Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > DV on an iMac DV SE with Panther, possible?

DV on an iMac DV SE with Panther, possible?
Tuoder
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2006, 01:02 PM

Soon I will be starting a little indie film project. I will be borrowing a MiniDV camcorder from a friend for it. I don't need any spectacular effects or anything. I am just going to do some linear editing. Do you guys think my iMac is up to the task? It is an iMac DV SE (G3-400Mhz, 256MB SDRAM, 40GB 5400RPM HDD, 10.3.9). I realize that DV is right there in the name, but that was with OS 8.6 and iMovie 2, not OS X and iMovie 4. I found a prog that will shut off finder for the last little bit of RAM, but do you think it will be enough?

edavis
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2006, 03:28 PM

I did some editing on my iMac DV SE (G3-500MHz) with iMovie. It was not too bad. The problem was you won't be able to burn a DVD off the machine, but can play the finished movie back to tape.

Tuoder  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2006, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by edavis
I did some editing on my iMac DV SE (G3-500MHz) with iMovie. It was not too bad. The problem was you won't be able to burn a DVD off the machine, but can play the finished movie back to tape.
Did you do it with OS X? I can burn everything on my Dad's PC, so I have that base covered.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2006, 10:37 PM

I use to run iMovie 3 & Panther on my old iMac DV SE (400mhz) back in the day. Panther is probably the best OS you can run on that machine. Obviously rendering transitions and titles in iMovie was a little slow. However, it handled simple editing just fine. I would suggest you that least double your ram. I know the minimum requirements for iMovie 4 is 256mb but that is really pushing it. You can get an extra 256mb for under $30 today. I highly recommend it.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Tuoder  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2006, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman
I use to run iMovie 3 & Panther on my old iMac DV SE (400mhz) back in the day. Panther is probably the best OS you can run on that machine. Obviously rendering transitions and titles in iMovie was a little slow. However, it handled simple editing just fine. I would suggest you that least double your ram. I know the minimum requirements for iMovie 4 is 256mb but that is really pushing it. You can get an extra 256mb for under $30 today. I highly recommend it.
Yeah, I planned on adding RAM anyway. I sort of expect it to be slow, but that doesn't really bother me too much, as it is not a mission critical thing to get this thing to edit quickly. I was going to add some RAM 512MB at a time. I want to just max it out because I multitask alot, usually, and I have been a bit limited in that respect on this machine. Thank you for your advice and input.

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 23, 2006, 05:19 AM

Used iMovie 2 and 4 (iMovie 3 never ran well for me) under Panther a fair bit on an iMac DV 450. Worked well. It's just slow.

I'd consider getting hold of iMovie 2 if you can, might be a bit snappier.

Tuoder  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2006, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by ism
Used iMovie 2 and 4 (iMovie 3 never ran well for me) under Panther a fair bit on an iMac DV 450. Worked well. It's just slow.

I'd consider getting hold of iMovie 2 if you can, might be a bit snappier.
I might if I can, I am on the tightest of budgets. $0 is my allocation to the project. I am strictly using things that I have access to for free.

Forum Links
Forum Rules