Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > How to access iPhone with forgotten password?

How to access iPhone with forgotten password?
ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2020, 11:18 AM

My wife got a new work phone around the time we moved to a new house last year, and during the move she shoved her old iPhone 6s in a box and it disappeared until we found it this weekend.

Unfortunately she can’t remember the password. The 6s obviously isn’t worth much, but I’d love to use it as a plugged-in music control point in the kitchen or garage or something like that. Is it possible to get it back up and running without having the password, or reset it remotely somehow? Cheers.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 8, 2020, 01:22 PM

I'd plug it in to a computer and do a wipe it locally. That will let you set it up the way you want. A remote wipe through "Find My iPhone" will let you restore the phone later, but you still need the phone's password to do it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2020, 02:28 AM

Glenn’s got it.

You may have to put it in recovery mode...

iPhone 6s or earlier, iPod touch (6th generation or earlier), or iPad with Home button: Press and hold the Side (or Top) button until the power off slider appears. Drag the slider to turn off your device. Connect your device to your computer while holding the Home button. Keep holding the Home button until you see the recovery mode screen.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204306

Forum Links
Forum Rules