Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Leaving on a jet plane with a G5

Leaving on a jet plane with a G5
brewsta
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2004, 12:17 PM

I don't see a better place to post this question so...

I live in Europe and will be flying to the USA to buy a G5 Powermac (at least $1000 cheaper in the states because of tax and currency differences). I am concerned about trying to take it back on the plane.

According to Delta, they will not sell insurance for electronics/computers in checked luggage. With nearly $5000 invested in a maxed machine , I'd like to carry it on. But I am worried that A) I might have trouble with security and B) they might say it is too big to carry on (in one dimension, it is four inches larger than the carry-on limit. I called Delta, and the nice lady on the phone said it shouldn't be a problem -- but no guarantees there will be a nice person at the gate.

Does anyone have any experience with air travel and desk tops that they can related that could be of use as I consider this?

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2004, 12:24 PM

Carry on? No way that box is fitting in the overhead compartment.

Can't you just fed ex it from the US?

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

theiliad
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2004, 12:46 PM

i doubt very, very much, the G5 is DAMN heavy!!! and will definalelty not fit in the overhead holder.

iEasyPOD - The easiest way to convert all your videos for the iPod

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2004, 01:00 PM

Won't customs tear you a new one?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 21, 2004, 01:08 PM

1) You will have to check it. The box is good quality, but it might pay to add another layer.

2) It might get ripped off.

3) You'll get killed by customs taxes.

IOW, there is no point whatsoever in doing this. OTOH, if you were considering doing this for a PowerBook, you might be able to sneak one in, but you'd have to dump all your boxes, etc.

cmoney
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2004, 01:24 PM

Not sure how much help this will be, but my only experience was a few years back, before 9/11 security restrictions. I was taking a home made desktop PC and didn't want to check it in. Size wise, I had no problems, since it was less than half the size of the G5, but I had security problems up the wazoo. As I said, this was a few years back, around 97-98 and they thought it was a bomb back then. They wanted me to turn it on and all that crap like it was a notebook computer. I ended up buying a box and packing it up instead. You may face security hurdles now too. And from my experience, Delta has never been that accomodating with me as far as size of carry-ons go. Especially on international flights.

Just FYI, I've got a G5 and it's really pretty heavy. I guess I've seen carry-ons that were that heavy but man, it's big and unwieldy. If you decide to carry it on, you'd definitely have to take it out of the shipping box. At the same time, if you decide to check it in and keep the original box, MAKE SURE to cover the sides of the box so no one knows it's a computer! I made the mistake of reusing an iBook box to check in some books while I was on a conference and never saw that box again. Now, I don't know if it's actually because they thought it was a laptop in there or what, but I'll never be that stupid again.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2004, 01:42 PM

You may want to consider shipping it from the U.S. to wherever you are. You'll have to declare the value on the shipment, of course, and figure out how to pay whatever duty is due on it, but you'd technically have to do that even if you took it on the plane with you.

Being an American, my only experience is with buying stuff to bring back to the U.S., but I know that here we can send a certain amount of goods home per day duty-free above and beyond the duty-free exemption for stuff we bring home on the plane! So, depending on how much stuff you're planning on bringing home, you may pay less duty by mailing stuff home, anyway. You customs office ought to have all these details -- it might be worth calling them or going to their web site.

The exchange rate right now is insane: on my recent trip to Italy, my wife's $999 Canon Rebel digital camera was going for something like 1299 euros, incl. VAT (maybe more, I don't remember). When you consider that 1 euro was worth approx. $1.20 to $1.25 on my trip, I can see how attractive it would be for a European to buy it here -- the savings would pay for most of the plane ticket!

One thing, though: I don't think visitors to the U.S. can get sales tax refunded, like some visitors to European countries can get VAT refunded for goods they bring home. So I hope you're buying this in a tax-free state, or you G5 may cost more than you think...

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 21, 2004, 01:53 PM

When I was living in Switzerland, I smuggled a Mac clone back with me. It was a PowerCenter Pro minitower, which I took out of the box and hand-carried in a large canvas bag (with some towels or clothes as a bit of padding on the bottom). I also just threw a magazine on top and sashayed through the "Nothing To Declare" line. No problems at all. (This was 1997, mind you.)

The G5 is appreciably larger and heavier, I doubt you could get away with it.

tooki

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2004, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by dreilly1:
So I hope you're buying this in a tax-free state, or you G5 may cost more than you think...

New Hampshire

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

brewsta  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2004, 04:02 PM

Thanks for all the different thoughts. I know it sounds crazy, but the reason I wanted to try this is that I am an American living in Prague and I wanted to avoid the VAT of 22% (close to $1000 on a G5) here, plus lousy exhange rates.

I have had friends bring in electronic, laptops, etc. and avoid the tax at customs by either walking through or, when challenged, signing a document saying that it is not new and for personal use.

My idea was to take the G5 out of the box and put it on some wheels like they sell for carrying luggage -- stow the rest of the stuff in the checked bag. At the end of the day, if I Fedex/DHL it, I'd pay the shipping, plus the tax guy would get me for sure on the insured value. I could just as well buy it here then.

I checked the Delta carry on dimensions and it is legal, even on the weight (by a pound) except the depth is too much by four inches. The Delta woman on the phone thought that if they didn't let me carry it on, they might hand-check it to the cabin. Delta's website they will not insure a computer as checked luggage!

Still, the thought that security wouldn't let it through does give me pause with the carry on idea...

traktimino
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2004, 04:09 PM

lol buy another ticket and put it on the seat next to ya

Blizzake
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2004, 04:11 PM

ups or fedex it to yourself as a gift.
C2D Blackbook Week 44

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2004, 04:29 PM

Definitely FedEx it back home. You get insurance and fast delivery that way. Don't send it as a newly bought item but as a second hand item or gift otherwise you pay tax or something.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2004, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
Definitely FedEx it back home. You get insurance and fast delivery that way. Don't send it as a newly bought item but as a second hand item or gift otherwise you pay tax or something.
You can still get taxed on a gift.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2004, 05:51 PM

A. Odds are the boxed G5 is way too big to fit in overhead.
B. Security now a days will look very leary of letting a computer on as carry on, especially if its not boxed.
C. If its checked and boxed you can pretty much guarantee that it will either be "missing" when you go pick it up or in pieces.
D. Customs will fine/confiscate/charge you taxes on it.

you said it yourself you investing 5000 dollars which you are pretty much gambling. Wouldn't it be safer and cheaper to ship it and pay the taxes or buy it there and pay the taxes. I'm pretty sure the taxes won't be as high has 5000 which it would cost you to replace it, if something happened.

Either way fill us in on how you get your mac to europe.

Mike

zepkin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2004, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by G4ME:
New Hampshire

cmoney
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2004, 06:35 PM

what about transatlantic cruise ship?! i'm only half joking of course...

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2004, 08:22 PM

You're an American citizen then, right?

Why would the tax man care if you ship it? The U.S. won't charge duty on stuff that is leaving. And if you can get out of paying any Czech duty when you carry it with you by saying the item is for personal use (which is true after all), why can't you do the same thing when you ship it?

All they should care about it is that you're not going to sell it in Prague. If you were, then they'd want their cut.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2004, 09:08 PM

If your an American and have an American passport it doesn't sound like you should have any duty/customs problems. It's your computer, your an American, you bought it in America and you wish to take it with you to Prague. I'd keep it in the original box and check it in or add another layer of boxing if you really want. Mac computers are pretty safe in their original boxes. The main problem seems to be what if it gets lost. There's got to be an insurance company that would insure these type of things, it's only $5000 and it's only for a one-time trip.

You could try to take as carry-on, but that I would think would bring up security concerns. As one person mentioned, they want you to turn on all computers, cameras, and other electronic devices. It's hard to turn on a desktop without a monitor and it'll take time.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

namikun
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2004, 06:22 AM

Even if you are an American citizen it does not matter for customs. If you have your residence in the Czech Republic customs will treat you like a local national. (The visa in your passport serves as evidence of your residence). If you still insist you came to Czech for tourism and you are gonna leave again, they will require you to show them the G5 when you leave the country by going to the customs office at the airport on the day of your return to the States. Believe me, you would not want to carry this BIG THING around you again.

The Czech Republic will join the EU on May 1st which means that after that date you will be free to order from any reseller in Europe without paying Czech taxes (only the taxes of the country where you had ordered it). You could also take a drive to a neighbouring EU member state (with lower VAT) and purchase the G5 there.

"Even though Mac Users may be only 10% of market, always remember we are the top 10%"
Douglas Adams

brewsta  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2004, 09:45 AM

Thanks to everyone for all the opinions and experiences. This has been the most responsive board, by far, to my question.

Yeah, I'm trying hard to save $$ on tax and exchange rates, but the risks of trying to get the G5 with me on the plane do sound too high.

I knew I was going to gamble a bit, and thought I could talk my way through some obstables. But the odds of something going wrong just sound too scary. I'll start looking for Plan B.

I considered switching to the PowerBook, but I plan to do a lot video work and want the extra muscle and longevity.

Still, $5000 is big bucks and it just KILLS me to think about paying 22% tax on that. Plan B could be that my wife's friend has a company here that can buy without VAT and might talk him into making the purchase for me here.

I have one other shipping idea, but I do worry that if there is any problem with the machine, it is not covered in Prague and I am screwed on sending it back.

And regarding an earlier post, the airport customs here is virtually non-existent, but a big apple box might catch their eye. And the postal authorities here tax first and ask questions later. Hence, my not-to-be carry on plan.

So... the wheels in my head are turning. We shall see what results.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2004, 10:28 AM

Be sure to let us know what you work out, I'll be curious.

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2004, 04:56 PM

My experience,

So far I have bought 2 iPods, and a HP 17" laptop all shipped to Spain using Fedex. No problem at all. I have also flight to Spain with two bikes (almost new, but used). My record is a mainsail for a Tornado catamaran (13 feet long tube with a circumference of about a feet). I had to pay extra for that one though. But no customs problems (I'm spaniard).

The g5 is not bigger though. I would buy a PB, but the G5 is so much powerful.

Considering my past and in your case, I would bring wherever I think I need. I could carry a G5, but it is recommended to talk first to the airline, let them know, and be very nice to them. You want to carry it yourself. Be there very early and board early too. They could place it in the luggage closet that the crew uses. Get the box a little used feeling and if you can get a bill copy of a G5 purchase months ago, take it with you (some people around here may be nice enough) and show it to the customs people.

People don't be to too harsh to me...

-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Apr 22, 2004, 09:07 PM

(i am an American living in Australia)
Well I brought in a Bose Lifestyle 30 (in its box) from the USA to Australia, I even went to the declare line (this one evil woman spotted it and phoned ahead that i was coming).

I didn't have to pay sales tax because, I was an American citizine and when I leave australia I will take the Bose back with me :-). Bose was at the time much cheaper than it was in Australia.

Originally posted by brewsta:
Thanks for all the different thoughts. I know it sounds crazy, but the reason I wanted to try this is that I am an American living in Prague and I wanted to avoid the VAT of 22% (close to $1000 on a G5) here, plus lousy exhange rates.

I have had friends bring in electronic, laptops, etc. and avoid the tax at customs by either walking through or, when challenged, signing a document saying that it is not new and for personal use.

My idea was to take the G5 out of the box and put it on some wheels like they sell for carrying luggage -- stow the rest of the stuff in the checked bag. At the end of the day, if I Fedex/DHL it, I'd pay the shipping, plus the tax guy would get me for sure on the insured value. I could just as well buy it here then.

I checked the Delta carry on dimensions and it is legal, even on the weight (by a pound) except the depth is too much by four inches. The Delta woman on the phone thought that if they didn't let me carry it on, they might hand-check it to the cabin. Delta's website they will not insure a computer as checked luggage!

Still, the thought that security wouldn't let it through does give me pause with the carry on idea...

Forum Links
Forum Rules