Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Helpful Feedback

Helpful Feedback
rcantrell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2004, 11:00 AM

Background: I work for a marketing company. We have all our files currently in OS9 and using Quark 4. (we had moved up to Quark 5 and then had so many problems went back to Quark 4 - not happy campers )

We are now (drum roll please) moving up to OSX. We have decided to make the switch to InDesign CS. Our print suppliers are actually fairly positive about ID-CS (vs how they used to be). BTW, did I say that we have literally thousands of files we'll be switching?

Now my point of this post. (I'm sure you were wondering)

What helpful, contructive feedback can you give me before we start the switch? (not looking for soap box on how much you hate or love it )

I've seen mentioned that ID will leave out items when opened from a Q4 file. Are there specifics as to which items? Anyone do this kind of massive undertaking recently have words of wisdom to impart? Other problems or ways that you might think would help us transition?

I'm trying to make sure we don't create a Quark 5 debaucle again so your input is greatly appreciated. (if only I would have read your posts before starting that attempt)

Thanks again,
Rosie

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2004, 12:34 PM

I have only done a little of this.
Quark did not play cooperatively. [I blame QXD - force of habit]

rebuildrebuildrebuild... I hope I read something more constructive than that on this thread.

I will say that we did not abandon the old files. We frequently return to Classic to get tasks done in the old programs. We approach the rebuild with caution but when we are relaunching or updating a launch we rebuild at that time. Saves a bunch of useless time and money.

I would love to hear that someone has developed a conversion plugin for this very purpose.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2004, 01:34 PM

why don't you just continue using quark when working on old stuff and do all new stuff with cs?

rcantrell  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2004, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by godzookie2k:
why don't you just continue using quark when working on old stuff and do all new stuff with cs?
We're considering doing new "Bases" rebuilt in CS. The only problem is that our clients have, over time, individualized their layouts and it's difficult to always pick-up on those changes. We do alot of creative where they will test all sorts of versions and tweak endlessly.

But it's not without doing if it makes the transition work. It just allows room for error that we might miss something they had asked for previously.

I could be incorrect, but even though our vendors handle both now... Could they handle files in combination being two different workflows in a high volume? Might be ok, I'll have check.

Question: Do you run into any problems running Quark 4 in Classic mode within OSX? Fonts are handled for both through OSX or are they activated within each OS? (wondering why I don't know this?... we're waiting on our new computers to come in before we move up in OS)

Definitely food for thought! Thanks for responding.

Rosie

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 23, 2004, 03:01 PM

well it is the end of June so you probably already figured this out . . .

Quark4 runs fine under Classic when launched through OSX

This is my experience:
I am running Panther 10.3.4, OS9 is 9.2.2. I only use Extensis Suitcase X11, not FontBook or anything else. I have the Suitcase Bridge installed in the System Folder. I also have the Acrobat Panther.PPD installed for making PDFs.

Within Suitcase because of all the fonts installed by OSX, I have manage system fonts turned on through Tools. See: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=215245

I have not had any trouble at all. In fact, Q4 still runs better than Q6.

rcantrell  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2004, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by eyevaan:
well it is the end of June so you probably already figured this out . . .
Actually we're still in the process. We've 2 of our 4 new machines in and are trying to test our workflows to make sure there are no huge hiccups to deal with. (and work at the same time) <ug.>

So, thank you for your response. Learning from someone who already knows that a set up works helps keep us going in the right direction.

You said you have Acrobat Panther.PPD for making PDFs. Previously we have ripped PS files and then distilled to create the PDF. I'm still getting up to speed on the latest with OSX and PDFs but I understand that Panther can make it's own PDFs. Are these different from Acrobat PDFs and or is it just an easier way to make PDFs?

Hopefully that kinda makes sense. I feel like I'm telling the joke about who's on first and who's on second. (which I don't think I ever really understood.) ahh I digress.

Thanks to anyone who has a response.

Rosie

Forum Links
Forum Rules