Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > why is everything crashing?

why is everything crashing?
tramahound
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2004, 09:02 AM

just recently (I suspect it started happening after doing the last round of updates that were released) I've been getting a lot of strange behavior on my cube running 10.3.3. Garageband does not start. it tries to but then unexpectedly quits before it can fully load my last song. this same thing happens with iPhoto on my 466 G4 tower after applying the same updates. i don't see how the updates (such ones as the ichat update, the security update, the airport update etc) can be the factor as they are not updates to the applications with the problems, and i have also noticed that the finder is quitting on me a lot lately too. under my logs directory i have the following reports for the finder and iphoto respectively from the 466;
Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x044c4000
Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x11b34b7c

is it possible to tell what is wrong from this? how would I go about fixing things?
Thanks

tramahound  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2004, 12:07 PM

I just deleted my install of iPhoto along with it's .plist file then downloaded Cocktail to repair permissions and prebindings etc. did a fresh install of iPhoto 4, launched it and bam, same thing. it never fully loads and "unexpectedly quits" on me.
would a re-install be in order? what's it called when you re-install on top of your current install? where it almost just upgrades it? I do not want to have to do a clean install at this point...

tramahound  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2004, 12:21 PM

ok, I removed the entire iPhoto Library directory, launched iPhoto and it now is able to completely launch. while this doesn't tell me what is wrong at least it now runs. this machine is not the main one that I store pictures on so there are only about 200 pics instead of my full 5000+ collection. what could be wrong in the iPhoto Library directory that can be fixed? re-importing these shots will be fine, but if this happens to my 5000+ pictures it will not be an option. and what kind of relation is there between iPhoto crashing and my finder and garageband continuously crashing on the cube?
thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules