or inside .zip files always have the actual date the file was created.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Drakino  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2009, 11:07 PM

It is behavior unique to Safari, and applies to files other then DMGs as well.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2009, 11:24 PM

I personally think Safari's behavior is correct and Firefox's is wrong. Downloading a file does not create a new file. So, the creation date shouldn't be changed. It's no different than copying a file from a file server.

You can sort stacks by date added so that could be a way to help you clean up your Downloads folder.
Vandelay Industries

Drakino  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2009, 11:18 AM

Whichever way is "right" doesn't really matter to me, I'd just like the option to change it if I don't find it right. While being able to sort the stacks by date added is somewhat useful, Quicklook doesn't work in stacks. I suppose the other solution would be to have a date added column in Finder, but I also can't find a way to show that, just created and modified.

I was hoping for at least a hidden setting, but I can't find anything there either on a hints site or in secrets.

Forum Links
Forum Rules