Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Not happy about Jaguar

Not happy about Jaguar
HiDDeN
Oct 7, 2002, 01:15 PM

I'm not so happy with Jag. Instead of inproving X with it, I think it's one of the most money sceeming things that ever happened.
Since I got Jag on my mac, things tend to go slower (much slower) and i've had some crashes. (the ones that the magic key combination can't fix) I mean total crashes. I'm really not happy with it. I also think the OS has a very slugish feel over it sice I upgraded. (Or should I say downgraded?)

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2002, 01:26 PM

Sorry to hear of your woes. Something is amiss with your installation as everything you state as a problem is totally the opposite of my many experiences with Jaguar. I am a sys admin in a medium sized software publishing company and have installed Jag on all of our OSX macs.

Subzero Diesel949
Oct 7, 2002, 01:27 PM

Umm, what's your setup?

I've installed Jag on my iBook 600 and 300, a G4 800, and an older iMac G3, and they have all been chugging along without problems.

HiDDeN  (op)
Oct 7, 2002, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by Subzero Diesel949:
Umm, what's your setup?

I've installed Jag on my iBook 600 and 300, a G4 800, and an older iMac G3, and they have all been chugging along without problems.
I have an iMac DV 400, 256 MB, 10 gig HD

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2002, 02:22 PM

Do you have a lot of fonts installed on your Mac? This is one thing I know that can affect the performance, especially when launching applications.

VRL
Senior User
Oct 7, 2002, 02:27 PM

Been running Jag on a Powerbook 400 with the same amount of RAM. It is the best OS I've ever used on it!

Can you be more specific?? What software are you using when you "crash"?
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

oVeRmInD911
Senior User
Oct 7, 2002, 03:05 PM

Did you do a clean install? When I first installed it over OS 10.1.5, it ran like utter crap, and crashed a lot. After a clean install, though, it runs perfectly.

Timothy Maxwell
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2002, 01:24 AM

I installed Jaguar on my Ti800 and my PowerBook G3 Lombard. They are both working extremely well.
Timothy Maxwell
Bankers Mortgage Corporation
FHA Direct Lenders • No Down Payment • Bad Credit OK

Visit us on the Web at http://www.Bankersmc.com

Subzero Diesel949
Oct 8, 2002, 01:28 AM

Originally posted by oVeRmInD911:
Did you do a clean install? When I first installed it over OS 10.1.5, it ran like utter crap, and crashed a lot. After a clean install, though, it runs perfectly.
Hmmm...I installed Jag on all of the Macs I mentioned - on top of 10.1.5 - and none of them have issues.

Oh yeah, add a G4 400 to the list.

HiDDeN  (op)
Oct 8, 2002, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by VRL:
Been running Jag on a Powerbook 400 with the same amount of RAM. It is the best OS I've ever used on it!

Can you be more specific?? What software are you using when you "crash"?
Usually when i'm running Limewire or iTunnes

mediahound
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2002, 03:24 PM

i updated 10.1.5 to 10.2 and then 10.2.1 and my system runs speedy. i don't know why some have complained that doing this slowed them down.

swiz
GUI Punk
Oct 8, 2002, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by HiDDeN:
I'm not so happy with Jag. Instead of inproving X with it, I think it's one of the most money sceeming things that ever happened.
Since I got Jag on my mac, things tend to go slower (much slower) and i've had some crashes. (the ones that the magic key combination can't fix) I mean total crashes. I'm really not happy with it. I also think the OS has a very slugish feel over it sice I upgraded. (Or should I say downgraded?)
Any time you install a new OS which most people swear up and down is fantastic and yours is not, it is always the best bet that your install went awry and you should do it again but this time with a backup (CDR, DVD-R) and reformat and install again.

Then complain.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

sgrup
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2002, 07:07 AM

is a clean install really that important or will installing over 10.1.5 work just as fine - i know different people have had different views on this but is there any reason why a clean install should be any better performance-wise?

s

Cipher13
Oct 9, 2002, 07:29 AM

G4 400, iBook 600, iMac 600.

All improved over 10.1.5, except in the networking arena.

Reinstall, clean... installing over 10.1.5 is pretty messy. Who knows what files remain? Leaving preferences et al can't be a good thing.

winterlandia
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2002, 08:38 AM

I had a wonderfully stable 10.1.5 setup (733, 768mb ram) going and then upgraded to 10.2. Dog slow. Clean installed 10.2 and updates. Runs like a charm now.. except for the newest Internet explorer which is a total dog--sometimes I'll see the beach ball so long I have to kill it. Glad I only paid $70 for the upgrade, I don't frankly notice many of the enhancements other than I can have my Marine Aquarium running as my desktop pattern without much problem due to qe.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2002, 09:28 AM

I installed over 10.1.5 and everything went well... I'm 100% sure my system will be faster when I do a clean reinstall in a few weeks (when I finally get my legit copy of Photoshop...) My work is years behind...

Appleman
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2002, 10:43 AM

Did a clean install on Ti500: great

Did upgrade on iMac233 from 10.1.5: sometime awfully slow when being in iPhoto. Should do a clean install on that too perhaps, but since I use the 120 MB harddisk in it as a backup, I first need to burn lots of cd�s...

Generally I think Cipher is right: keeping all the pref�s and so on can�t be a good / healthy thing. Try a clean install.

mediahound
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2002, 11:39 AM

in my case, i didn't have that many prefs to begin with since i was only on X for about a week before i got jaguar, so i just updated 10.1.5 and all seems well-speedy, no crashes at all.

one thing i did do was run an app called DeLocalizer to remove all the extra languages that came pre-installed on my G4 with X. i don't know if this makes it any faster, but it saved me over 500MB of space.

for future reference though, how do i do a clean install of jaguar without having to re-install all my apps?
( Last edited by mediahound; Oct 9, 2002 at 11:44 AM. )

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2002, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by mediahound:
for future reference though, how do i do a clean install of jaguar without having to re-install all my apps?
Assuming you back up your Applications folder to some external media (a CD/DVD, another partition, another drive etc.) you can simply copy the contents back to the Applications folder in your freshly installed system. However, if you're doing this over a later version of OS X, say 10.3 when that comes out, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to replace the Apple apps, as new versions would be in the folder and the older versions might not work anymore. Also, whilst most apps will survive the transition, some, such as Stuffit Deluxe and Photoshop, need to be installed using their respective installers. But many apps can just be dragged from your back up and will work fine.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

IamBob
Senior User
Oct 9, 2002, 12:57 PM

Over all, I love Jag. It's fast & stable on both my machines.

But, there is one thing...

I can't share my dial-up anymore. I had it all setup so that natd restarted (?) when my connection went up and it was bliss...

If the main box was connected, so was my other computer.
If it wasn't connected I could ssh in to the main box and jump-start the connection with [sudo osascript -e 'tell application "Internet Connect"' -e "connect" -e "end tell"]...

Now, my other box doesn't get the link. Even when I turn on Internet Sharing...nada. I did an upgrade install for the main box in hopes that I wouldn't lose the nice network settings I had...but noooo!

Lost time trying to figure this out...again. Has anyone been able to reliably (& without fuss) share a dial-up connection?

garetjax
Oct 9, 2002, 03:24 PM

I'm always leery about doing OS reinstalls. Other than your personal folders, which applications or system files, if any, should you back up before a clean install? I use Filemaker, Office v.X, and Explorer on OS 10.1.5 and network with a Powermac server running OS 9.2.2 on a daily basis at work.

czern0b0g
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2002, 05:46 PM

getting back to the original poster, i find it hard to believe that no one has mentioned the *SLIGHT* possibility that running limewire and (even "or" in some cases) itunes on an imac dv 400 while attempting to do anything else "worthwhile" (ie. photoshop or the already-ungodly-slow illustrator) mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmight have something to do with his perceived lackluster performance.

i wouldn't expect miracles with that machine. sorry.

and as a slight side note (sorry to hijack/rant), who else is getting tired of hearing people with dual 800's reassuring everyone else (x<533mhz g4) that *.app works "just fine"? yeah, me too.

sja777
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2002, 07:21 PM

I find Jaguar rocks. I'd second those who suggest a full backup, reformatted hard drive and a clean install.

Sorry.

Stephen
I have no signature.

file
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2002, 07:29 PM

jaguar to me has improved in every area and especially speed

you're of the small percentage that has problems

tell your kid i challenge him to a beer drinking contest anytime anywhere! :mad:

Forum Links
Forum Rules