Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > is my dog mad at me?

is my dog mad at me?
macfantn
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2006, 09:12 PM

my dog chewed up a pillow on my couch and also chewed on my mini blinds, I leave her out while at work for about 9 hours she doesn't pee in the house. This is the first time in the 4 months i've had her she has chewed on stuff that isn't hers. My friend says she is mad at me? is that possible if so how can I correct this?
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2006, 09:36 PM

She's lonely, needs more interaction, and more excercise.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2006, 09:45 PM

makes sense I was out last night after work, didn't get much attention. I am going to crate her while at work now though.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2006, 09:47 PM

Stick her outside for 9 hours for chewing on the your pillow.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2006, 09:56 PM

outside isn't good, no fenced in yard
( Last edited by macfantn; Nov 29, 2006 at 11:41 PM. )

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2006, 09:56 PM

So...

She's outside in nature, able to run around and whatever -- but she still gets stressed over boredom.

Your solution is to put her in a crate?

Methinks you ought to find her a new home?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

Yose
Senior User
Nov 29, 2006, 10:45 PM

Neighours of mine crated their aussie sheppard whenever they were not around during the day. The dog was very well adapted to being in there when it was supposed to be.

Infact, they did this with 2 generations of Aussies and it worked amazingly, but it takes effort and care to train them properly, its not like you can just put them in the crate and goto the movies.
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2006, 11:40 PM

well she was always in a crate until recently I decided to leave her out, just easier for me and thought she'd like it. I am going back to the crate she looked at that as her home and was fine in the crate.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2006, 12:07 AM

Yes, she's mad. Doggies are sensitive.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2006, 12:09 AM

If you crate your dog for nine hours a day you shouldn't have a dog. Seriously.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2006, 12:15 AM

Exactly.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2006, 12:18 AM

9 hrs is too long. hire a sitter.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2006, 12:27 AM

Tie her to a tree near the kindergarten.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2006, 12:53 AM

There's all sorts of crap on the net and I guess a "tradition" of crating dogs. I suppose if enough people get together and manage to convince themselves that this is a humane way to keep a dog, then it tends to catch on.

Ω
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2006, 06:25 AM

If I use the Report Abuse link does that report macfantn to the relevant authorities?

A pet is a privilege. Treat them as such.
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

andi*pandi
Nov 30, 2006, 09:17 AM

crating is the new way to train a dog, I guess. Everyone I know who's gotten a dog in the past 10 years has done the crate thing. Easier for nighttime pottytraining as well, the dog won't go where it sleeps.

sounds like the dog is lonely though. Have you thought of putting up a run? (a long leash attached to a wire, they can run back and forth but not leave the yard) My sister does this for her dog during the day. Dog runs, plays, watches the wildlife, etc.

where is our dog expert?

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2006, 10:55 AM

I live in a townhouse so leaving her outside isn't a option, I put her back the crate this morning, she willingly went in. and she has a few bones to chew on and a blanket to sleep on so i'm sure she will be fine.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2006, 11:01 AM

I hate dogs with a passion, but you shouldn't own one, I'm sorry. NO dog is "happy" or "fine" being shoved in a crate.

Take her to the shelter so someone who can give her a real life can have her.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2006, 11:13 AM

Mauri is right - although I personally like both cats and dogs.

Why have a dog in the first place if you haven't got the time and the space to take care of it properly.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2006, 11:15 AM

(Maury)

tavilach
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2006, 04:29 AM

I have to second everyone's opinions. 9 hours? Poor friggin' dog. That's just not right.
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

iCol
Senior User
Dec 5, 2006, 06:35 AM

Yeah, dude, seriously... to take care of any dog, no matter how small, you need to have the time to look after it properly - at the very least you should be walking her 3 times a day - in the morning, when you get home and before you go to bed... she probably feels pretty pent up in a house all day on her own, and needs some interaction. When you get home you need to make sure she gets lots of social activity - remember, dogs naturally live in packs - otherwise she is going to go weird on you.

And if she is chewing things up while you are out of the house, you need to train her more - you can't leave a dog pent up in a box for 9 hours a day - that isn't just lazy, thats cruel... really cruel. If you are honestly going to lock her in a box for 9 hours a day for the rest of her life, dude - you shouldn't have a dog.

I wanted to get a new dog this year, and even though I live 10 minutes from work, and would be able to walk him/her on my lunchbreak... I still decided leaving a dog alone in a house for most of the day wouldn't be fair on the dog...

However, if you can train her, and can take the time to walk her, and love her, and keep her social, then all the best to you and your little friend. Just remember, having a dog is a privilage...
F is for Fooyork.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2006, 06:42 AM

So if he has a family and needs to work 9 hours, would you say that he shouldn't have a family? Some of you guys are way too judgmental. Try to give constructive advise rather than spewing emotional nonsense.

Besides you don't know the whole story. Maybe he works 9 hours a day but has the entire weekend free, and plays with his dog often, when he has a chance. Anyway, I am inclined to agree with the loneliness/boredom/anxiety theory. You need to find some way to alleviate that for her. I also wouldn't favor putting her in a cage, though it could work on a limited basis. But 9 hours in a cage won't help her.

Perhaps if you set up a routine for her where she knows she'll be getting attention at a certain hour in the day for some time, she'd be less anxious and instead look forward to that time with you. Dogs are good with routines, generally.

USB HUB
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2006, 06:48 AM

I think she was just bored and no one was home. I don't agree with crating but if that is what she is used to then you may want to put her back in for awhile and then try to let her out again but leave the crate door open so she can go in and out. I know many people who crate their dogs and I don't like it but if you let her when your home then it might be okay. I have friends that don't let theirs out of the crate except to go outside (what a waste!) ... but I'm the type that hates to see birds in cages.

iCol
Senior User
Dec 5, 2006, 07:05 AM

"So if he has a family and needs to work 9 hours, would you say that he shouldn't have a family? Some of you guys are way too judgmental. Try to give constructive advise rather than spewing emotional nonsense."

I'm sorry - but that is one of the most stupid things I have heard so far today. If he was a single parent, and was leaving his kid at home for 9 hours a day on its own - then NO, HE SHOULDN'T HAVE A FAMILY! Would you leave your 18 month old daughter alone in an apartment all day? Or your 5 year old son?

No, of course you wouldn't. You would either take them to a babysitters', or to a playgroup, or somewhere else they are going to get attention, excersize and supervision.

And that's great if he has free weekends to spend loads of time with the wee doggy, but that doesn't take away the 5 days out of the 7 when the little thing will be going out of its mind locked up in a box.

Dogs are smart - they need mental stimulation, they need plenty of attention, they need plenty of interaction - I'm not saying the guy can't have a dog and work at the same time, I am just saying he needs to figure out how to give the dog a good balance - the dog needs lots of excersize, lots of attention. If the guy is going out after work, and not seeing the dog at all - then this is why she is getting frustrated and damaging things. She is sat at home going out of her mind with boredom.

The only thing I completely disagree with is putting the dog in a box all day. That's just wrong. Really, really wrong.
F is for Fooyork.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2006, 08:15 AM

You're missing the point, Gabriel. The DOG is the one exhibiting behavior issues due to loneliness and anxiety -- THAT'S what we're responding to.

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2006, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
So...

She's outside in nature, able to run around and whatever -- but she still gets stressed over boredom.

Your solution is to put her in a crate?

Methinks you ought to find her a new home?
i know for a fact my dog gets bored. she doesn't 'act out' but i can tell she is lonely (during the day) by the way she acts when i get home.

not really sure what the solution is though.

rlinhares
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2006, 01:33 AM

"She's lonely, needs more interaction, and more excercise."
Sounds like u r talking bout my GF

Seriouslly: don´t lock the dog for 9 hours. Of course she´s F$%#@ angry. Wouldn´t you be?

Can you get a long chain and tie her to a three or something? with a nice dog house for her to rest and be protected from rain and etc. At least she could "run", be outdoors and just be distracted. I think distraction is the key world. And dogs need it big time.
2-iphone.com

Dec 6, 2006, 01:59 AM

Maybe your dog has separation anxiety as is mentioned in another thread here?

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2006, 09:34 AM

Surely its Illegal to lock a dog in a box for 9 hours unless its for transportation reasons?

Even if i is legal in the US, it hardly sounds like a good solution to the dogs boredom.

Dec 6, 2006, 12:03 PM

Maybe you should find the dog a new home where you don't lock the dog up as much?

Just a thought...

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2006, 01:30 PM

wow

has anyone here house trained a dog?

from my experince raising a 90 lb yellow lab since he was a couple month old, they don't mind the crate hell he loved it once we started giving him a treat once he was in.

Have you guys seen a crate? there not the same thing as a pet transporter, there is enough room to get up move around stretch and such. When he was in there all he did was sleep, he wasn't barking, complaining chewing.

Granted we stopped using a crate after the first year or so, but you know what he does around the house now when we are at work? Sleep. He has ton of energy when we swing home cause thats what he is conditioned him to be like.

There is no real difference between keeping him in the house for 9 hours or keeping him in the crate.

do some reading

Dog Owner's Guide: Dog Crate Q & A's

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2006, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
Surely its Illegal to lock a dog in a box for 9 hours unless its for transportation reasons?

Even if i is legal in the US, it hardly sounds like a good solution to the dogs boredom.
and eating dog is much better?

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2006, 01:53 PM

Crating a dog is for training purposes. There is no excuse for keeping a dog in a crate for 9 hours a day. If you have to do that you shouldn't have a dog. Period.

And Gabriel, equating family to a dog is ridiculous. Your family is self sufficient and likely have other things to do whist you are working (school, work, etc.).

If you leave a dog in a crate for 9 hours, what is he/she suppossed to do in that time? Dogs are social animals and need attention, interactivity, and activities. If you cannot provide that, find someone who can.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2006, 01:55 PM

the solution to all problems with dogs is you need to wear them out with a bit of exercise.

park + frisbee for him, chicks pet him and say "how cute!" for you. otherwise, this will just get worse.

Turias
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2006, 02:27 PM

Get some door gates or something similar and quarantine the dog to a few rooms which are "dog proof". Nothing to chew on. No sofas, blinds, etc. Then give her a few toys/bones to chew on/play with. Then really, just give her a lot of attention when you get home.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2006, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Crating a dog is for training purposes. There is no excuse for keeping a dog in a crate for 9 hours a day. If you have to do that you shouldn't have a dog. Period.
agreed, and apprently the dog isn't trained.

Rumor
Dec 6, 2006, 05:02 PM

This is a simple fix.

Get another dog. Then she'll have company during the day.

I just recently got another cat for that very reason.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

James L
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2006, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Apple Pro Underwear View Post
the solution to all problems with dogs is you need to wear them out with a bit of exercise.

park + frisbee for him, chicks pet him and say "how cute!" for you. otherwise, this will just get worse.
Well said.

Crate training is based on the premise of the crate being a safe environment for the dog. Remember, dogs are den animals by nature. The crate is used through the training year(s) to keep the pet, and the house, safe while you are unable to directly supervise the animal.

The crate is never used as punishment. You never put the dog in the crate when you are mad. You never put the dog in the crate to punish it. It is not a time out chair.

It is very easy to make the crate a "happy place" for your dog.

When you first get a puppy, the crate is far and large the most efficient method of training the animal, especially with house breaking it. You build habits very quickly with the crate. Before bed, dog goes pee. When you get up, dog goes pee right away. 20 minutes after eating, dog goes pee, etc.

By around the 1 year mark, with all the retrievers I have raised, I was able to "phase out" the crate. Having said that, my current 2 year old Golden still sleeps in her crate every night, we just don't close the door any longer. Why? She feels safe and comfortable in it. It is her den.

Crate training is not "shoving a dog in a box" as some people seem to think.

Having said that, in regards to the current thread topic:

1) Dogs usually get destructive when they are bored. This means they need much more exercise so they go to sleep tired.

2) I agree that 9 hours in a crate is to long for a young dog. There should at least be someone to come home at lunch for a quick run and pee.

Cheers,

James L

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2006, 05:18 PM

(in regard)

/can't help it

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2006, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
(in regard)

/can't help it
You can help it, you just choose not to.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2006, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by G4ME View Post
and eating dog is much better?
What are you talking about, please explain?
( Last edited by moonmonkey; Dec 7, 2006 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Grammar)

Forum Links
Forum Rules