Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPad as Book Reader-Please Chime In On...

iPad as Book Reader-Please Chime In On...
ghporter
Administrator
May 6, 2010, 09:11 PM

...ease of use, availability and variety of books and formats, prices of books, etc. This may be a birthday present in a few months, and I'd like the confidence that the intended recipient's stated use as a book reader will live up to expectations.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
May 6, 2010, 10:35 PM

From just the iBook store, selection is somewhat limited right now. However, if you also install the Kindle app, the selection goes up quite a bit.

As a book reader, it works great indoors, and with brightness controls set to lowest, isn't bad in complete darkness. The weight does get annoying (compared to a Kindle/Nook) after a while, but it's pretty easy to rest it on something. It's worthless outside though due to the glossy screen.

For just books, I'd say go with a dedicated e-reader. If they have any interest in the other iPad functions though, it should work out fine.
<This space under renovation>

-Q-
May 7, 2010, 11:12 AM

I think book availability is the biggest shortcoming of iBooks. Amazon/Kindle definitely has a head start there and it certainly shows. As Drakino said, if you install the Kindle app (which is a quite nice application) your book selection goes up dramatically (and you can comparison shop).

Comparing the two applications, I have to say iBooks is a bit better, but not by much. I think the built-in brightness controls in iBooks is the thing I use most as I do a lot of my reading in the evening. It's also handy to have the ability to purchase books from within iBooks rather than having to open Safari, but that's a minor quibble at best. And if your intended audience will be purchase books with illustrations, iBooks does that well. Otherwise, both apps are very good and using them for actual reading of content is pretty equivalent in my eyes.

I've not used a Kindle for an extended period of time so I can't speak to what is truly "better" from a hardware standpoint, but I do notice the weight of the iPad after awhile. But like a large hardback, I just find something to rest it on. Based on my limited Kindle experience, I'd probably say the Kindle is better as a dedicated eReader. But if the intended recipient will be wanting to use it (the device to be named) for other things, the flexibility of the iPad makes it the winner, hands down.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2010, 07:14 PM

I only used one for a couple hours, but it's pretty awful as a text reader. Get something epaper based if the primary purpose is reading text.

-Q-
May 8, 2010, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
I only used one for a couple hours, but it's pretty awful as a text reader. Get something epaper based if the primary purpose is reading text.
I don't find this to be the case at all.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2010, 08:51 PM

I'm so confused!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
May 8, 2010, 09:20 PM

Well we ordered a 32GB unit today after playing with one at the local Apple Store. My wife felt that it was much easier to read than a Nook, which we got a demo of today as well. Plus it integrates with everything my wife does with her MacBook.

I agree with Q on reading text on the iPad-the high resolution screen renders text very well, and in any situation where a paper book would be comfortable to read my wife and I believe the iPad will be very readable.

Now we just have to wait until about the 19th. The funny thing is that the Apple case won't be delivered for 2 weeks after that!

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2010, 02:26 AM

Thirded. The iPad is excellent for reading.

I've tried out my iPhone's Stanza books with it for a few hours (had one on loan from a friend). Great ebook reader IMHO.

amazing
Professional Poster
May 9, 2010, 08:39 AM

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2010, 09:22 AM

I don't have a Kindle, so I can only talk about the iPad.

Personally, reading books on the iPad is ok, but a bit tiresome.

I'd say this has probably a lot to do with the weight of the iPad.
I don't think I would recommend the iPad for someone who wants to use it as a ebook reader for more than 30% of the time.

However, when it comes to other tasks, you really can't beat the iPad.
For mobile video viewing, the built in movie player, airVideo and Netflix are an unbeatable combination.

-t

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2010, 11:28 AM

Well, I'll be curious to see how this plays out with my grandmother now. I delivered her iPad this weekend, and we tried to buy some books from the iBooks store. Nothing that she wanted was in it, so I also helped her set up an Amazon account so she can use the Kindle store. Found a book she has been searching for and downloaded it. While the Kindle shopping experience isn't as integrated, it's not terrible. The App opens Safari to browse the store. Once you buy, it has a button to reopen the Kindle app, and the book is then downloaded.
<This space under renovation>

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2010, 04:32 AM

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
May 22, 2010, 10:02 AM

We received the iPad on Wednesday, and we've enjoyed setting it up and playing with the features. Not everything about every product Apple makes is "intuitive," though. And particularly when you try to use the Kindle app and Amazon's Kindle store without some sort of instruction. For everyone's enlightenment, all you have to do is install the Kindle app on an iPad, and then you can use it to get to the store (no additional login required) to get your books.

I'll say this about Amazon: their compilations and collections, particularly of classic adventure, SF and fantasy, are both comprehensive and QUITE affordable. My wife has always been an Andre Norton fan, and Amazon's Kindle collection of Norton's books has 12 of 'em for 99¢. There is also a collection of H. Beam Piper's works, and one of Edgar Rice Burroughs' books. This is great stuff, and for 99¢ each, she'll have lots of fun rereading these favorites.

amazing
Professional Poster
May 22, 2010, 11:07 AM

Congratulations! Sounds like the iPad may be the best gift ever?

pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2010, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Drakino View Post
From just the iBook store, selection is somewhat limited right now. However, if you also install the Kindle app, the selection goes up quite a bit..
I have both which is working perfectly. The kindle for beach / bed / travel reading - iPad for living room - my iPhone for those long subway rides. Having the kindle app seamlessly sync my place in books is heaven sent.

So for extra gift credit - buy both.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
May 22, 2010, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
Congratulations! Sounds like the iPad may be the best gift ever?
It doesn't beat jewelry, but it's right up there.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2010, 12:08 AM

My son's read 5 books on my iPad. He actually prefers it to paper. I've read 1 book. I didn't find it hard on the eyes at all. I was indoors though. Not sure if bright sun would have made a difference, but then again, I don't like reading paper books in bright sun either.

The iPhone as a book reader is pointless. The iPad is very good. The book I read was using the Kindle app. It was quite nice.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

freudling
Banned
May 23, 2010, 04:57 AM

To me reading/education in association with the iPad is the "killer app". This is what the device does best. I was an early eBook eInk Display adopter... and while they are better in daylight, they are terrible in any other conditions. It's a balance.

With the iPad, you get so much more capability: magazines and newspaper subscriptions, and books nicely formatted and displayed. Page turns are way faster, text is crisp...

amazing
Professional Poster
May 23, 2010, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
It doesn't beat jewelry, but it's right up there.
I've got it! You can accessorize the iPad with some jewelry!

-Q-
May 23, 2010, 09:01 AM

I've got it! You can accessorize the iPad with some jewelry!
Glenn will never have to buy another gift ever again:

amazing
Professional Poster
May 25, 2010, 10:31 AM

Kindle DX fails college text book test, but is good for reading for pleasure:

Business & Technology | Amazon.com's Kindle fails first college test | Seattle Times Newspaper

Quote:

"You don't read textbooks in the same linear way as a novel," said Roesner, 23, a graduate student in computer science and engineering. "You have to flip back and forth between pages, and the Kindle is too slow for that. Also, the bookmarking function is buggy."

driven
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2010, 10:51 AM

Kindle DX fails college text book test, but is good for reading for pleasure:

Business & Technology | Amazon.com's Kindle fails first college test | Seattle Times Newspaper

Quote:

"You don't read textbooks in the same linear way as a novel," said Roesner, 23, a graduate student in computer science and engineering. "You have to flip back and forth between pages, and the Kindle is too slow for that. Also, the bookmarking function is buggy."
Flipping is fast on the iPad. As a bonus you can have full color diagrams and illustrations, which are difficult on the Kindle device.

I'm wondering if it was the hardware limitation, or the concept of e-books in general?
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

amazing
Professional Poster
May 25, 2010, 12:10 PM

well, the article mentions needing "better high-lighting, note-taking scribbled in margins, ability to skip back and forth between textbook pages, need to view color diagrams" stuff that you don't need with novels...

It's mostly a list of features that any device, iPad or Kindle, would need in college text-ebooks.

Much of what is mentioned in the article also applies to the iPad (except for the color, natch.)

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 25, 2010, 01:28 PM

Yeah, I have no problems using a laptop screen for textbooks. However, I hate reading for extended periods on computer screens. Gives me a headache. I must admit I haven't read for extended periods on an iPad but the screen looks basically the same as a laptop screen, so I suspect the result would be same in terms of headache-inducement.

A friend of mine is buying an iPad as a book reader. Should prove interesting. However, he doesn't find computer screens for reading as annoying as I do so the iPad may suit him for that.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 25, 2010, 04:21 PM

I've shown it to a bunch of people who read a lot of paperback and sometimes even on their iPhone.

They looked into real ereaders and were not impressed as reading in the dark still needs backlighting or ambient. The DPI, OS, price, single task or responsiveness didn't impress either. Even the battery isn't half as good as expected.

The iPad knocked these same peoples socks off right away as the DPI is so great and when you dim the screen within the app it is comfortable even in dark settings. Almost all of them were sold on the iPad right when they saw iBooks.

Ereaders are just going to become the cheap dumbphone of the book market. $99, you read books digitally. Period. Noting better other than cheap.

Try one out in store, you won't be impressed.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 25, 2010, 04:35 PM

amazing
Professional Poster
May 25, 2010, 04:46 PM

quoted 3 posts above

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 25, 2010, 08:07 PM

Personally I think the Kindle would make a TERRIBLE textbook reader. Textbooks are a lot more multimedia than standard novels, and IMO colour is absolutely necessary for textbooks these days.
( Last edited by Eug; May 25, 2010 at 08:13 PM. )

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
May 25, 2010, 08:23 PM

For the texts I used in my latest school career, color was essential to every illustration. The Kindle device would not have done it for me.

By the way, we're having fun locating and downloading a variety of books on my wife's new iPad; she's played with three different readers-Amazon's Kindle app, Barnes & Noble's eReader app, and the Apple iBook app. Each has a few points that are cool and different from the others, but they all do a good job of rendering text. One interesting item was bookmarks. We were sitting around discussing this with a friend, and I said "hey, maybe you just touch the corner of the page and it 'folds down' like a dogear..." Nope-Kindle gives you this fancy bookmark instead of a dogear. Pretty cool. It would have been very handy with textbooks to have multiple bookmarks-some of my texts were huge and I had to refer to multiple sections of them on a regular basis. Just not having to carry "Pedretti," a nearly 9 pound tome, would have been awesome, though!

amazing
Professional Poster
May 26, 2010, 12:08 AM

Heavy textbooks: One of my shoulders is higher than the other, and I do remember all those textbooks...it would've been heaven to have them all on a lightweight device...

Cold Warrior
May 26, 2010, 12:21 AM

I can't wait to see some real textbooks on iPad. A lot of the multimedia will be great, but even simple integrated functions would be welcome and efficient. I remember one of my beginner Russian textbooks, Грамматика в контехте, and tapes, and videos, and a workbook. Would have been nice to tap words to hear pronunciation, tap poems or words for translations (ala built-in flash cards), and more.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 26, 2010, 01:14 AM

The bookmarking and built in dictionary with iBooks impress the hell out of everyone I show.

amazing
Professional Poster
May 26, 2010, 11:03 AM

I'm sure there's some pretty intense research going into reader apps specifically for text books. It's gonna be one killer app that will make the iPad supremely popular. The article quoted above talks about many of the features that a textbook reader needs, to which I would add 'multiple levels of annotation in different colors.'

-Q-
May 26, 2010, 11:31 AM

I downloaded The Elements for my nephew to play with and he was enthralled for hours, and that's just scratching the surface of what an interactive text book can do. Really looking forward to seeing Gen. 2.

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2010, 02:22 PM

I'm waiting for Zinio to make their book library available on the iPad, instead of just magazines. I used them before for a textbook on my MacBook and it was good. I e-mailed them a few weeks ago to see if they were and they said they plan on making everything available on the iPad and iPhone/iPod Touch, but it will be a while.
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
May 26, 2010, 08:09 PM

I didn't know Zinio had a book library-all of my experience with them has been with magazines. I'll have to see what their library is like. They DO have an iPhone/iPad magazine app...

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2010, 12:14 AM

Yeah, I honestly haven't looked at their book selection since I got that e-textbook. I used chegg this last semester, but if I could get some textbooks on the iPad that would be a lot better.

Seeing the Zinio magazine app is what made me e-mail them, so I got it on my iPod Touch. But changing pages seemed slow to me, haven't checked if there is an update yet so don't know if its fixed or not.
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

andi*pandi
May 27, 2010, 12:29 PM

I am pleased that the iBook store has Project Gutenberg's free library in it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules