Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Teen fakes BMW theft to get Bentley

Teen fakes BMW theft to get Bentley
Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 02:29 PM

Source

Police: Teen faked BMW theft to buy Bentley
Friday, April 22, 2005 Posted: 0007 GMT (0807 HKT)

SEATTLE, Washington (Reuters) -- A 17 year-old high school student faked the theft of his 2002 BMW M3 in order to collect insurance money to upgrade to a Bentley, police said on Thursday.

The teen, a student of Skyline High School in Sammamish, a suburb of Seattle, had reported the car stolen earlier this week, said Michael Chiu, a spokesman for the police in Bellevue, another suburb located between Seattle and Sammamish.

Police in another town found the $47,000 BMW being stripped and arrested four suspects, who connected the teen to the theft, leading to his arrest.

"That investigation led us to believe that he wanted to upgrade to a Bentley," Chiu said.

Bentleys, featured frequently in U.S. hip-hop videos, have a suggested retail price of $160,000 for the Continental GT coupe and $240,000 for the Arnage sedan.

The BMW was in the name of the teen's mother name but was used as his vehicle, Chiu said. The student was released to his mother, and prosecutors are considering charges.

Garage81
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2005, 02:41 PM

wish i wouldve thought of that when i was 17.

****, wish i had a m3 when i was 17. actually, i wish i had a car when i was 17.

Mac Mini : 1.66 Core Duo : 2 GB ♥

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2005, 02:45 PM

Kid should stay in school, cuz his math sucks.

Stolen Bimmer + insurance money= New Bentley

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 02:47 PM

This person deserves a Ford Festiva (aka "Pregant Bubble"):

historylme
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2005, 02:55 PM

The kid deserves to go on foot.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by history1me
...backwards, up-hill, in the snow.

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2005, 03:05 PM

I thought in seattle they all drove VW hippie vans.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2005, 03:10 PM

I find this story very amusing. Maybe the mom will sue 50 Cent for being in the videos that led her son to do this

Originally Posted by history1me

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 03:12 PM

Another spoiled rich brat, who's parents obviously haven't a clue either.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2005, 03:13 PM

Kid should stay in school, cuz his math sucks.

Stolen Bimmer + insurance money= New Bentley

If you chopped an M3, you could quite possibly (and possibly easily) get over $100k for the parts.
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

OreoCookie
Apr 22, 2005, 04:54 PM

How stupid is that guy? If I had an M3 ... I mean, if I had a car ...
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2005, 05:08 PM

He needs a nice boot to the head.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 22, 2005, 05:26 PM

I mean, jeez, like a recent Bimmer isn't good enough.

Stupid spoiled brat.

tooki

andi*pandi
Apr 22, 2005, 05:39 PM

his folks should pull his license, and make him ride the bus, and earn the money himself if he wants another car.

Nick
Apr 22, 2005, 06:04 PM

The article is a bit misleading. If the insurance value of an M3 = a Continental then I think we'd see a lot more Bentlys around.... I doubt he got a new Bently.

Kenneth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by BoomStick
I thought in seattle they all drove VW hippie vans.
The Camry, #1 selling car in the Pacific NW.

VW cars are popular here, but I see so many Audi, Bimmers, Porsche Cayenne, '05 TL, H2, etc in the State of WA.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2005, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by ManOfSteal

http://auto.consumerguide.com/images...1991202LRG.jpg
One of the substitute teachers at my school drives one of those

Its funny because the sub that drives it must be at least 300 lbs... its very comical to see her getting into it.

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 22, 2005, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by ManOfSteal

I used to own a Ford Fiesta. Ahhh... the memories.

(not me in pic)

memory-minus
Senior User
Apr 22, 2005, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Skip Breakfast
If you chopped an M3, you could quite possibly (and possibly easily) get over $100k for the parts.
I should go into business chopping $50k M3s and selling the parts for $100k... wow... who knew!

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 09:56 PM

Kids and expensive cars... two things to keep far apart. Remember a couple weeks ago that kid who crashed his new Viper (and killed his passenger)?

Back when I was 16-17 years old, my father drove a Porsche 928 (new at the time). I remember taking it for a few joy rides myself. I'm amazed I survived (and that the car made it intact, too).

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 22, 2005, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
Kids and expensive cars... two things to keep far apart. Remember a couple weeks ago that kid who crashed his new Viper (and killed his passenger)?
Nope, but anyone that gives a kid a Viper needs smacked.

Kenneth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
All my friends, which I met back in high school, started out and drove Audi S4, TT, Lexus IS300, Infiniti G35, Bimmer, and Mercedes E-class. Heck, I didn't even have my own ride until my last 2 years of college which I moved away from home. It was a '95 Nissan Sentra.

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2005, 04:08 AM

Yeah how exactly does this work? If you could chop an M3 and get $100K, there would be people buying up M3's and chopping them. If the kid was gonna get insurance money, he'd get just enough to cover any liens on the car plus the difference or the value of the vehicle. That's the principle of indemnification at work. Maybe he just wasn't exactly too smart...

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 23, 2005, 10:10 AM

What's with kids in general "needing" cars, anyway? I always walked to school. Now the high school next to my house has a huge parking lot for students' cars! WHY? There's bus service (that my tax money pays for!) and this part of town is quite amenable to walking. There can't be that many high school students that have jobs they must get to immediately after school (because I see how they behave when they get out of class-they ain't going to work!).

And a 17 year old with an M3?!?!?! His parents need a kick in the rear for letting him have such a car. Most adults aren't up to driving an M3 to its potential, so it's just wasted on a kid.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Kenneth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2005, 01:48 PM

according to what I heard from the local news station, those kids were amateurs. They just couldn't do the math.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2005, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi
his folks should pull his license, and make him ride the bus, and earn the money himself if he wants another car.
His folks are the ones that gave him the car...

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2005, 07:55 PM

Maybe he was going to use the insurance money as a down payment on the Bentley. Then simply use his allowance money to make the rest of the payments.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 23, 2005, 09:02 PM

Did he put an aftermarket spoiler on the BMW? That alone would have made it worth $240000.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2005, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by E's Lil Theorem
Maybe he was going to use the insurance money as a down payment on the Bentley. Then simply use his allowance money to make the rest of the payments.
I'd think the Bentley dealer would have to be incredibly dishonest to sell a car to a 17y/o who has a 100 grand to put as a down payment.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 23, 2005, 09:17 PM

Can I be first in line to slap the parents? PLEASE!!!??? "Giving" a kid a hugely expensive car (that's in a class well beyond most drivers) is the height of irresponsibility. That he could even contemplate moving to a Bentley means that this "family" has probably just given him anything needed to shut him up. That's not parenting, that's selfishness directed at a child.

pant, pant, pant. Ooooooooo! This still makes me mad!

Nick
Apr 23, 2005, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
And a 17 year old with an M3?!?!?! His parents need a kick in the rear for letting him have such a car. Most adults aren't up to driving an M3 to its potential, so it's just wasted on a kid.
Not really -- they're among the demographic willing to drive such vehicles to the limit (i.e. risk death).

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2005, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR
I'd think the Bentley dealer would have to be incredibly dishonest to sell a car to a 17y/o who has a 100 grand to put as a down payment.

I'd think the Bentley dealer wouldn't give a rat's ass who he's selling the car to; money talks.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 24, 2005, 10:36 AM

Nick, even if someone is "willing to drive such vehicles to the limit," that does not mean that he CAN do so. The limit is where BMW's engineers built the machine to perform, and that's pretty serious driving. From the standpoint of being a parent of a new driver (and we waited until well after his 17th birthday for that), I can tell you that the BASIC reflexive driving skills take a long time to build-some sources say as much as two years. Such basics are far below the capabilities of an M3. In fact the M3 will handle situations that would have spun out or flipped a more conventional car without the driver noticing that he's pushed the envelope that hard. Hell, a standard 3-series will do that. Put the extra power the M3 has into the mix, and you're asking for trouble. Why the bleep didn't they get him a Volvo instead? The new ones have some very nice styling (not "cool" in the way an M3 is...), and they're still very forgiving of oversteer, late braking, and all the other things an inexperienced driver can do. Risking death is NOT a requirement for getting to school, and unfortunately a bad driver headed to school is dangerous to all the other students as well.

Karl, I agree wholeheartedly except for the point that in most places in the US it takes an adult-18 or over-to sign the title paperwork when buying a car. The kid's parents would have to have been behind him in order for his plan to have worked. I wonder if he did the math on THAT piece of the equation!

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2005, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Garage81
i wish i had thought of that when i was 17.
Fixed.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2005, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by KarlG
Another spoiled rich brat, whose parents obviously haven't a clue either.
Fixed.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2005, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by KarlG
I'd think the Bentley dealer wouldn't give a rat's ass who he's selling the car to; money talks.
Indeed, and he could probably be sued for discrimination or something if he refused.

Nick
Apr 24, 2005, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Nick, even if someone is "willing to drive such vehicles to the limit," that does not mean that he CAN do so. The limit is where BMW's engineers built the machine to perform, and that's pretty serious driving. From the standpoint of being a parent of a new driver (and we waited until well after his 17th birthday for that), I can tell you that the BASIC reflexive driving skills take a long time to build-some sources say as much as two years. Such basics are far below the capabilities of an M3. In fact the M3 will handle situations that would have spun out or flipped a more conventional car without the driver noticing that he's pushed the envelope that hard. Hell, a standard 3-series will do that. Put the extra power the M3 has into the mix, and you're asking for trouble. Why the bleep didn't they get him a Volvo instead? The new ones have some very nice styling (not "cool" in the way an M3 is...), and they're still very forgiving of oversteer, late braking, and all the other things an inexperienced driver can do. Risking death is NOT a requirement for getting to school, and unfortunately a bad driver headed to school is dangerous to all the other students as well.

Karl, I agree wholeheartedly except for the point that in most places in the US it takes an adult-18 or over-to sign the title paperwork when buying a car. The kid's parents would have to have been behind him in order for his plan to have worked. I wonder if he did the math on THAT piece of the equation!
Well yes, the reason a Volvo would be safer is because it is FWD (or AWD with a front wheel bias). The Volvo is also more likely to understeer due to its weight distribution. I guess then he was making the safe choice by going to the AWD Bentley

But in all seriousness, you're right MOST young people are not experienced enough to drive a sports car hard. But it's not impossible -- afterall, there are young people who do all sorts of professional vehicle sports such as auto racing. But the average "rich kid" is often a pretty crummy driver.

Forum Links
Forum Rules