Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > So, if you had 1500.00 to spend...

So, if you had 1500.00 to spend...
cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 9, 2003, 05:50 PM

Topic says it. I will have approx. 1500 to spend on a new powerbook. I don't need anything until after the 16th, so waiting for the expo isn't a problem..If anything, I should prob. wait for the expo just so if they DO release anything, the price on the others will go down. If Apple doesn't release anything, do I just for the 12" (edu price is 1399)? Thanks for your thoughts. Oh, I will be using whichever powerbook I get for school, internet, etc, MAYBE some Warcraft 3 Action.

Thanks,

cs
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2003, 05:58 PM

I would pick up a used 15" 800mhz.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2003, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by ae86_16v:
I would pick up a used 15" 800mhz.
I agree. The 800 has Airport installed, you'll usually get extra RAM included for that price, and it's a nice machine.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2003, 06:02 PM

Also the .edu prices are rarely all that good of a deal, because you have to pay ~ 8% sales tax (unless you live in a friendly state like Oregon or NH). If you insist on new instead of used, you can usually do better with a refurb or a package deal from a reseller.

cSurfr  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 9, 2003, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by Mithras:
I agree. The 800 has Airport installed, you'll usually get extra RAM included for that price, and it's a nice machine.
Will warcraft III and Frozen throne be playable with only 32mb vram ? Also, the classes I am taking are graphic design, so the extra screen estate would be nice. Like I said before, games aren't a huge thing, but everyone likes to take a break once in a while. let me know if you can.

Thanks again

cs
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2003, 06:44 PM

I have a 17" so I'm not sure how the 12" will run on games, someone here should be able to answer you that question. I don't see any problems at all though playing WCIII with it. I would see if they have the new 15". If they do, than that would be a good one to pick up, otherwise, the 12inch is also good as well.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

MacsGalor
Senior User
Sep 9, 2003, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by cSurfr:
Will warcraft III and Frozen throne be playable with only 32mb vram ? Also, the classes I am taking are graphic design, so the extra screen estate would be nice. Like I said before, games aren't a huge thing, but everyone likes to take a break once in a while. let me know if you can.

Thanks again

cs
Should play without a problem I have played it with a 12" powerbook and they have 32mb also

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2003, 08:30 PM

I'd find a buddy who works at appel or an apple repair place, get them to get u a 12' PB, they can get em for about 1200, get a new printer, isight, and speakers. withthe left over.

cSurfr  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 9, 2003, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by Liquidity X:
I'd find a buddy who works at appel or an apple repair place, get them to get u a 12' PB, they can get em for about 1200, get a new printer, isight, and speakers. withthe left over.
One of my friends does work for an Apple retail store if this is what you are talking about.. I'll have to shoot him an email and see if this is correct.

Thanks!

vsurfer
Senior User
Sep 9, 2003, 09:26 PM

Some kine o' used 15"
if u lucki

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2003, 12:07 AM

Originally posted by cSurfr:

Thanks again

cs
I am assuming you are talking about the extra screen space as in the 17" since the 12" only has 32mb vram of ram as well where as the 17" has 64mb. I doubt you'll find a 17" for $1500 though.

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2003, 12:13 AM

My girls young bro played WC3 and it runs fine for him on his 12' and thereis NO way u will find a lagit 17' for under 2500 and thats apple internal discont.

cSurfr  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2003, 12:24 AM

My girls young bro played WC3 and it runs fine for him on his 12' and thereis NO way u will find a lagit 17' for under 2500 and thats apple internal discont.
I was in fact talking about the 15". For some reason I was thinking that the 12" had 64mb vram. Long day I guess. Liquidity...Can you find out, or do you know if he has to turn all the settings down in order to make the game playable? That would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

cs

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2003, 12:32 AM

He/She was talking about 1500 not 2500.

cSurfr  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2003, 12:33 AM

Originally posted by ae86_16v:
He/She was talking about 1500 not 2500.
He.

Forum Links
Forum Rules