Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Increasing Airport power

Increasing Airport power
Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2006, 05:32 PM

I have a MacBook. I would like to increase the power fo the tranciever in my Mcabook, to as much as 1W, although any increase would be nice. How would I do this, and are there any less invasive methods for getting better reception?

rjt1000
Senior User
Nov 15, 2006, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tuoder View Post
I have a MacBook....are there any less invasive methods for getting better reception?
This is pricey but might be worth consideration if you really need better reception and dont want to break out the soldering iron.

Also this site might give you some other ideas (like antennas and boosters for your base station)

USB dongles with directional antennas like this one might also help.
( Last edited by rjt1000; Nov 15, 2006 at 10:46 PM. )

Tuoder  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2006, 11:27 AM

The first is pricey, as well as big and heavy-looking. I like the idea of having that much pwer, though. That is, if they bothered to list the amount of power it had. The second isn't going to help me so much, because I don't have a base station. I use Wi-Fi at school, and downtown, where there is a coffee shop, and in most of the rest of downtown, where there is free town-administered Wi-Fi. I have a problem connecting at school when outside. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Also, when it works, it works slllloooowwwly. In downtown, I have the other problem, I go inside and reception sucks. Sometimes I get it to work by moving to a window, etc, but it is sllooow, when it works. Sometimes, especially inside, connections can be intermittent. This si why I seek just a bit more range/power. I like the last link.

I like this better:
:: QuickerTek :: Antennas :: MacBook Pro 17 Antenna ::

You brought me to the site that has it. Unfortunately, they don't have one that they advertise as working with the MacBook. The thing is, I wonder if it isn't more or less universal? I wish the install guide was available online. Also, it is expensive. Antennas are not worth that much. I wonder if I could find a laptop-mountable antenna that I could use like that. I would need to mod it to get it to work with the internal card, voiding my warranty.

Any other ideas?

rjt1000
Senior User
Nov 17, 2006, 05:58 PM

I was under the impression that the MacBooks with their plastic case had great wi-fi reception. Are other users able to connect easily in the places that are a challenge for your MacBook?

If you think its just a matter of trying to pull in legitmately weak signals, the Hawking USB dongle with 5 dB gain and directional antenna would be my suggestion, if you can find it.

The difficulty of installing the quikertek antenna depends on how easy it is to get at the antenna connection on the airport extreme card, having the right connector and wire length and then how you would string the wire so that it isn't perpetually in the way. The fact that there isn't a model made for the MacBook may mean it is not technically practical. In any event, not worth voiding the warranty in my opinion.
( Last edited by rjt1000; Nov 17, 2006 at 06:15 PM. )

Tuoder  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2006, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by rjt1000 View Post
I was under the impression that the MacBooks with their plastic case had great wi-fi reception. Are other users able to connect easily in the places that are a challenge for your MacBook?
I consider the reception to be relatively good. I can connect in many places that others get no recption at all. But, that certainly doesn't mean that is good enough for me. Especially when I am barely out of range in some of the places that I want to be. Get the idea? I don't care about where other people get reception. In fact, I want to get better reception than anyone.

Originally Posted by rjt1000
If you think its just a matter of trying to pull in legitmately weak signals, the Hawking USB dongle with 5 dB gain and directional antenna would be my suggestion, if you can find it.
That is the other problem that makes things difficult. If I can avoid external, I will. That is the thing though. I would be more apt to take apart an external than an internal to do an antenna mod.

Perhaps it would more productive to ask what is the most powerful adapter with Mac drivers?

Forum Links
Forum Rules