Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Forbes: Richest Cities In The U.S.

Forbes: Richest Cities In The U.S.
Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2005, 08:26 PM

No. 1: San Jose, Calif.
No. 2: Anchorage, Alaska
No. 3: San Francisco, Calif.
No. 4: Virginia Beach, Va.
No. 5: San Diego, Calif.
No. 6: Anaheim, Calif.
No. 7: Raleigh, N.C.
No. 8: Seattle, Wash.
No. 9: Washington, D.C.
No. 10: Honolulu, Hawaii

So New York is nowhere on the list...

Full article

Discuss™

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2005, 08:35 PM

The list is based on household median incomes: meaning the less ghetto each city has, the higher on the list it will be. Of course NY, Miami, LA won't be on there...

List should be renamed to "best cities to live if you don't want your kids doing crack."

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2005, 09:57 PM

I'd have to agree. I grew up in San Jose, and I LOVE it there. Lived there for 19 years before it became to expensive. Although I think Milpitas (after the beautification in the late 80s) is a lot nicer than San Jose. The only problem with San Jose is theft. You can't leave ANYTHING alone for 20 seconds without someone' lifting it. I went through 5 bikes in 1 year when I lived there. 3 had the chains or lock cut with the bike stolen (yeah, how the hell do people do that in broad daylight?!) and 2 bikes were stolen right out of my backyard. 1 of the bikes stolen out of my backyard was ALSO chained up. Theft is horrible there.

However, I still love it. There was always something to do. The nicest theatre I've ever been to (well, technically it's in Santa Clara) is the AMC Mercado. Very big, roomy seats with individual arm rests and cup holders. Nice incline that the seats are on, so no seat is a bad seat. My friend, Louie, likes it cuz he's 6'somethingtall" (Volleyball, NOT basketball. He'll kick your ass if you ask him if he plays basketball) and even HE can stretch his legs there. In the main theatres the screans are HUGE. Sound is awesome too. They have digital projectors there now, too.

The public transit is decent too (for America.) The Lightrail runs 24/7 which is nice, and it goes through every major part of San Jose. Now it's really cool cuz they have it elevated going down Park Victoria past the (not so) Great Mall. It's really nice.

The only thing that really sucks about San Jose is that they took down the giant ball contraption thingy in front of the Tech Museum. WHAT THE F*CK?! That thing was so cool!

OK, my brain's overloading from memories so I'll stop there.

San Jose is nifty.

GO SHARKS!!!!
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 3, 2005, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Kenneth
No. 2: Anchorage, Alaska

Discuss™
WTF?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2005, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
However, I still love it. There was always something to do. The nicest theatre I've ever been to (well, technically it's in Santa Clara) is the AMC Mercado. Very big, roomy seats with individual arm rests and cup holders. Nice incline that the seats are on, so no seat is a bad seat. My friend, Louie, likes it cuz he's 6'somethingtall" (Volleyball, NOT basketball. He'll kick your ass if you ask him if he plays basketball) and even HE can stretch his legs there. In the main theatres the screans are HUGE. Sound is awesome too. They have digital projectors there now, too.
I think I saw Willy Wonka in that Theatre.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

mojo2
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2005, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by rozwado1
The list is based on household median incomes: meaning the less ghetto each city has, the higher on the list it will be. Of course NY, Miami, LA won't be on there...

List should be renamed to "best cities to live if you don't want your kids doing crack."
San Francisco? Please! Washington, D.C.? I don't know how it is today, but DC used to be the murder capitol of the U.S. They have MUCH crack! Ask former Mayor and now Councilman, Marion Berry.
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2005, 10:42 PM

In my experience, kids in higher income neighborhoods are usually more into drugs. Why? They can actually afford it.

Back in Seattle I knew a few people who went to University Prep (the high school for millionaires). They said everyone there did drugs.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2005, 10:50 PM

At college all the kids I knew who did a lot of drugs in both college and high school were rich punk kids who had all gone to private prep schools. Drugs were used because their lives were sooo tough...

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2005, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by goMac
In my experience, kids in higher income neighborhoods are usually more into drugs. Why? They can actually afford it.

Back in Seattle I knew a few people who went to University Prep (the high school for millionaires). They said everyone there did drugs.
Same thing in my area.

The public HS kids drink beer and smoke pot, those who go to Tabor Academy do coke instead, cuz they can afford it.

ApplCmptrDood
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2005, 01:17 AM

Woo hoo, two blocks away from SJ!
Apparently, I'm a sig violator. I feel honored. Oops.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 4, 2005, 05:47 AM

amen to public high school - I hosted the bong sessions daily.

I'd live in San Fran if I had loot. or the NorthEast. or somewhere maybe.
ice

Salty
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2005, 11:39 AM

I never understood how kids can afford so many drugs.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2005, 12:00 PM

A very interesting list.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2005, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure
amen to public high school - I hosted the bong sessions daily.

I'd live in San Fran if I had loot. or the NorthEast. or somewhere maybe.
If you move to the Northeast I believe there is a blunt session in order

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 4, 2005, 07:09 PM

For sure.. I want to grow a beard and sit on a porch while a fire burns.

"Let us burn one from end to end/ and pass it over to me my friend"
ice

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2005, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure
For sure.. I want to grow a beard and sit on a porch while a fire burns.

"Let us burn one from end to end/ and pass it over to me my friend"
One of my old "friends" (we really just made fun of him) used to refer (pun intended) to them as "end-ta-endahs" or end-to-enders...but you need to say it in a Southeast Ma accent to fully appreciate it.

I can't grow a beard and my front porch is kinda weak...

To keep on topic, New Bedford used ot be one of the richest cities in the world during the whaling days...now its just the Meth/Heroin capital of the East Coast

Forum Links
Forum Rules